Tree bed vs container growing??

ncstewart

As I was watering trees the other day I notice where I had threw my seeds that I thought were duds I had a chestnut seedling! Well I transplanted it to a root pouch but then got thinking. I did no work at all to get that seedling and it looks better than the pot grown trees!

So have been wondering why not just plant in the ground and then transplant? Is it a space issue or is there another reason?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of people do but you when you dig them up to transplant it will essentially be a bare root tree. You lose a lot of feeder roots this way.

Mine is a space issue. I have done a few apple trees that way and would do them all that way if I had the space. Not having to deal with containers and up sizing would be a great time saver for me. If I lost a year of productivity from having to dig up and plant bare root - it would be worth it to me just for the convenience.

A lot of people do but you when you dig them up to transplant it will essentially be a bare root tree. You lose a lot of feeder roots this way.

While I will not dispute that SOME seedlings from feeder root producing pots benefits the tree at the TIME OF PLANTING. I have read a couple of papers recently that say that feeder roots have a life span of 6-9 months, feeder roots are in a continuous replacement cycle. Nothing wrong with planting bare root trees and I would argue that bareroot (field grown) trees have some definite advantages over pot grown trees.

Well thanks guys!
Think next year I will continue with containers but will also double down with some field grown trees.
I'm on a budget with this so seems like a cheap way to get a lot of trees. Also a lot less work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I will not dispute that SOME seedlings from feeder root producing pots benefits the tree at the TIME OF PLANTING. I have read a couple of papers recently that say that feeder roots have a life span of 6-9 months, feeder roots are in a continuous replacement cycle. Nothing wrong with planting bare root trees and I would argue that bareroot (field grown) trees have some definite advantages over pot grown trees.

I agree we do some of both.

Merle has a two gardens he tills compost into every year and plants them o. The edges. I don't have as much room in my yard so I do containers. Both methods work well.

I do my apples in my garden then transplant them after they go dormant in the fall.
My American chestnuts I plant in containers or direct seed where I want them at the farm. I don't plant them in my garden because I may have phytophthora here in the deta and it is an American chestnut killer.
I'm trying all containers on my chestnuts this year because of the vole, raccoon, squirrel, and whatever other unknown chestnut eaters there are running around my place refuse to leave my direct seeded trees alone.

I do both. Fabric pots for dense root systems and garden bed for easy maintenance. Garden seedlings growing in good soil and good moisture might surprise you with their vigor. When i dig them, i dont shake off all the soil and place them into Wal-mart sacks to hold things together.

Back