What do I do

WCL

I'm only 18 and trying to learn anything about deer hunting as I possibly can! So bare with me for having not too much knowledge on this stuff. I have a small piece of private property that is bordering a huge hunting lease. It's roughly 4 or 5 acres of land. There's a strip of woods (what I've heard people call a bottle neck) that comes from the hunting lease into my property. The strip of woods is a small branch and the open part is a huge cutover that they just clearcut not too long ago. This small piece of private land has not been hunted in years, so I put up a camera on a corn pile to see what was coming in and there is so much deer movement it's unreal. I have pictures of bucks bedding down right where my corn pile is. But I only have night activity and no day time. Now this piece of property of mine has a small open section where corn used to be planted years ago. Probably little less than an Acre. What I have in mind is planting a good food source in that small field all year round and hoping later in the year have deer feeding there during the day. My plan is to put up a lock on or climber up where the bottle neck meets my property and catch them coming in during the day.

Does this sound right? Or should I approach it differently?
I live in southeast Louisiana. I see alot of people on here recommend chicory, white clover, or red clover. What do y'all recommend me plant?

Like I said, I don't know much and am trying to learn. I would love some advice!

I live in SE Louisiana, and am familiar with your situation. I know a lot of people say baiting is a sure thing, but around here with clubs and everyone on them feeding, it's a good way to get night pictures. They will avoid them during the day. Get rid of that. With the cutover, you should have a pretty good bedding/daytime area. If that spot was planted in corn before, you might could plant it again and leave it standing for a secure food source they may feel comfortable feeding in during the daylight. Only access it when your scent is not blowing to the cutover.

Deer are feeding at night largely because of the hunting pressure. You can't control that. If you plat something they will use it during daylight hours in the summer. I would focus on bowhunting before hunting pressure gets heavy. I probably would not plant anything for several years. If deer are used to using that small strip as a transit corridor, I would not want to disturb the area now. After hunting it for a year or two you will get a feel for how deer move during different seasons. After that, you will have a better idea of if a food plot would be beneficial and better where to put it.

I know you are anxious like most folks to put in a food plot, but with such a small property, you could be ruining a great hunting spot. Another thing I would do is to get rid of the corn pile. I don't know if baiting is permitted in your state and if your personal ethics will allow it. If not, your corn pile changes how deer relate to your property. Instead, I'll either get more cams or move your cam to different locations. This will give you a better feel for how deer move naturally.

Once of the best things you can do is to limit your hunting. On a small piece of ground like that, deer will quickly figure you out. You will need to carefully choose you stand locations and ingress/egress routes. You will want to only hunt a stand when the wind is right.

You haven't discussed your camera specifically, but human intrusion has a negative impact. A wireless cam with a true black flash has the least impact on deer and gives you the best information with the least disturbance.

Deer are feeding at night largely because of the hunting pressure. You can't control that. If you plat something they will use it during daylight hours in the summer. I would focus on bowhunting before hunting pressure gets heavy. I probably would not plant anything for several years. If deer are used to using that small strip as a transit corridor, I would not want to disturb the area now. After hunting it for a year or two you will get a feel for how deer move during different seasons. After that, you will have a better idea of if a food plot would be beneficial and better where to put it.

I know you are anxious like most folks to put in a food plot, but with such a small property, you could be ruining a great hunting spot. Another thing I would do is to get rid of the corn pile. I don't know if baiting is permitted in your state and if your personal ethics will allow it. If not, your corn pile changes how deer relate to your property. Instead, I'll either get more cams or move your cam to different locations. This will give you a better feel for how deer move naturally.

Once of the best things you can do is to limit your hunting. On a small piece of ground like that, deer will quickly figure you out. You will need to carefully choose you stand locations and ingress/egress routes. You will want to only hunt a stand when the wind is right.

You haven't discussed your camera specifically, but human intrusion has a negative impact. A wireless cam with a true black flash has the least impact on deer and gives you the best information with the least disturbance.
10-4. Do deer usually keep their same routine all year round if there's no pressure or disturbance? Or does it change?

would you pull out everything now and leave it alone till next season?
If so when would you start going back and figuring out their movement?

10-4. Do deer usually keep their same routine all year round if there's no pressure or disturbance? Or does it change?

would you pull out everything now and leave it alone till next season?
If so when would you start going back and figuring out their movement?
No, lots of things affect deer movement. There are seasonal changes that occur slowly over time and some food sources peak and scenesce. There are also cover/vegetation changes. You clear cut will be ideal for the next few years until it canopies. If it was just cut, you probably have 5-7 years depending on whether it was replanted or not.

My cameras run 24/7/365 and you can learn a lot about deer movement in general outside the season. I helps you ask yourself why? For example, most of my cams are on small fields. I found that suddenly in September pictures dry up for a week or so and then rebound. What was happening? We have storms in September that usually knock down a sizable amount of acorns. With those acorns on the ground, deer significantly reduce my small field usage, but they clean them up pretty quickly. They begin using fields again until the natural drop occurs. That is just an example.

You can scout outside the season, but I like to stay out of the woods about a month or so before our archery season begins. While cams can help, figuring out movement comes from experience over time. Scouting outside the season plays a role. Observations during hunting are very important as you are watching what is going on during the season. Camera show a very small slice compared to in person observations.

Best of luck!

You could be missing out on some rut action if you do that. Hunt it being mindful of wind.
Good point. Depending on where you are in LA the peak rut can be later than in most areas. In general, the rut is more stretched out in the south.

You guys have helped me out a lot. I appreciate it very much! I plan to hunt it the rest of the season only when the wind is right, but do away with the corn pile. I'll keep a camera up all year round and come bow season hopefully I can sneak in and get a good en' lol.

Thanks a lot

Back