Stone Branch, build it, they will come.

I don’t have overabundance of maple in my hardwood forest. But the deer browse it like candy on my stump sprouts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crow’s nest up there! Gonna be sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a cool looking spot.

Thanks guys, I'm pretty excited about this.

Yesterday was roofing day. The farm came with a lot of junk but some valuable debris as well.

DSC07749 (1200 x 800).jpg

I thought that two pieces once laid out was perfect.

DSC07748 (1200 x 800).jpg

First off, I got to installing my rough cut poplar boards out of the cabin. As I was preparing to get on top of the structure I started thinking about me laying in a pile of sticks 18' below as the only thing holding the walls in place was a hand full of 8 pennies toenailed into the sill plates. Well having plenty of 2 x 4s and 16 pennies, I strapped the walls to ledger boards and was good to go after that. Once I set the metal on top I found out that I had about 1/2" inch to spare front and back and was 1/2" shy covering the drippy edge side to side.

DSC07750 (1200 x 800).jpg

Not a biggie, I went back down and snapped off another piece of metal to give myself 4 and 1/2 inches of overhang on the sides.

DSC07753 (1200 x 800).jpg

Fun stuff, today I get to dig out my primo stash of rough cut chestnut boards which unfortunately happen to be buried deep within the cabin.

G

I've had some distractions as of late so progress has been slow but the structure is now tied together. It doesn't help when I have to build with wood like I do metal in the shop, +/- .001. I'm also doing all of my cutting 300' below.

DSC07765 (1200 x 800).jpg

DSC07767 (1200 x 800).jpg

Despite my daily commotion, my 3 main boys are hanging tight, all be it at night. Goofy, I believe to be at least 5 years of age.

IMG_0043 (1300 x 731).jpg

8pt at least 6 years

IMG_0546 (1300 x 731).jpg

and palmate, I believe to be 4 years old. I would like to see him in 2 years.

IMG_0903 (1300 x 731).jpg

G

Except for a couple more cans of paint to finish up some interior decorating and the ladder, the shoot'in house is ready for shoot'in.

View attachment 26193

View attachment 26194

View attachment 26195

My first buck customer at the new shoot'in house camera set was my 8. I've never wanted to kill a 120" deer more than I do this guy.

View attachment 26196

G
Looking good. I like the paint job, Other than the footprint could be a foot wider it looks as good as any shooting house I've seen and I've built a dozen of these. I like the incorporation of planking floor and wall boards over plywood.

Looking good. I like the paint job, Other than the footprint could be a foot wider it looks as good as any shooting house I've seen and I've built a dozen of these. I like the incorporation of planking floor and wall boards over plywood.

Thanks Men-man, I originally was thinking about installing a 4x6 rubber floor mat between the floor planks and the sills but deemed that unnecessary once the planks were in place. The planks are 2" slabs of tamarack with an R value of 2 that deaden sound rather well. The wall boards are either 1" thick planks of tulip or chestnut, with a few thinner boards. Plywood floors and walls can be rather flimsy and sound off like a drum, plywood floors definitely need to be covered. Now we can debate on the width, I sure did. I designed it so that I can sit comfortably in the north east corner and have a full panorama view east, south, to west with only moving my eyes. To look north I only have to tilt and turn my head.

I'm wondering if anyone else has been enticed by one of these. I was in need of a semi-auto that I could actually hit something with. The initial box of 50 rounds that I put through it yesterday, gives indication that this one might fit the niche. I was ringing some metal at 100 yards and can surely hit the vitals of a coyote at 50 yards. I would like to figure out how to reduce the trigger pull by 1- 1 1/2lbs. Had one hiccup, the slide failed to stay open one time after the last bullet which resulted in a dry fire.

DSC07795 (1200 x 800).jpg

G

Thanks Men-man, I originally was thinking about installing a 4x6 rubber floor mat between the floor planks and the sills but deemed that unnecessary once the planks were in place. The planks are 2" slabs of tamarack with an R value of 2 that deaden sound rather well. The wall boards are either 1" thick planks of tulip or chestnut, with a few thinner boards. Plywood floors and walls can be rather flimsy and sound off like a drum, plywood floors definitely need to be covered. Now we can debate on the width, I sure did. I designed it so that I can sit comfortably in the north east corner and have a full panorama view east, south, to west with only moving my eyes. To look north I only have to tilt and turn my head.

