Some questions about buying some hunting land.

Dads Son

I live in Southeastern PA and I would love to buy some land within 1/2 or 1 hour drive but property prices are cheaper like 4 or 5 hour drive from my place.
Which would be better? Spending more on something within 1 hour drive or getting something for cheaper but having to drive farther? I would be able to get more done in a day if it was closer.
I'm sure some of you have dealt with this before.
Thanks for any information.

The more close the better. I have found that the difference between 60 and 90 minutes, especially if driven on an interstate can be a HUGE difference in price. 90 minutes is my limit though. Thats about when I start getting restless from the drive.

Close has value...fuel, tires, equipment hauling, wear and tear, and the fact that the farther it is the excuses not to go will be easier to come by than if it is not too far away...

Example - I used to live mid county and have a deer lease in the southern tip of the county which was a 35 minute drive from my other home. I would drive down there weekly and when hunting season in October came I would leave my office (mid county) and drive down for a quick bowhunt before dark after work. I now live farthest tier north in our county and haven't been to the deer lease since December because it is out of the way for me much moreso now with a 1 hr and 15 minute drive...

The ultimate is actually living on your property like I do now on the 80 acres we bought...have land on both sides of county road with small amount on one side and large amount on the other. We live on small side and hunt right across the road on our other - perfect setup to be a 5 - 10 minute walk to big bucks from the front porch!

Our drive is just under 3 hrs. Acreage closer in is just stupid expensive. The drive is beautiful and I find it relaxing (accept in snow and ice). A place much closer was just never realistic. I'd spend your efforts trying to find the perfect piece.....which balances many factors, distance, size, habitat, neighbors, future development, appreciation potential, trophy quality etc....

Our drive is just under 3 hrs. Acreage closer in is just stupid expensive. The drive is beautiful and I find it relaxing (accept in snow and ice). A place much closer was just never realistic. I'd spend your efforts trying to find the perfect piece.....which balances many factors, distance, size, habitat, neighbors, future development, appreciation potential, trophy quality etc....
Luckily we had all of that on our piece we bought and my commute to work is exactly the same and my wifes commute to work is 25 minutes less than it was...

My land purchase was originally five hours from home. It was buy there at $130 an acre or buy at home for many thousands an acre and there was no such thing at home as a 5 or 600 acre piece anyway. The numbers may have changed but the difference is probably the same. Around populated areas the price is impossible for deer hunting land but away from populated areas the price is so much less. I'd go for the land away from the populated areas and be willing to drive to it for three, five or even eight hours if that is what it takes.

Sooner than one would think the option to live on the land will happen. It has happened for my wife and I. It was worth all those years of driving to now hunt on the property we live on. Hardly a day goes by that we don't see ten or more deer somewhere on our property whether hunting or just hanging out. So my advice is to buy with the future in mind and drive the extra miles to secure a larger parcel.

Life is good!

I live in Southeastern PA and I would love to buy some land within 1/2 or 1 hour drive but property prices are cheaper like 4 or 5 hour drive from my place.
Which would be better? Spending more on something within 1 hour drive or getting something for cheaper but having to drive farther? I would be able to get more done in a day if it was closer.
I'm sure some of you have dealt with this before.
Thanks for any information.

I Live in SE Pa (Montgomery County). Both my properties are 2.5/3 hrs. away. A happy medium in time to what your looking at. I don't mind it. But i wouldn't want to drive any further. I leave my house around 2-3 am to get there for morning hunts and around 4am to do work.

I Live in SE Pa (Montgomery County). I leave my house around 2-3 am to get there for morning hunts and around 4am to do work.

I often do the same thing, I pack up the truck the night before and leave at 4am to be at the property just when the sun is starting to come up. It always amazed me how fast the two hour drive went when no one else was on the road. I would plan out my whole day while diving and drinking my morning coffee.

I roll out of bed, dress, and 10 minutes later am on stand hunting bucks like these...

15a0faa9c5453260fbcc54fe44f51973.jpg
f3b933e691867eebfd92af9aa80c76e7.jpg

978b1ce29d91f3220e32e280140194ef.jpg

863d4ec95f513baa5107beeef341dd39.jpg

a197a2f06e0d56255f71829266872c16.jpg

Every morning have this view out my dining room window...

2522709ba805eee988b83e7e053a1920.jpg

Sunsets are like this and I miss none of them...

4c3b35c5f36181da7329ff93130c5a23.jpg

I live 35 minutes from where I grew up, no long commutes to work and buying and hewing our home place out of the forest was the best decision we have ever made...

Vacations are now staycations and many weekends we never leave the property...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Six years ago we bought the family hunting property. We worried about such a big purchase with retirement just around the corner, but the idea of losing the place was too much to bear. Now six years later we couldn't imagine not having done it. We spend as much time as we can there, it's only 13 miles from our home, so we're there in 20 minutes. I'm in "hog heaven" on my old tractor bush hogging or fixing ditch crossings, putting up deer stands, picknicking at the camp site, or just sitting and watching the sun set. In our case being closer just makes things easier. Since we're there all the time trespassing and vandalism has almost completely stopped.

I couldn't imagine being 2 hrs away.I forget way to many things when going to the farm.I am 5 1/2 miles away.So I can be in a tree in 15 minutes if I am running late

You guys will probably think I'm crazy for what I'm dealing with then.

I'm six hours from my property. I stay in the neighbor's cabin for now. Thankfully, he's a very nice guy and I try to pull my weight and help share some costs and such. I don't have any storage right now, so I drag all my tools up. So here's my take on it.

I could try to buy land closer, but that would mean 3-4 times as much money per acre. I'd rather quick working years sooner than save on some drive time. I'm not a debt guy, so borrowing and paying for 20 years is not my thing. The hunting isn't great yet, but the upside is huge. There is no real competition from neighbors when it comes to the habitat race. The drive up is therapeutic. It gives time to decompress, think, listen to podcasts, loud music, or catch up with people on the phone. The drive home can get a little long, especially with a hangover. But I've grown out of the need to get plowed the night before I go home.

Being that far away definitely requires some planning and organization. I'm 40 minutes from any real retail services beyond a gas station, liquor store, and small time lumber yard. I've also got a lousy vacation allowance at work, so I really have to prioritize my work and work hard while I'm there. At some point, the work will slow down and I can focus on the roses.

There's upside to it all though as well. I see what I go through to make this stuff happen, and many think I'm crazy. They're probably right, but the reward of seeing things change quickly and impact deer movement are the payoff. I get a hell of a recharge from being up there. As far as hours on the road, it's really not a big deal. All you're really talking about is a few hours of sleep or part of your sunday afternoon. If I leave after work, I get there at 11pm, whereas others may be there by 830. Gas is gas. It's a very tiny part of the overall cost of what I'm doing.

I am at both ends of the spectrum. The farm I share with my father and where we keep our cattle is a 45 min ride from my drive to the front gate. I usually just work on this farm and feed cattle, either dad or I are there every third day or so. But I do hunt it as well, it's nice having something close to home for a quick hunt.
The other farm is a two and half hour ride from the house to the gate, But the cost per acre is less then half of the central farm. Anything within an hours ride of OKC is between 8k to 2500 an acre, depending on the type of land your purchasing. If your two to three hours away it's much more reasonable. For me the farther farm holds two to three times the number of deer per acre and it's much cheaper, so I don't mind the drive. If you buy further away get a small cabin or RV to keep at the farm. I usually only grab a couple of guns and a bag with some clothes in it when I head out, everything else stays there year around. Good luck with your search, keep after it and you will eventually find the farm that's right for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back