2020 Live from the Stand

In my waterfall stand this morning watching a small food plot in the distance. I have yet to sit this spot so hopefully it produces. Temps are gonna get warm here shortly.
8c4b06255b89f253785857525ac9a102.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

That's heavy antlers for your area. Is he 4.5 years old?

I think so, I can’t make him any older. We do have heavier antlers in some areas, but mostly they are river or creek bottom bucks. Actually, our lease is not far from an area that has produced some really good bucks in the past, but usually only one or two a season. Those older bucks just don’t slip up very often.

My son hunts a place near Mud Creek bottom about 20 miles below where we live (Mud Creek also runs close to our homes, that’s where the gators came from) and there are some very nice bucks on his place each year, every now and then he gets one of them:) There’s a big place that joins them that has almost no deer hunting on it, so there’s a big sanctuary right there on their border. In this part of the world that makes a huge difference. He attracts the does, they attract the bucks. ;)

Not a very interesting hunt story. I've had a rough season - my two shooter bucks disappeared in September and coyotes moved in. I saw a lot fewer deer than usual and was certain it was the coyotes - and maybe it was - but now things seem to have evened out and I'm seeing the deer numbers I'm accustomed to seeing.

My buddy shot a nice buck a week ago that ended up being much bigger than I realized. He weighed 191 lbs - I would have guessed 160 based off the trail cam pics that I had. That made me think that some other bucks I had on camera were bigger than I thought.

On Sunday morning I woke up at 4:15 and was in the stand by 5:30. I saw a deer move across the salt marsh real early, then a buck a few minutes later. I grunted at him and could just barely see that he was not a shooter. However, my grunts got the attention of another deer, and he materialized out of the woods and started heading my way. After a minute or two I realized that he was this 8 pointer that I considered a borderline shooter. He got to within 50 yards or so and I decided I would shoot if given the opportunity. Well, the opportunity presented itself.

He weighed 178 lbs and will be turned into burger. My wife and I were running very low on venison and now we are set. Time to start focusing on does.

In between moving I sneaked out Sunday morn for worship of the mountain kind. Warm temps. South wind. Not kind for this stand. White oaks a bust this year but a dozen red oaks were raining acorns. Kinda of slow but the young boy strolled past my window later to remind me game is still on!! They know house deer are a protected.

e97df5b24cf22b823af27b90e393a84d.jpg

32fef951d47913264b1854b28cc2c80a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back at home. Sat 4 different stands, but never got a good wind for any of them. One plot had deer in it every night for 3 days straight before I got there, then nothing. Had to be the wind giving me away.

Not what I wished for, but when your 6 hrs away you hunt when you can and hope the wind is in your favor, this trip it never was.

An fat armadillo is lucky I’m after bigger game. About an hour and a half left, I’m almost giddy. Hoping the excitement isn’t for nothing. The cool air feels good!

The wind switch is going to allow me to hunt our place here on the hollow this evening and tomorrow...been here over an hour and only squirrels so far...
17e1c12ff07fafb298fef427dccbfadf.jpg

f9353463876500ccbaf73d35db159582.jpg

I had a forky come in and eat red oak acorns under a tree for 1/2 hour and then he left...nothing else but squirrels...back at it in the morning.

On the backside of the Massey. Acorns are still raining out if the red oaks. Temp good and wind direction couldn’t be better. Hoping for a doe or better tonight. Sorry, no pic, reception is poor at best.

Attachments

• F0C84DA8-08EA-45AC-B5F2-C7541E415419.jpeg
    F0C84DA8-08EA-45AC-B5F2-C7541E415419.jpeg
    269.8 KB · Views: 0
Sitting in a rut stand at very back of our place. East wind is perfect for it. Sat here this AM and saw 2 dinks and 2 dogs...dinks were in range...

9f9da439dc2905f99e426228356adc26.jpg

Was seeing a little button buck about every trip to the woods but it looks like one of my lovely neighbors decided to mortally wound him I’m sure with one of the many rifle shots I have heard throughout archery season...

d97a4aa6d79eb9da7284f6793d42bd3f.jpg

Back