Geo in Co

Cool as usual Geo. If you keep making my mouth water with those pics, I'm going to have to unfriend you. Just not fair.

Always know it will take a minute to load Geo's pictures. Also always know it will be worth it. Have some family in ft collins and learned a bit about water rights and those diversion channels.

Thanks lak, that particular spillway is not a diversion but a continuation of Williams Creek. I learned recently that the reservoir 100-200 yards below me in the water shed that is my drinking supply is actually water diverted out of 4 mile creek up in the mountains. In times of plenty there is water for everyone however in the summer the res gets a bit low. As it turns out we are 3 or 4 on the list of who gets the water.

Always enjoy your pics Geo! Think of you each time I pull my knife from it's sheath.

Thanks AC, I was back at it recently, still getting orders. This time I get to keep one for myself.

DSC07683 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC07693 (1200 x 900).jpg

"Cool as usual Geo. If you keep making my mouth water with those pics, I'm going to have to unfriend you. Just not fair."

Thanks Doug but I don't think that such actions are necessary, if so I would have had to delete all of you guys a long time ago.

G

DSC07694 (1200 x 900).jpg

last month on my way to see my ex Loved One in Michigan I did a drive by Iowa, I saw enough from the road and hit the gas. I stopped in down in Keo for a short visit with a couple of friends.

DSC07695 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC07698 (1200 x 900).jpg

Back in CO, it's true, rye will grow just about anywhere.

DSC07728 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC07729 (1200 x 900).jpg

G

Every morning starts with a dog hike through the woods. Then it's time for an hour+ spin.

DSC07741 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC07750 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC07753 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC07754 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC07759 (1200 x 900).jpg

Ok I would like some input.

I will be doing the same over the counter archery elk hunt this year.

I was told that I would probably not draw a deer tag for a year or two, well I just received my buck tag for rifle Oct 21-29. I'm itching to buy another rifle and I'm looking at either a 5.65lb or a 7.25lb Savage stainless steel/synthetic stock in .308. Any suggestions?

I will probably also get an over the counter bear tag with caps that will be good through elk and deer seasons.

G

My Remington model 7 is 6.5 pounds in 308. You know when it goes off but recoil isn't horrible. I would go with the lighter weight one if running up the mountains. Little harder to hold still if winded. Mine is about 1 1/4 moa rifle. 20" pencil barrel. I like a 165 grain bullet for deer. You can't go wrong with the 308. I have shot one for over 20 years and never felt like I needed more gun.

Look at the Tikka T3 Lite. Nice rifles. Savage is good too, has one great trigger right out of the box.

I agree with checking out the Tikka T3. My out of the box 308 shoots sub MOA with Hornady Superformance ammo.

You may be having fun out there but look at what you are missing by not being on vacation at Cumberland. There is another big German Carp waiting for you at the base of 76 Falls.

18341900_1297334337031396_8875011432154901395_n.jpg
Glad to see that MTB. I love riding single track, technical stuff.

Last edited:
Marines used to joke that 5.56 is made by Mattel! I tracked a deer a quarter mile that had been shot in the heart with a 5.56, which left no exit wound. Your knife is going great, and is used exclusively for field dressing deer.

My Remington model 7 is 6.5 pounds in 308. You know when it goes off but recoil isn't horrible. I would go with the lighter weight one if running up the mountains. Little harder to hold still if winded. Mine is about 1 1/4 moa rifle. 20" pencil barrel. I like a 165 grain bullet for deer. You can't go wrong with the 308. I have shot one for over 20 years and never felt like I needed more gun.

Look at the Tikka T3 Lite. Nice rifles. Savage is good too, has one great trigger right out of the box.

I agree with checking out the Tikka T3. My out of the box 308 shoots sub MOA with Hornady Superformance ammo.

You may be having fun out there but look at what you are missing by not being on vacation at Cumberland. There is another big German Carp waiting for you at the base of 76 Falls.

Thanks guys, for some reason I wasn't seeing Tikka offered in .308 but I do now. However this doesn't make my choice any easier. I do think that I'm set on a .308.

Native, I've got German Browns on the brain now.

View attachment 7721
Glad to see that MTB. I love riding single track, technical stuff.

