Buckwheat Partner

KSQ2

I plan on putting in about 2 acres of buckwheat next month. Since our clover is shot and we’ll be starting over this fall, is there an annual clover that can be planted for summer growth with buckwheat? Is the buckwheat so dominant that it would just be a waste of money? I would really like some nitrogen input from some fast growing and maturing clover, if possible.

Medium Red Clover actually grows better in summer than in the cool season. However, nothing is going to do well without adequate moisture. But I would say that if you get good rains, MR planted now would do just fine and establish relatively fast. I've never grown Mammoth Red, but they say it establishes even more quickly than Medium.

Medium Red Clover actually grows better in summer than in the cool season. However, nothing is going to do well without adequate moisture. But I would say that if you get good rains, MR planted now would do just fine and establish relatively fast. I've never grown Mammoth Red, but they say it establishes even more quickly than Medium.
Will it produce a relatively usable amount of nitrogen in just 4 months Native? I’m desperately hoping the summer is not like the last 2 when it comes to rain; but the lack of it hasn’t stopped me from putting buckwheat in the ground yet, clover too if will help.

I plan on putting in about 2 acres of buckwheat next month. Since our clover is shot and we’ll be starting over this fall, is there an annual clover that can be planted for summer growth with buckwheat? Is the buckwheat so dominant that it would just be a waste of money? I would really like some nitrogen input from some fast growing and maturing clover, if possible.
Another companion that I've used with buckwheat that worked well was Sunn Hemp. I use equal parts 20-25 lbs ac each.

Will it produce a relatively usable amount of nitrogen in just 4 months Native? I’m desperately hoping the summer is not like the last 2 when it comes to rain; but the lack of it hasn’t stopped me from putting buckwheat in the ground yet, clover too if will help.
With good fertility and moisture it will do a lot in 4 months, but with the drought you are experiencing, I wouldn’t count in it.

Another companion that I've used with buckwheat that worked well was Sunn Hemp. I use equal parts 20-25 lbs ac each.
Like Native mentioned, we’re still in this drought, I want to give it a chance, but spend as little money as possible. I can get about any red clover locally for $2-2.50/lb.

I used to plant a good bit of iron and clay cowpeas during the summer. I loved the stuff because it would grow thick and the vines would make an almost impenetrable mess that choked out weeds. By the time the deer got through with it in late summer, I was left with a nice clean seedbed to top sow a fall plot on.

I'm probably going to put in milo this summer... milo and native forbs (weeds). I know milo isn't going to add nitrogen credits but it just might go ahead and grow in the weather we're likely to have. Soybeans might be another option. They're cheap and easy to grow. You'll never see a bean due to deer pressure but they might put some roots into the ground and get something done.

Is perennial clover your ultimate goal for this plot? If so then adding nitrogen might not be high on your list of needs.

I'm probably going to put in milo this summer... milo and native forbs (weeds). I know milo isn't going to add nitrogen credits but it just might go ahead and grow in the weather we're likely to have. Soybeans might be another option. They're cheap and easy to grow. You'll never see a bean due to deer pressure but they might put some roots into the ground and get something done.

Is perennial clover your ultimate goal for this plot? If so then adding nitrogen might not be high on your list of needs.
Trying to get nitrogen in the soil for the cereal grains this fall. The ultimate goal is perineal clover, but the short term goal is a good start to the wheat and rye as well.

I’ll be different and with your drought I’d let grow what grows then terminate late Aug and plant your grain and RC. Weeds aren’t necessarily a bad thing as they mine minerals w their deep roots and provide biomass and ground cover when burned down later.
Clovers typically are really suppressed in the heat and dryness of Aug and I don’t think you will achieve much. Grains are not very dependent on N for fall planting. I say sit back and grin and bear it next 2+ months. Better time and money spent then. I feel your pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll be different and with your drought I’d let grow what grows then terminate late Aug and plant your grain and RC. Weeds aren’t necessarily a bad thing as they mine minerals w their deep roots and provide biomass and ground cover when burned down later.
Clovers typically are really suppressed in the heat and dryness of Aug and I don’t think you will achieve much. Grains are not very dependent on N for fall planting. I say sit back and grin and bear it next 2+ months. Better time and money spent then. I feel your pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I already have buckwheat ordered. Last summer was REALLY bad, but the summer before was dry too and the buckwheat still grew, I’m hoping for the same this year.

Trying to get nitrogen in the soil for the cereal grains this fall. The ultimate goal is perineal clover, but the short term goal is a good start to the wheat and rye as well.
Cereals only need (much) nitrogen to produce grain. Vegative growth does well in the worst of soils. I'm with dogghr on this with weeds and whatnot.

Cereals only need (much) nitrogen to produce grain. Vegative growth does well in the worst of soils. I'm with dogghr on this with weeds and whatnot.
I see what you guys are saying, but if I can get some nitrogen with the buckwheat and not spend a lot of money doing it, I don't see a downside. We used to grow 10 acres of wheat every other year for tax purposes on a prior property we used to own. On the off year, I'd plant wheat and rye simply for forage on part of the field. One of those years I used some left over urea on half of the 6 acres I put to wheat and rye. It was amazing to watch the deer, they absolutely ignored the unfertilized cereals in favor of the fertilized.

I see what you guys are saying, but if I can get some nitrogen with the buckwheat and not spend a lot of money doing it, I don't see a downside. We used to grow 10 acres of wheat every other year for tax purposes on a prior property we used to own. On the off year, I'd plant wheat and rye simply for forage on part of the field. One of those years I used some left over urea on half of the 6 acres I put to wheat and rye. It was amazing to watch the deer, they absolutely ignored the unfertilized cereals in favor of the fertilized.
If any farmer around here ever caught me planting wheat and rye together I'm pretty sure I would come home to my house burnt down... 😂😂

If any farmer around here ever caught me planting wheat and rye together I'm pretty sure I would come home to my house burnt down... 😂😂
Yeah our friend we used to hunt on by Beloit would cringe every time I talked about winter rye in our plots down here. Lol

Back