Chestnut Production?

I’ve been watering once every five days, and about a quart of water on the entire tray. I guess I’ll let them dry out completely. There is NOTHING easy about this. It’s incredibly frustrating.
It does take a while to get on to it. It can be frustrating but it can be fun. I had great success the first year I tried it and had a big failure the second year. It has a fairly steep learning curve, but once you get it down, it is worth it.

I’ve been watering once every five days, and about a quart of water on the entire tray. I guess I’ll let them dry out completely. There is NOTHING easy about this. It’s incredibly frustrating.

Makes you wonder how these things even make it in that wild if they are that picky, huh? lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That’s EXACTLY what I was thinking!
They don't. Think about how many nuts a mature tree produces every year. Very, Very, few of those nuts every turn into trees. When I was growing chestnuts, most years, about 75% of the nuts I started with made it to a 3 gal RB2 container. Some would not germinate. Some would get some kind of root disease when young. Some just would not be strong growers and get culled.

Odds for those nuts are drastically greater than nature.

They don't. Think about how many nuts a mature tree produces every year. Very, Very, few of those nuts every turn into trees. When I was growing chestnuts, most years, about 75% of the nuts I started with made it to a 3 gal RB2 container. Some would not germinate. Some would get some kind of root disease when young. Some just would not be strong growers and get culled.

Odds for those nuts are drastically greater than nature.

We are definitely bucking the trend vs nature for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back