Gly for hack and squirt

chbarnha

With our season winding down here in Va I’m beginning to assess what I need to do on my farm in the off season. I have a 34 acre cutover which used to hold deer but it is starting to open up. This cutover is mostly sweet gum and pine with some oak saplings mixed in. Most trees are in the 12-15 ft range and I’m wanting to go through and hack and squirt the sweet gum and the occasional maples. As I have never done this, will gly work in this application? I have tried looking through the forum and haven’t been able to find if it would be successful or not.

Thanks for any help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve never done it, but I’ve read that full strength gly will kill sweet gum in a hack and squirt scenario. I think I’ve seen Dr. Woods do this on YouTube also. However, someone who KNOWS will come along directly to confirm or deny. 😁

I've had success mixing gly and diesel fuel. However, you may want to consider other options. Depending on your objectives, hinge cutting works well with trees that size. You can also simply cut them down with a chainsaw to form "mineral stumps" visa vie MSU deer lab. Just depends on your objectives.

I‘ve had excellent results using undiluted gly with hack n squirt on all types of hardwood trees. I have a small 1/2 gallon hand sprayer n hatchet. My favorite method of TSI.

I’ve had good luck with gunslinger p&d mixed 6oz per gallon water on girdled sweet gum and Chinese tallow trees up to 1 foot diameter. Usually do it in March here in Louisiana when the leaves start budding.

For my AO abatement I’ve had decent luck w straight Gly but my fav is Tordon. And since it’s purplish you know for sure what you sprayed.

I think a lot of it depends on how well you know your trees. For some invasive trees, like tree of heaven, gly and diesel are plenty effective, even on large diameter trees. For other trees, you need to go to garlon or arsenal. If one is trying to kill a variety of trees, you may need the above cocktail or something similar. If you are going after a specific tree, you can often save money.

I think a lot of it depends on how well you know your trees. For some invasive trees, like tree of heaven, gly and diesel are plenty effective, even on large diameter trees. For other trees, you need to go to garlon or arsenal. If one is trying to kill a variety of trees, you may need the above cocktail or something similar. If you are going after a specific tree, you can often save money.

You need triclopyr to kill locust. In my current TSI I'm not worried about locust. With 20% imazapyr I'm using far less chemical.

G

Dumb question time- Would using a basal bark spray (tordon or a dieselmix) also for H&S? I will have some Tree Of Heaven, Winged Allenthus, Gums and BH all to tackle in one area. Other than a few random Walnuts and Oaks, I wanted to nuke the area but would love to carry one container and believe the hack part is needed for TOH, correct?

I recently ordered all the ingredients for the Craig Harper cocktail. Looking forward to putting it to some good use in the very near future.

I have treated stumps in the past with 100% Gly, worked well on easy to kill species.

All I’m going to be killing initially is the gums and the occasional maple. I will order some triclopyr and get started

Dumb question time- Would using a basal bark spray (tordon or a dieselmix) also for H&S? I will have some Tree Of Heaven, Winged Allenthus, Gums and BH all to tackle in one area. Other than a few random Walnuts and Oaks, I wanted to nuke the area but would love to carry one container and believe the hack part is needed for TOH, correct?

Yes, on H/S triclopyr for Tree O hell.

I toasted 8 acres of T O H seedlings this past summer with 5% solution of glyphosate foliar sprayed.

G

I meter out the solutions of chemicals that I use to kill trees on a per acre basis, so I have a good handle on what I'm saying.

I used 1.7 gallons of imazapyr to do TSI on 68 acres. A 20% solution means that I poured out 8.5 gallons of solution, 1.7 gallons of imazapyr, and 6.8 gallons of water.

On the same 68 acres I would have used 5.6 gallon of triclopyr. A 33% ester solution means I would have poured out 17 gallons of solution, 5.6 gallons of triclopyr, and 11.4 gallons of diesel.

Why would I pour out 5.6 gallons of chemical into my woods if I only had to use 1.7 gallons? Imazapyr is twice the cost of triclopyr but I used less than half as much.

Why would I pour 11.4 gallons of diesel out into my woods instead of 6.8 gallons of water?

I meter out the solutions of chemicals that I use to kill trees on a per acre basis, so I have a good handle on what I'm saying.

I used 1.7 gallons of imazapyr to do TSI on 68 acres. A 20% solution means that I poured out 8.5 gallons of solution, 1.7 gallons of imazapyr, and 6.8 gallons of water.

On the same 68 acres I would have used 5.6 gallon of triclopyr. A 33% ester solution means I would have poured out 17 gallons of solution, 5.6 gallons of triclopyr, and 11.4 gallons of diesel.

Why would I pour out 5.6 gallons of chemical into my woods if I only had to use 1.7 gallons? Imazapyr is twice the cost of triclopyr but I used less than half as much.

Why would I pour 11.4 gallons of diesel out into my woods instead of 6.8 gallons of water?
That is probably a bit of an over generalization. Not all chemicals have the same impact (either desired or undesired). Most of these herbicides start out in solution to begin with. For example, most gly we talk about is 41% gly. So when someone says they are using straight gly, it is actually 41%. There are also difference in applications. A basal spray application is different than a hack and squirt application as far applying chemical to unintended locations. Difference chemicals have different residual effects.

I'm not suggesting you are doing anything incorrectly or inappropriately. Your general point about being judicious with chemical use and thinking it through is well taken. I'm just saying it is not always simple,

That is probably a bit of an over generalization. Not all chemicals have the same impact (either desired or undesired). Most of these herbicides start out in solution to begin with. For example, most gly we talk about is 41% gly. So when someone says they are using straight gly, it is actually 41%. There are also difference in applications. A basal spray application is different than a hack and squirt application as far applying chemical to unintended locations. Difference chemicals have different residual effects.

I'm not suggesting you are doing anything incorrectly or inappropriately. Your general point about being judicious with chemical use and thinking it through is well taken. I'm just saying it is not always simple,

Point taken but I am not generalizing at all, I am going strictly by the label. My actual amounts used in the woods matches the label.

G

Point taken but I am not generalizing at all, I am going strictly by the label. My actual amounts used in the woods matches the label.

G
Yes, I guess I wasn't clear. I was suggesting that we should not generalize from you specific example. I could have been more clear.

Back