tiller question

Hoosierhunting

I've been looking at buying a used 3 pt. tiller (6') to use around the farm. I've noticed that the Howard Rotovators seem to be held in high regard. They also carry a premium compared to say a Land Pride or King Kutter tiller. There's a 6' HR20 Howard Rotovator for sale near me for $1500. Just wondering if any of you have experience with them and if the premium is justified. If the tiller is the same rotation, and is gear driven with a slip clutch, i'm wondering how much difference there is among them....gauge of steel (weight), hardening of tines,...?

All I know is I borrow a KK 6 footer to do my plots for the past few years - maybe till 2 acres tops - and it has done just fine. Any issues I have had are self inflicted - like tilling material that is too long, too tough or the soil is too damp and all causing plugging issues. You should be able to buy a brand new KK in 6 feet for about 2K. I have never used the brand you ask about.

All I know is I borrow a KK 6 footer to do my plots for the past few years - maybe till 2 acres tops - and it has done just fine. Any issues I have had are self inflicted - like tilling material that is too long, too tough or the soil is too damp and all causing plugging issues. You should be able to buy a brand new KK in 6 feet for about 2K. I have never used the brand you ask about.
Thanks J-bird, I guess that's what i'm wondering....given how much (little) this would be used are the less expensive tillers well-built enough to last. It would probably see less than 4 acres/year. I'd always rather cry once on the day I buy something than multiple times down the road.

I bought a used Bush Hog brand 6' tiller in new condition for $1500 at auction. If you watch farm equipment auctions you can knock a good bit off of new price but stay away from rusted or dented units. I broke a few tines in rocks already, they are easy to replace. If you have rocks you need a heavier duty model, no rocks, get a medium duty one.The gearbox is the most expensive part, if looking at used look for leaking oil, and check oil level in gearbox!

Thanks J-bird, I guess that's what i'm wondering....given how much (little) this would be used are the less expensive tillers well-built enough to last. It would probably see less than 4 acres/year. I'd always rather cry once on the day I buy something than multiple times down the road.
That is why I BORROW one! I do maybe 2 acres a spring and to have that sort of money wrapped up in one to sit there the rest of the time just isn't worth it. I did the old school plow and disc routine prior. Tilling doesn't save me much time, but it does a much better job. My plots are in old ag fields so I don't have much in the way of significant rocks and the like to deal with either. I also am not dealing with roots or stumps and the like. Its a tiller.....not a stump grinder. Get the tool you NEED and not just what you can afford. I have went the cheap route once with equipment....it cost me just as much if not more in the long run and was far more frustrating. Something like a tiller is going to be about how it was used and how it was cared for. Yes things happen and things break - so be certain you can get parts for whatever it is your going to buy as well. Good luck.

That is why I BORROW one! I do maybe 2 acres a spring and to have that sort of money wrapped up in one to sit there the rest of the time just isn't worth it. I did the old school plow and disc routine prior. Tilling doesn't save me much time, but it does a much better job. My plots are in old ag fields so I don't have much in the way of significant rocks and the like to deal with either. I also am not dealing with roots or stumps and the like. Its a tiller.....not a stump grinder. Get the tool you NEED and not just what you can afford. I have went the cheap route once with equipment....it cost me just as much if not more in the long run and was far more frustrating. Something like a tiller is going to be about how it was used and how it was cared for. Yes things happen and things break - so be certain you can get parts for whatever it is your going to buy as well. Good luck.
If I could borrow one I dang sure would! Heck, I've got a nice boat I'd even barter with....speaking of expensive things that don't get used enough to justify themselves! :)

If I could borrow one I dang sure would! Heck, I've got a nice boat I'd even barter with....speaking of expensive things that don't get used enough to justify themselves! :)
Don't start down that road.......expensive things that you don't get much use out of :D:D:D:D

I like my KK to. I bent one of the skid shoes but that was abuse. Steel that thick doesn't normally bend, but I found a hunk steel tilling couple of times and may have caught that skid on stump.

I've used a Woods brand for 7 yrs. No prob even with rocks. I think the KK looks good. I could prob sell you mine as I just used mow and throw last 2 yrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I originally purchased a used Yanmar tiller and had it for 6 years with no issues. I replaced it with a 5 foot King Kutter last year and it is a well built tiller.

Get a KK. I have another, more expensive brand. My buddy has the King Cutter, it's a better tiller than mine and has been very reliable. Can't help with the brand you mentioned, sorry.

I have used a KK for several years with no issues.Only to be sure of when you buy make sure you buy the fluids to go in it as they are shipped dry.I had to argue with the guy where I bought mine because he didn't want to find me a handbook.I wonder how many used ones for sale are being sold because they were ran dry.

To all those who use a tiller....what circumstances lead you to choose a tiller for a particular plot?

I am just beginning my time on a farm and trying to learn as much as i can. I understand agronomy is something people can devote their lives to, so i am not naive enough to think i can learn everything. So when you consider discing, tilling, drilling, using a planter, and throw and mow, what circumstances would lead you to use a tiller on a 3 acre plot over the other methods mentioned?

thanks

Back