What to plant this fall?

Stevieray

I have 110 lbs of a mix which should be enough to cover 4 acres. I want to add additional seed so I can plant 5 acre plot. I have the following:

Grazer Maxx Wheat - 85 lbs
Oats - 15 lbs
Bermseem Clover - 6 lbs
White Clover - 8 lbs
Brassica - 4 lbs

I was thinking of getting some purple top turnip, dwarf essex rape, and groundhog forage radish seed. Would this be good to add to the seed I already have?

I have 110 lbs of a mix which should be enough to cover 4 acres. I want to add additional seed so I can plant 5 acre plot. I have the following:

Grazer Maxx Wheat - 85 lbs
Oats - 15 lbs
Bermseem Clover - 6 lbs
White Clover - 8 lbs
Brassica - 4 lbs

I was thinking of getting some purple top turnip, dwarf essex rape, and groundhog forage radish seed. Would this be good to add to the seed I already have?
I would consider adding 100 lbs of oats to your mix just for three acres, this will give you a nice fall plot and a great clover patch in the spring. Then I would put 20 lb of the threeway brassica in a separate 2 acre strip. You will need to get the brassica out soon and pray for rain.

That is a good mix you have and the three you mention will only make it better. To stretch it to 5 acres I would add another 50 lb bag of winter wheat and another 5-10 lbs of clover, Ladino grows really well up here in central Indiana, not sure in your area. From what i've heard, deer are generally more likely to browse the seed heads of wheat versus oats once they mature. Oats work well for hunting season if it doesn't grow too tall and become less palatable, and are hard to beat as a soil builder, so having some of both isn't a bad thing. I switched from oats to wheat this year to see if the deer browse the mature seed heads better, they don't really touch the mature oat seed heads in my area. Oats have worked great to reduce the weeds in my plots, build the soil, and greatly reduce the need for fertilizer and pesticides.

I have been impressed with a red clover called Barduro I found in a BOB mix. I made a post about it in the "BOB food plot mixes" section. My deer really liked it this summer even with soybeans being right there.

Depending on how you are planting - you could consider some sort of winter pea as well. If your actually planting/drilling I thinks peas could be an option, if your broadcasting peas won't do as well and will mostly feed the birds. They are a little larger seed and need to be covered for best results.

Couple of questions, are you wanting to have an annual plot or are you wanting to establish the clover in this plot? Will oats over winter where you are in OK? If so I would go with 1 bu of oats, 1 bu of wheat, then take out the clover and go with something like Austrian Winter peas or field peas along with a brassica.

I don't understand the idea of planting clover into an annual plot.

Is that what you are planting, per acre? That looks like enough seed for 2 acres, at most.

With 5 acres, I'd be planting a brassica mix this weekend on about half of and then a cereal grain/legume mix in 4-6 weeks. I wouldn't plant all 5 acres to just one mix, but if I did, it would have winter rye and wheat as a base, with legumes (clovers), radish and chicory.

Back