I forgot how much fun actual mountain biking is. Except for all of the rock piles the trails behind my house aren't too technical. That was nice of them to put up a board walk for people to endo off.

Forget the bars, all of the fit single Ladies seem to be out on my trail on Sunday mornings. My rear tire went flat halfway so I did the pump and ride every 3 minutes to get back. Now days people ride around on tubeless sealed tires. I'm also itching for a new ride $2,700 ouch. I watched a guy go up a rock pile on one of those new fancy bikes, big tires, mono shock rear, that I have yet to make, like it was nothing.

I think if I looked I can find some more elevation to ride around here.

Marines used to joke that 5.56 is made by Mattel! I tracked a deer a quarter mile that had been shot in the heart with a 5.56, which left no exit wound. Your knife is going great, and is used exclusively for field dressing deer.

Thanks Brad, wasn't the 5.56 designed to shoot arms off? With an elk, deer, and bear license I'm hoping to use one of my knives this year.

G

Last edited:
I think if I looked I can find some more elevation to ride around here.

Your elevation scares me. Those narrow windy raised boardwalks are fun. They suck first thing in the mornings when wet though. The trails closer to my house typically put some type of wire on top of the boards for added grip. Trail scenery is a major added bonus. That's what got me back into it. I would always follow the fit chics in spandex bike shorts :)
Rocks suck. I'm not a fan of them much. I think it's mental, I tend to crash in them and for whatever reason, I can never get unclipped from the pedals in time so it really sucks.

Thanks guys, for some reason I wasn't seeing Tikka offered in .308 but I do now. However this doesn't make my choice any easier. I do think that I'm set on a .308.

Native, I've got German Browns on the brain now.

I forgot how much fun actual mountain biking is. Except for all of the rock piles the trails behind my house aren't too technical. That was nice of them to put up a board walk for people to endo off.

Forget the bars, all of the fit single Ladies seem to be out on my trail on Sunday mornings. My rear tire went flat halfway so I did the pump and ride every 3 minutes to get back. Now days people ride around on tubeless sealed tires. I'm also itching for a new ride $2,700 ouch. I watched a guy go up a rock pile on one of those new fancy bikes, big tires, mono shock rear, that I have yet to make, like it was nothing.

I think if I looked I can find some more elevation to ride around he

Thanks Brad, wasn't the 5.56 designed to shoot arms off? With an elk, deer, and bear license I'm hoping to use one of my knives this year.

G
The 5.56 was designed to create casualties. I have tracked two deer that were shot with a 5.56 and recovered one. The 5.56 entry hole was so small that we had to field dress the deer to find it, and there was no exit. The hunter made a perfect shot, and the round made a tiny hole through the center of the heart, so small that the buck ran about a quarter mile, and did not leave a blood trail that the hunter could follow.

The 5.56 was designed to create casualties. I have tracked two deer that were shot with a 5.56 and recovered one. The 5.56 entry hole was so small that we had to field dress the deer to find it, and there was no exit. The hunter made a perfect shot, and the round made a tiny hole through the center of the heart, so small that the buck ran about a quarter mile, and did not leave a blood trail that the hunter could follow.

Brush,
I think you misread his post, G is looking at a 5.65 lb 308 not a 5.56 m! On the poodle shooter note, I have shot enough deer with a 223 to know you have to hit them right with the right bullet to make it work. Used to be all I used for MO doe season and it worked like lightning. That said I built the kid a 300 blk to get twice the bullet weight with the same recoil.

Geo,
I would also look at the Ruger Americans. For the money I have heard they are very good. I love my Ruger M77's but wouldn't be my pick to drag up a mountain. I only deal with the earlier model Remingtons (my model 7 is a '92 model, the 700 is late 70's). Later models seem to be a little sloppy. Savages are ridiculously accurate based on the ones I have played with. If you told me I could only keep one rifle cartridge I'm picking the 308 every time. You better hurry up so you will have plenty of time to get acquainted before all those tags go live!

Great shot of you and the Mnt bike. I haven't had one for a couple years now, probably saved myself a broken bone. But I was last week looking at the fat tired ones in a shop. Pretty cool, and wow the sticker shock got me a little. They did look fun and from what I read on them, they are a very comfortable bike for trail riding. Biking in general, and smooth water kayaking is big business around me anymore. Good to see. Glad you did a driveby of the old homeplace and finished mental closure of that, if it was needed. Always a cool thread I look forward to. Thanks.

