Uneaten Swamp Chestnut Oak Acorns

Fishman

I went to my local wildlife management area yesterday just to walk around in the woods a little bit. I did not do much walking since the woods were flooded due to recent rains. I did find a swamp chestnut oak tree that had thousands of acorns still sitting on the ground. The acorns were rotted, but I did notice a few seedlings around the tree that germinated. The question I have is why so many acorns would still be on the ground. I saw a couple of squirrels near this tree. I know there are other animals (deer, raccoons, hogs) around the area that eat acorns. While this is not the most secluded area in the wildlife management area, it is not a city park either. I do not think people would keep the animals away. We had plenty of rain last year, so the acorns should have been well formed and were not aborted early due to drought or adverse weather conditions. Any ideas on why these acorns were not consumed?

Never heard of deer allowing swamp chestnut oak acorns lay around like that. That would insult my deer.

I haven't heard or seen swamp chestnut oaks laying around to rot either. That is why I am curious to see if someone has any ideas on why they were left on the ground. I will check again around October and see if they taste bad. That is the only thing I can think is that they just don't taste good.

May have gotten worms in them or rotted on the tree.
Yeah on the worms. I've seen an oak' s entire crop infested with worms. Everyone should make a habit of breaking open acorns and surveying them when we find a bunch laying under the tree. Sometimes there isn't even one that a deer would eat.
I always check the inside of acorns.

Back