I'm wondering if anyone else has been enticed by one of these. I was in need of a semi-auto that I could actually hit something with. The initial box of 50 rounds that I put through it yesterday, gives indication that this one might fit the niche. I was ringing some metal at 100 yards and can surely hit the vitals of a coyote at 50 yards. I would like to figure out how to reduce the trigger pull by 1- 1 1/2lbs. Had one hiccup, the slide failed to stay open one time after the last bullet which resulted in a dry fire.

View attachment 26199

G
Nice. Where are you finding it in tan?

G Shepherd TSI map 2 (927 x 1200).jpg

I am back to killing trees in unit C. Through deduction and experience I have found this time of year to be a very effective time to kill trees.

DSC07798 (1200 x 800).jpg

It is a good mast year here, hard and soft. This particular persimmon tree was a twig, one of a few that I found stuck in a mess of ash. I did recognize it's bark as persimmon and was careful to rake out around it and protect it from the 2 fires that I ran through this area. Now it bears fruit.

DSC07805 (1200 x 800).jpg

DSC07804 (1200 x 800).jpg

DSC07800 (1200 x 800).jpg

Up in a stand in front of one of my bow stands

DSC07808 (1200 x 800).jpg

I found another fruit.

DSC07806 (1200 x 800).jpg

My first tastes of persimmon, I find them to be quite tasty.

DSC07807 (1200 x 800).jpg

Not far away I found another bounty of soft mast littering the ground under a black gum, not so tasty.

DSC07809 (1200 x 800).jpg

DSC07810 (1200 x 800).jpg

G

Nice find on the persimmon tree G.

There is a big white oak only 30 yards away from my tower blind on my 20 acre place. I had never really paid much attention to it until yesterday when I noticed it has been dropping a lot of acorns this year. I had a camera pointed that way, watching a trail that normally gets about 75 pictures in a week. This week that camera had 5,500 pictures, and the ground under the tree looked like a pig pen....

White oak family trees are really getting with it this year.

I am back to killing trees in unit C. Through deduction and experience I have found this time of year to be a very effective time to kill trees.
Are you picking areas based on where you think you'll have the least impact on your bucks, or are you not worried about that? I struggle with that. I did most of my killing basal bark spraying earlier in the year. But, now is probably the best time to kill trees.

Nice find on the persimmon tree G.

There is a big white oak only 30 yards away from my tower blind on my 20 acre place. I had never really paid much attention to it until yesterday when I noticed it has been dropping a lot of acorns this year. I had a camera pointed that way, watching a trail that normally gets about 75 pictures in a week. This week that camera had 5,500 pictures, and the ground under the tree looked like a pig pen....

White oak family trees are really getting with it this year.

Thanks Steve. Two years ago I strategically place my Amphitheater of Hunting stand next to a clump of white oaks that the logger had deemed unworthy of harvesting.

DSC02159 (1200 x 800).jpg

After a December fire lots of acorns were exposed.

IMG_0033 (1300 x 731).jpg

This year while building my shoot'in house, I could here the acorns raining down 100 yards below me. They are being cleaned up daily. The stage is set for a hunt.

G

Are you picking areas based on where you think you'll have the least impact on your bucks, or are you not worried about that? I struggle with that. I did most of my killing basal bark spraying earlier in the year. But, now is probably the best time to kill trees.

Ben I think that all of my commotion up there recently has pushed bucks back and I know that my presence in unit C will effect the deer that like to bed on the opposite slope in unit A. So I'm trying to get killing done closest first. Much of my work in that unit will be in a sugar maple stand where I can girdle later in the winter. I don't use imazapyr in stands of same species trees that I don't what to kill collaterally. I will also be hacking trees in unit D where I won't have any effect on my hunting but may effect the hunting of my neighbors up on my property line.

G

Back