Looking for Dunstan Chestnut with specific characteristic

mattpatt

Do you have a Dunstan Chestnut tree where the burrs open up ON the tree allowing the nuts to fall to the ground? If so, I would like to see if I could purchase some from you so that I can grow a few.

My next option would be nuts from a tree where the burrs partially open but fall free from the tree naturally.

If you have pics that could share that would be even better.

Thanks,
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the selling points of Dunstan chestnuts was that the burs are supposed to open and the nuts fall out. Of course, that is the original cross and patent. Most of us are dealing with ungrafted trees which, at best, are progeny of Dunstan. Since chestnuts can't pollenate themselves, 50% of the genetics come from some other tree in the chestnut family. So, presuming the advertising of the original Dunstan was correct and they the burs open and the nuts fall, our Sons-of-Dunstan all came from trees that drop nuts. So, if that characteristic is not being passed on, it may have more to do with what is pollinating our trees.

You are correct. All of mine that I have that are producing right now came from the clearance isle at Walmart and none of those open and only some partially open. Makes it a little hard on the wildlife. Would be nice if you could find one that consistently opened fully. I know I’m only potentially dealing with half the issue here but as it is I’m not going to get anywhere as all of my trees don’t give the desired results.

I agree, it would be nice if they opened and nuts fell out, but I don't think it has a big impact on wildlife in general. Eventually they fall and deer seem to be able to get them out. It may even be an advantage in some areas as it may save them for later into the winter when deer need them more.

If I remember correctly, I believe you have some Dunstans in your yard. Do the burs from these trees open allowing the nuts to fall free? I agree with everything said so far. I wonder if lack of moisture plays a role in the bur fully opening though. From what I have read, chestnuts take up a lot of moisture right before they drop increasing the size of the nut. If the chestnuts are water stressed, I wonder if this would impact the chestnuts' ability to stretch the bur and fall free. Just a thought.

If I remember correctly, I believe you have some Dunstans in your yard. Do the burs from these trees open allowing the nuts to fall free? I agree with everything said so far. I wonder if lack of moisture plays a role in the bur fully opening though. From what I have read, chestnuts take up a lot of moisture right before they drop increasing the size of the nut. If the chestnuts are water stressed, I wonder if this would impact the chestnuts' ability to stretch the bur and fall free. Just a thought.
That is a good point. There may be more than genetics involved here. The climate can play a role in how trees respond..

I do and they get watered once a week. As a matter of fact I’m watering one as I type this. :). But to answer your question no most of them don’t open. I’d say 80% turn brown, fall and never open. 15% turn brown, open slightly and fall from the tree and probably 5% of them turn brown, never open and get hung up in the tree. I also have some late dropping Chinese varieties plus a few named Chinese varieties as well. 12 trees total at the house.

I do and they get watered once a week. As a matter of fact I’m watering one as I type this. :). But to answer your question no most of them don’t open. I’d say 80% turn brown, fall and never open. 15% turn brown, open slightly and fall from the tree and probably 5% of them turn brown, never open and get hung up in the tree. I also have some late dropping Chinese varieties plus a few named Chinese varieties as well. 12 trees total at the house.

Do you have this burr issue with your Chinese trees?

Do you have this burr issue with your Chinese trees?

The late droppers are the only ones in production right now and they all do it to some degree. A Dunstan is really nothing more than a glorified Chinese variety.

The late droppers are the only ones in production right now and they all do it to some degree. A Dunstan is really nothing more than a glorified Chinese variety.

That was heavily marketed to the hunting/food plot community.

Yea, glad I mainly went the seedling Chinese route instead of Dunstans. Good luck finding what you are looking for.

I would not have chosen dunstan chestnuts if I was buying trees because of the cost. Since I was growing my own from nuts, I didn't have to pay a premium they were commanding because of the hype. They have worked out about the same as other Chinese chestnuts. The only real thing I've noticed is that some of the trees take more of the upright American form, growing taller vs wider.

In hindsight, the 2 trees that my program has benefited from the most, dollar for dollar, are Allegheny Chinquapins and Persimmons. ACs grow native on my place so the nuts were free to propagate. While the do get blight, they respond by dying back and producing new shoots. 2 years later, they are producing nuts again. The respond to fire the same way.

Persimmons also grow natively on my place. By cutting down and bark grafting trees in the 1"- 4" class, I can get male trees to produce fruit. By swapping scions with others with wild trees as well as buying some commercial varieties, I have drop times across a long period. Since it is not uncommon to get the first persimmon the 3rd year after grafting due to the large established root system, they have provided more deer food across a longer period than any other tree at a very low cost.

While the ACs are prolific as well, they are pretty much gone when our archery season starts in October, but they are still feeding deer and other wildlife. Turkey love them.

The third tree that has worked out well for me has been Chinese Jujube, Tigertooth specifically. I bought these as bare root trees. It took them a long time to produce, but once they started producing, the are prolific and produce every year. Deer and turkey love them.

