2020 Live from the Stand

In the oaks...10 does and a small buck so far. Have heard multiple buck grunts but can’t see the deer down in the creek bottom where it is coming from...

The chase is on in upstate NY! Yesterday, the weather broke cold and clear. Knew the deer would be moving and tried to get in the stand early afternoon. Notwithstanding heading in at 2:00, I bumped deer heading to the blind. Had a good sit. Saw 25+ deer including 3 shooters that were just out of range for a sitting bow shot. Here is one of the bucks I passed. D45283B1-8C3F-417D-B7D0-E5028F7A4F7B.jpeg

That’s a nice buck jlane. Bigun too !

Not the biggest in weight but probably the biggest in antler size we have harvested off of our place. We never measure any racks but there are 3, including this one, that are very close to each other.

Slightly delayed live update. I took my daughter hunting with me this afternoon and we had a gimpy doe come in about 3:30 and bed down. We lost sight of her but she eventually got up sometime between 4:15 and 4:30 and worked her way toward us and I shot her just before 5:00. She couldn't keep weight on her front left leg when standing still and she limped on it when she stepped so I felt like it was the right thing to do. Anyway, I was glad my daughter was able to finally be there for a harvest and we also saw a small buck not long after the doe bedded down.

37fe3ce5cb378789d4c565b11ae58219.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

So I went to my rut stand again this morning. First thing this morning a beautiful mature 8 walked right to my stand. As I went to draw back my release slipped and my arrow separated from my nock. Luckily my rest caught the arrow and I was able to reconnect. Unfortunately at that time the deer was stepping broadside into a shooting lane at 5 yards. He stopped and looked at me. I waited to draw until he started walking again but at that time he was at a hard quartering away, almost straight away. I tried to stop him but he trotted off fast. I was pretty bummed.

30 minutes later this guy came from the direction the first buck went, but crossed at 24 yards. I figured I should draw back on him for practice. I lined the pin up and it just felt right. I released the arrow and he ran 50 yards and tipped over.

He weighed 170 pounds live. My wife and daughters will be happy my season is down to one doe tag. And my beagles will be happy rabbit season starts a month earlier too. BA8A7478-80F0-4B08-B393-D836D760B1E4.jpeg

Yeah first real sit of the Season.

Got out for the last 90 minutes of the day yesterday and did see one at the far end of one of my lanes, but it was almost dark then.

That plot is looking good! Cam pics showed the deer have been using it for the last 3-days before I got here, but only Does and Fawns.

So in another stand for today. This cam is turning into a hunk of junk. Works for a day or two then stops. Seems to be having trouble seeing the SDCard. So no pics from here.

But shot two from here last year, so giving it a full day to see what happens.

Some pics
a8cd620803512ce1098a051358040a07.jpg

fba60b695fe6e2fb7e4b06c50c9ae521.jpg

a07b187c0f6af038e2755d79aeef1fbd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First sit of the season for me tonight. It was hot, 97 degrees in the blind. I was surprised though that I saw deer early. Covered up with does from from 2 until past dark. Final count was 7 does a spike and 4 hen turkeys.

Woohoo ! General opener this morning. Been in the stand about 15 minutes and waiting on daylight.

“Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed” my friend, the late Kennith Ross. R. I. P.

Last edited:
Sounded like Deliverance this morning in the woods !

“Squeal like a pig” A big group came into my buddy’s stand and all but one left. o_O

I’m in my rut stand this morning and the deer aren’t cooperating. Nothing but turkeys so far with a couple nice longbeards.

Cams are showing daylight buck activity on scrapes. Had an encounter with my would be #2 buck, but stayed strong and didn’t shoot. Biggest bodied deer I’ve ever seen on the hoof. Hoping the woods bust open...

Back