Chestnut drop

Familytradition

I have a chestnut tree that we think is a japenese chestnut or a cross. It has not dropped its nuts and the burrs are not opening yet. I'm in the very southern part of Indiana. When can I expect the nuts to drop? Can I pick the burrs before they drop? I could only reach a few of the burrs, most are 20 feet or higher.

They should break open on the tree. They will turn from green to brown. I wouldn't pick them unless they are brown and open than you could knock them down and the chestnuts would be ready.

They are still completely green. It just seems like they are opening for most people. I did see a Chinese in a yard that was opening several miles away. Just wondering what was up. This is my first year with chestnuts.

Sounds like you have a later dropping chestnut, personally i would think that's a better chestnut to hunt around.

Unfortunately for hunting purposes, this tree is in a terrible location. It literally grows on top of my house. It is in a great location to monitor and get to the nuts before the critters. My roof and gutter can collect them for me. Hopefully the seeds will keep the late drop characteristic once planted.

Familytradition,

The nuts will be true to the tree. Collect a bunch of those chestnuts when they drop. Make sure you don't mix them up with any other chestnuts. Try to determine the date when most of the burs on the tree are dropping. Get a photos of the tree and post it on here.

True to the Tree! Grow those chestnuts to produce late dropping trees. I call them hunting trees - you would naturally plant them in a perfect deer hunting location. I collected today under a new tree that is holding 85 to 90% green burs. Now this tree has the best prospect of any tree I have ever had an opportunity at. I intend to collect 60 quality late dropping chestnuts off this tree (they will be cherry picked out of 100s off the tree).

Your location for the tree is perfect - you will beat the critters to the late dropping chestnuts. Personally, I have never seen a Japanese Chestnut. Would love to see some photos.

Thanks for sharing.

I'm told that the leaves are too waxy to be American and that the fishhooks are not big enough. People thought an American/japenese hybrid or Japanese chestnut. It is defiantly in a tree form and not bushy like all of the Chinese Chestnuts that I have ever seen. The previous owner was a rare tree collector.

That chestnut was pollinated from another nearby tree. They won't be exactly "true to the tree" but will have characteristics of both. At least that's the way I understand it. However, I'd suspect that there would be a good chance that the late dropping characteristic may carry over. The only way to know is to grow some trees from it and see.

Does anyone have experience with sweet chestnut? Some of the pictures that I came across tonight closely resemble my tree. I never agreed with the Japanese theory. Japanese and Chinese seem to have longer slimmer leaves. I always leaned toward American with the information that I had. Which might have just been wishful thinking. I think sweet might be the answer to my riddle.

That chestnut was pollinated from another nearby tree. They won't be exactly "true to the tree" but will have characteristics of both. At least that's the way I understand it. However, I'd suspect that there would be a good chance that the late dropping characteristic may carry over. The only way to know is to grow some trees from it and see.

What I thought unless someone can prove me wrong.

Back