None of these tree require maintenance, so once I'm gone they will still be producing. Pears have done OK with no maintenance. Apples, as expected, struggle without maintenance.

Only reason I have Dunstans is because of Walmart and their markdown policy. I just can’t resist a $15 three year old tree. I’ve gotten them for as little as $5 before but here lately it’s been $15. Depends on how bad they look and how long they’ve had them. I figure the deer aren’t going to care but it’s not going to matter if they can’t eat the darn things because the burrs don’t open.

I started out with only Dunstan then realized there were many other more desirable Chinese varieties out there that are much better especially if you ever think about eating them yourself. So that’s what I’ve been doing and why so have so many at the house. It kinda became an addiction.

Matt

Only reason I have Dunstans is because of Walmart and their markdown policy. I just can’t resist a $15 three year old tree. I’ve gotten them for as little as $5 before but here lately it’s been $15. Depends on how bad they look and how long they’ve had them. I figure the deer aren’t going to care but it’s not going to matter if they can’t eat the darn things because the burrs don’t open.

I started out with only Dunstan then realized there were many other more desirable Chinese varieties out there that are much better especially if you ever think about eating them yourself. So that’s what I’ve been doing and why so have so many at the house. It kinda became an addiction.

Matt

Yep, eating Chestnuts are a completely different game. I'm not worried about the burr not opening. As long as they fall from the tree at some point, and they do, deer will get them open. One thing I noticed when I was picking all the AC nuts this year. The first week, my fingers were sore from being stuck by burr needles. By the last week, the needles were so soft, I never got stuck.

While I have tried them, I don't generally eat chestnuts or ACs because of the high carb and fat content. The ACs are delicious though.

Matt, this is a seeding Chinese tree that I’m going to try to watch this year. It looks like it may be later dropping than any of my other trees. My other trees drop from 9-15 to 10-15 religiously.

The pic below was on October 5, and only two burrs had let nuts fall. I actually found most of the nuts, because our deer are too preoccupied with white oak acorns right now to even pass by this spot. I could see two other burrs just beginning to open, and I could see 3 nuts peeking out. All of the others were still closed tight. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling this tree could still be dropping in November.

I think this is the first year it has made nuts, but it could have last year too without me noticing it. I realize our locations are vastly different, but how does this tree appear to compare with the late droppers that you grow?

IMG_3476.jpeg

Matt, this is a seeding Chinese tree that I’m going to try to watch this year. It looks like it may be later dropping than any of my other trees. My other trees drop from 9-15 to 10-15 religiously.

The pic below was on October 5, and only two burrs had let nuts fall. I actually found most of the nuts, because our deer are too preoccupied with white oak acorns right now to even pass by this spot. I could see two other burrs just beginning to open, and I could see 3 nuts peeking out. All of the others were still closed tight. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling this tree could still be dropping in November.

I think this is the first year it has made nuts, but it could have last year too without me noticing it. I realize our locations are vastly different, but how does this tree appear to compare with the late droppers that you grow?

View attachment 26261

You might have something. I’d say if you have at least 50% of your burrs left unopened in 10 days save some nuts from it. That’ll put it at around Oct-18.

My latest dropping tree is still holding tight. The burrs are swelling though so it won’t be long. Probably another 7-10 days and they’ll start. My other late dropper has already started this year. The weather plays a big role in everything.

Matt

View attachment 26261

Native,

I took this pic today of one of my late droppers that is loaded down this year. The limbs are so spindly that I’m afraid that they might break if I were to get some wind from a storm or something. Going to do some pruning on this winter.

75aba0283b4db9ac1edf535ce01ddeb3.jpg

Matt

Native,

I took this pic today of one of my late droppers that is loaded down this year. The limbs are so spindly that I’m afraid that they might break if I were to get some wind from a storm or something. Going to do some pruning on this winter.

75aba0283b4db9ac1edf535ce01ddeb3.jpg

Matt

Yes, that tree has a good crop this year. It does seem to be spreading more than growing upright. When you do the pruning, I would probably just take out some of the downward pointing branches that come off of the lower scaffolding limbs. That's probably all it will need.

Matt, since we are talking chestnuts, I have one tree that makes much larger nuts than the others. Drop time is about October 1. As far as I know, this is just a run of the mill seedling Chinese. How do these nuts shown below compare in size to most chestnuts that you see?

IMG_3457.jpeg

Yes, that tree has a good crop this year. It does seem to be spreading more than growing upright. When you do the pruning, I would probably just take out some of the downward pointing branches that come off of the lower scaffolding limbs. That's probably all it will need.

Yes there’s one in particular that I have my eye on. It’s going to pain me to do it as it seems to be a particularly productive limb\branch but it’s growing more lateral than up and when it has a load on it bends way down because the limbs aren’t very big in caliper. If it was anything else besides a late dropper I would have culled this tree long ago.

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back