Up Close and Personal

jteeen

Well since I have yet to get a single buck on camera, I will post these of a doe modeling for the camera. This is in the apple orchard where they like to hang out pretty much every night. The yote always seems to be following them around, but I have one picture where the 3 does are in the same frame as the coyote, I guess they aren't scared. One of these does was pregnant, so I'm not sure what happened to the fawn. Coyotes are pretty thick around here.
STC_0157.jpg

STC_0206.jpg

STC_0275.jpg

STC_0183.jpg

Here is a picture from a different place I hunt, with twins:
MFDC0487.jpg

Dont feel bad I just pulled the cards out of my cameras after being out 2 weeks and not a shooter buck to be found. Did have antlers, but will take another 2-3 years before they will be shooters!

Dont feel bad I just pulled the cards out of my cameras after being out 2 weeks and not a shooter buck to be found. Did have antlers, but will take another 2-3 years before they will be shooters!
I guess it could be alot worse. I know where the does are at and that is a good thing towards the end of October.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

What area of NE OK are you at? I like seeing people that hunt similar topo and have the same land/ground problems as me!

What area of NE OK are you at? I like seeing people that hunt similar topo and have the same land/ground problems as me!
Family property is near the Arkansas border in Adair county. I can see the border from a few stands. Not too far east from Kubotas property. I also hunt up near the Kansas border in the bean fields, some real fat deer up there. The doe I killed last year was very young and about 100 lbs gutted. Where are you at?

This may not apply to everyone but I have been doing some studying of how things play out with my scouting camera pictures. During the summer portion of the year what I have been finding is: I set camera out and within day 1 I will begin to get some pictures of doe and fawns. After after being out for 4 or 5 days I will begin to start getting pictures of younger bucks. Week 2 the bucks begin to get more mature that show up. What I find very interesting is once I start getting some pictures of mature bucks they seem to show up dang near every day at that location.

What this was finally telling me is don't think that those mature bucks don't know that camera is there and when you are in and out checking cards. After checking cards even in a pouring down rain at noon, those mature bucks will avoid that area for a week or more from what my studies are showing. Now I am sure things are different in different parts of the country or different situations. I also know that as the rut ramps up things will change and you could be getting a picture of a big boy within an hour of hanging the camera. But, bucks in general are more tolerant to human contact during the rut as well. Just something I have been finding interesting and I go through all the necessary precautions when I check cameras, rubber boots, sprayed down, try to check them in the rain or with rain in the forecast, etc.

Nice! Sounds like some good spots. I am in the Lake Eucha area.
They aren't bad, at our family property I first thought there were no big bucks, but with some summer scouting I have found that there are plenty they just are good at hiding (duh). The rest of our family is just a sit and wait type hunter during gun season. Sometimes they get lucky, but I have the run of the place during bow season.

I'm not sure if you have any ag fields near you, but I don't do any scouting up near the border. I know there will be deer in the trees between fields, and there are plenty.

One more thing for is NE OK folks is that the rifle season was terrible last year, harvest was way down, so this year should be great.

I was starting to think I was the only one that just had pictures of Does and fawns. Everyone is showing me pictures of shooter bucks and I have hundreds pictures of flat tops.

don't worry about not seeing bucks fellas. as long as the does are there and hanging around, the bucks will be there too. patience

Back