Wood Arrows!

Very Nice! Do you have a feather chopper...I used to chop all my fletching out of turkey wing feathers back when I was shooting wood.

On the 3river shafts I used to like to do a burnish on the shafts for a pattern with a propane torch...I thought it looked good and was kind of my way of doing a camo job on them.

Very Nice! Do you have a feather chopper...I used to chop all my fletching out of turkey wing feathers back when I was shooting wood.

On the 3river shafts I used to like to do a burnish on the shafts for a pattern with a propane torch...I thought it looked good and was kind of my way of doing a camo job on them.

I used a chopper on these. The turkey feathers are from a bird that I harvested. I was thinking about using the torch on some too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good. Wild turkey feathers really give it a classic look. They don't show up well at all in flight though. When I use them, I always have bright nocks and hen feathers.

Used to be that all arrows were made of wood. I used to fletch the feathers on a device that clamped to the arrow, and after the glue dried the device was removed, and the arrow was placed on a rest and turned so that the feathers were evenly burned off on a hot wire. Having also fletched many arrows, those arrows look nice.

Used to be that all arrows were made of wood. I used to fletch the feathers on a device that clamped to the arrow, and after the glue dried the device was removed, and the arrow was placed on a rest and turned so that the feathers were evenly burned off on a hot wire. Having also fletched many arrows, those arrows look nice.
Thanks. I used a chopper but have thought about trying to make a burner someday. I think it would work better.

It cuts a feather to shape before glueing it to the shaft. Just place a full feather in the jig and hit it with a mallet.IMG_1879.JPG

ALwoodsman...thats a work of art! I've only been into the traditional scene for 3 years. Never shot a wood arrow out of my bow. Lots of self bow guys on the local forum that make beautiful self bows and arrows but definitely out of my league. Sticking with wannabe look-a-like carbon arrows but they sure shoot good.

Thanks TC. This was my first attempt at wood arrows. I have been using carbons too. A friend of mine makes self bows and flint points. He has started mounting his flint points on carbon shafts!

Back