17 Year Old Durana clover

That's impressive Ben. Good job. Does it have to compete much with grasses at that location?

Last edited:
That's impressive Ben. Good job. Does it have to compete much with grasses?
It was pretty grass free when established. I planted some Eagle forage soybeans, and after they turned yellow, I broadcasted the Durana into them. Since then, it is mowed regularly. It is an area that stays pretty moist (except at the end of summer/early fall) with scattered pines. But, there is volunteer grass.

It was pretty grass free when established. I planted some Eagle forage soybeans, and after they turned yellow, I broadcasted the Durana into them. Since then, it is mowed regularly. It is an area that stays pretty moist (except at the end of summer/early fall) with scattered pines. But, there is volunteer grass.

I have some Durana plots too and have been able to easily control grasses with clethodim. Here is a pic taken Saturday of where I recently killed grasses in a clover plot.
IMG_3929.jpeg

I have been impressed with our small durana plot. We ringed a food plot that was cut out of a cedar thicket with clovers. I wasn't sure what was best so one edge was durana, one was whitetail institute, one was another brands clover mix, and the final edge was a homemade mix with some patriot thrown in. the durana established the best, followed by the homemade mix with patriot...the whitetail institute did good the first year, but was gone by year 2, the other mix i never saw anything to write home about (may have been older seed as i bought on sale from tractor supply on a whim). we are having some more work down on this plot later this year expanding the plot, so once we finish that aspect, i'll be going back with durana on those edges.

I'm not sure i'll get 17 years as the deer keep it eaten down to the point i can't really mow, but it is producing the flowers and seed, so hopefully they "trample" it down.

Also a crazy note - one spot that used to be the mineral lick is the thickest for durana. mineral licks were shutdown in our area due to CWD. we received notice a month after "reupping" the mineral in the spot, so we shoveled out the new mineral on the ground, then used a garden rototiller to bury what we couldn't shovel up, along with throwing in new dirt to "fill" the hole. i was worried the salt would "kill" anything in that area, but the durana shot off the thickest of all - it is kept the shortest of the whole border as well. oh yeah, this spot is also "under" a walnut tree which is notorious for impeding a lot of ground cover from growing. As noted, very impressed with durana.

Back