My wife got a 4.8 lb 308 with an 18 inch barrel. That thing is both of our new favorite rifle. It's so nice and handy to carry. Less getting snagged on branches, easy in and out of vehicle, etc.

Glad to see your making knives again, are you taking orders? I just used one in Bulgaria last month, and need a batch to take to Mozambique for gifts next year.

Is the new owner at your old place killing off the cedars?

Your elevation scares me. Those narrow windy raised boardwalks are fun. They suck first thing in the mornings when wet though. The trails closer to my house typically put some type of wire on top of the boards for added grip. Trail scenery is a major added bonus. That's what got me back into it. I would always follow the fit chics in spandex bike shorts :)
Rocks suck. I'm not a fan of them much. I think it's mental, I tend to crash in them and for whatever reason, I can never get unclipped from the pedals in time so it really sucks.

At first I thought that you are afraid of heights then it occurred to me that you are talking elevation and cardio. Elevation becomes a non issue particularly after 6 months of do or die down at the Dogo. We had boardwalks over wet lands back in Michigan that were about a foot wide and like riding on ice in the mornings. I like to bomb the downhill's and those rocks are hard on rims, spokes, and tires/tubes. The one rock pile that I have yet to make is probably just a mental thing and me baling out of my clips early.

Brush,
I think you misread his post, G is looking at a 5.65 lb 308 not a 5.56 m! On the poodle shooter note, I have shot enough deer with a 223 to know you have to hit them right with the right bullet to make it work. Used to be all I used for MO doe season and it worked like lightning. That said I built the kid a 300 blk to get twice the bullet weight with the same recoil.

Geo,
I would also look at the Ruger Americans. For the money I have heard they are very good. I love my Ruger M77's but wouldn't be my pick to drag up a mountain. I only deal with the earlier model Remingtons (my model 7 is a '92 model, the 700 is late 70's). Later models seem to be a little sloppy. Savages are ridiculously accurate based on the ones I have played with. If you told me I could only keep one rifle cartridge I'm picking the 308 every time. You better hurry up so you will have plenty of time to get acquainted before all those tags go live!

My friend in Iowa mentioned the Americans, he has a .308. No kidding about the time line, time flies when your on vacation.

Great shot of you and the Mnt bike. I haven't had one for a couple years now, probably saved myself a broken bone. But I was last week looking at the fat tired ones in a shop. Pretty cool, and wow the sticker shock got me a little. They did look fun and from what I read on them, they are a very comfortable bike for trail riding. Biking in general, and smooth water kayaking is big business around me anymore. Good to see. Glad you did a driveby of the old homeplace and finished mental closure of that, if it was needed. Always a cool thread I look forward to. Thanks.

Ya when I said big tires I was referring to the 29" over the 26" tires that I have not those big goofy balloon tires. I have seen one bike with the balloons trail riding during winter. I looked at the Specialized web site and the bike for $2700 would be one of the less expensive models. When I did my drive by all I saw was all of the work that I was missing out on just to tame the yard after being away.

My wife got a 4.8 lb 308 with an 18 inch barrel. That thing is both of our new favorite rifle. It's so nice and handy to carry. Less getting snagged on branches, easy in and out of vehicle, etc.

Glad to see your making knives again, are you taking orders? I just used one in Bulgaria last month, and need a batch to take to Mozambique for gifts next year.

Is the new owner at your old place killing off the cedars?

I think that I'm going to go back to town and hold that little 5.65lb Savage some more.

The new owner had an escape fire that burned up the cedars that I transplanted to block the up front food plot from the view of the road.

Travis, I have roughed out blanks and supplies to make another batch of Knives for Mozambique.

Thanks G

I think that I'm ready to pull the trigger on the Tikka T3x Lite Stainless Steel .308 $748, any objections?

G

I pulled the trigger on the Savage 16fcss weather warrior .308 $627.06 shipped, any objections?

Lite weight Talley rings?, leupold vx-2 3-9 40mm custom dial system, 11oz ?

G

They say you cant go home again, Geo. Or wait, what did John Denver say?
Did they kill your cedars?

Back