Can't beat corn.

Here is what I wrote to the Illinois DNR....

Question/comment:
Is it considered baiting if standing corn is mowed down, to be hunted over, whether it is in a food plot or crop field? In your 2017-18 regulation book, it appears to be that you can mow it down and as long as you don't add any more corn to it(my interpretation), it is legal. Below is quoted from your 2017-18 regulations book.

"It is illegal to feed deer at any time and/or take deer by the use or aid of bait or baiting of any kind. Despite their widespread availability, deer baits and attractants commonly sold in stores are also illegal to use at any time except for use by properly licensed owners of captive cervids while feeding captive animals. For the purpose of this section, “bait” means any material, whether liquid or solid, including food, salt, minerals and other products that can be ingested, placed or scattered in such a manner as to attract or lure white-tailed deer. “Baiting” means the placement or scattering of bait to attract deer. For the purposes of taking white-tailed deer, nothing in this section shall be construed to prevent the manipulation, including mowing or cutting, of standing crops as a normal agricultural or soil stabilization practice, food plots or normal agricultural practices, including planting, harvesting and maintenance, such as cultivating..."

Here is their response...

You are correct. You can mow it, but you can’t supplement.

From: Bulinski, Lisa On Behalf Of DNR.Wildlifereceptionist
Sent: Monday, January 08, 2018 1:05 PM
To: Rollins, Eric <Eric.Rollins@Illinois.gov>
Subject: FW: Contact DNR: Confirmation ID 289072 (Wildlife)
Would ya just looky there....

No doubt about it, corn is king and if I did not have a fairly constant hog problem I would definitely give it another try!

Corn is king. But soybeans are the boss. Both have their pros and cons, if corn works good for you, no need to change. However, if you are having issues with poor yields, corn borers, bears, hogs, coons, deer cleaning it up too fast, among other things, soybeans can help you out. I had good luck with corn but switched to beans and won't be going back anytime soon.
P.S. If the deer wipe out your beans you had better stick to clover, brassica and small grains.

Corn is king. But soybeans are the boss. Both have their pros and cons, if corn works good for you, no need to change. However, if you are having issues with poor yields, corn borers, bears, hogs, coons, deer cleaning it up too fast, among other things, soybeans can help you out. I had good luck with corn but switched to beans and won't be going back anytime soon.
P.S. If the deer wipe out your beans you had better stick to clover, brassica and small grains.

And if your deer don't like brassicas, (mine don't), then you're down to small grains and clover, which is about where I find myself. :(

I do have a couple plots where beans or peas can make it, so I consider myself lucky for that !

Back