Upstate Obsession

YIKES! That is a beautiful animal. The angle of the photograph should not be showing a large hind end but yet it does. That would be a great looking deer for Nov. 1 but it is an absolutely HUGE deer for this date. That deer has some body mass and maybe a couple of 4 1/2 inch mass measurements on each side to boot.
If the next three weeks hold as forecast weather wise you are going to be hunting the best New York has ever had to offer come fall.

My deer didn't look that good in November:eek:. If you don't have deep snows in the next 2-3 weeks your deer will be in real good shape. These warmer temps and no snow really let them recover.

LAK, bow is approximately 6 weeks, rifle 3 weeks and MZ 2 weeks.

Dave, our place has done exactly what the consultant predicted. Excess food and the hinge cuts have sucked deer in from the neighbors, and low pressure has kept them here. If things remain as they are today, we'll go into next season with 8 bucks that are 41/2 or older. I'm hoping my health will allow me to really take advantage of it next year. I went for a walk today checking out browse and food in the plots. I'm now confident the deer will get through the difficult late winter/early spring in great shape. Nearly 3 acres of rye will be greening up as spring rolls late April. Love to get you down this way to go for a walk late spring.

I'd be happy to host a tour this spring for any that would like to attend. I'll even fire up the smoker for some good eats. Love to see your place as well Matt.

IMG_0244.JPG Time for another update. With 50 degree temps, we were able to get out and check some cameras and take some pictures. This is our rutabaga/Winfred plots. All these tracks are from the last week.

IMG_0247.JPG This is an adjacent LC brassica plot. There was no evidence of digging. Before the last snows, there were plenty of turnips and radishes several weeks ago.

IMG_0246.JPG IMG_0245.JPG The pileated woodpeckers have been busy this week (a week ago I walked this trail and saw nothing). I'm kind of pissed at what their doing to these regal maples.

View attachment 6058 Time for another update. With 50 degree temps, we were able to get out and check some cameras and take some pictures. This is our rutabaga/Winfred plots. All these tracks are from the last week.

Glad to see your fields are so well utilized. That is a lot of tracks. The old expression "like Grand Central Station" fits your field to a T. That field is providing a large number of deer feed days for sure. Is the browse in the surrounding woods holding up to that extreme amount of traffic?

And don't blame the woodpeckers;They didn't put the bugs there that they are eating!

Browse is in surprisingly good shape. I think all the hinge cuts and plots have really helped.Still have some corn standing as well. Some of those Winfred stalks were close to 2" in diameter. They are eating those to the ground as well as digging for the rutabaga tubers. I'm really surprised they've abandoned the LC plot--sure that wouldn't be the case if more palatable/available food wasn't present. In fairness, the LC mix never got more than a foot tall so it never carried the tonnage due to the drought. Still I'm surprised.

Last edited:
View attachment 6068 View attachment 6067 The pileated woodpeckers have been busy this week (a week ago I walked this trail and saw nothing). I'm kind of pissed at what their doing to these regal maples.

If they are working a tree, they are dead trees walking with disease or insect. Unfortunately I have some of them too, and have cut enough down to find out the pecker knew what I didn't. They sure can drill a mine tho, and noisy. They worked a tree that I sure was healthy and one day going to stand, it lay on the ground, completely hollow from disease. Good thread, I enjoy.

IMG_0251.JPG Time for a quick updates. Things are cold and very windy. Despite miles of walking, still haven't found a shed. I've a good sense of browse use and am pleased--there's tons of untouched browse on the mountain. I've also realized the late winter early spring winds have put a huge amount of tender tree tops on the forest floor. A walk today showed the deer are quick to hit this food source. The deer in the foreground and a couple in the background are some of our mature bucks---they look in great shape to me.

IMG_0253.JPG IMG_0254.JPG A walk through the remaining corn/beans show plenty of grain remains. I'm confident the deer will have plenty of eats until greenup in early May. With the heavy snows forcast this week, it's comforting knowing the deer will be well fed in what is typically the toughest time of the year. I'd planned on hinging a couple dozen trees to put more food within reach but truly don't see the need.

IMG_0207.JPG Yes, that is a 3/4 ton 4wd truck that the drifts have buried. This is why lots of browse matters. Glad there's still some corn on the stalks as well.

View attachment 6324 View attachment 6322 A walk through the remaining corn/beans show plenty of grain remains. I'm confident the deer will have plenty of eats until greenup in early May. With the heavy snows forcast this week, it's comforting knowing the deer will be well fed in what is typically the toughest time of the year. I'd planned on hinging a couple dozen trees to put more food within reach but truly don't see the need.

Can't believe the ears of corn on those stalks. In your weather I would assume the deer would have eaten it all by now!

Back