Geo in Co

I pulled the trigger on the Savage 16fcss weather warrior .308 $627.06 shipped, any objections?

Lite weight Talley rings?, leupold vx-2 3-9 40mm custom dial system, 11oz ?

G

I have had a VX-2 3-9 40 mm on my 308 for a long time. Can't go wrong with leupold. I have a 3.5-10 VX3 on my '06 with the CDS dial, but haven't messed with it too much. I just turned in my app to a private range that goes out to 300 yards so hopefully I'll have better data soon.

Is that the light savage or the heavier one? Sounds like you did alright on price.

I have had a VX-2 3-9 40 mm on my 308 for a long time. Can't go wrong with leupold. I have a 3.5-10 VX3 on my '06 with the CDS dial, but haven't messed with it too much. I just turned in my app to a private range that goes out to 300 yards so hopefully I'll have better data soon.

Is that the light savage or the heavier one? Sounds like you did alright on price.

Good, thanks E. I ordered the 16 weather warrior with the accutrigger and accustock, it weighs 6.9lbs. I think that the 1.25lbs that this gun has over the lite will be more of a benefit to my shooting than a hindrance to my carrying. I have the same gun in .204 Ruger and it has put 3 under a dime in the past.

Gator? now I'm looking at pulling the trigger on a Trek Fuel 7

G

They say you cant go home again, Geo. Or wait, what did John Denver say?
Did they kill your cedars?

Fish, Maybe not Iowa but I'm still welcome to go all the way back home to Michigan.

I'm not too sure about John Denver?

Looks like, the owner had an escape brush pile fire.

G

Nice job on the bike. I like the Talley lightweight mounts. I used to use scopes wth upper end powder in the 7-9 range but now I'm using 14-15 power scopes on just about everything. I'm not sure how much bigger the higher magnification scope is in the VX 2s but it's worth a look...that extra magnification sure seems to help as I get older.

10x will work fine out to 300...if most shots are going to be 250-400 then look at 14x on the top end.....50 mm objective preferred in low light, like looking down into a ravine....there will be some weight difference between 10x and 14x models..may want to consider elevation and windage reticles. Two piece Warne bases and rings provide solid mount....have the smith use the two piece Brownell ring installation guide so tube is square in rings. Should like the savage....not the prettiest but solid where it counts! Break in the barrel correctly....should be no issues. Practice shooting up hill and across valleys...learning to read wind....much different than shooting in flat country. Pick a good bullet!

We hiked in to the first meadow on Elk Creek Saturday morning

Elk Creek (1200 x 640).jpg

and I pitched a tent at the upper end of the meadow.

DSC07808 (1200 x 900).jpg

Dan started off catching one after another right out the back door of camp.

DSC07810 (1200 x 900).jpg

It took me a couple of hours to catch my first ever trout on fly rod.

DSC07814 (1200 x 900).jpg

It took me a couple more minutes to catch my second. I ate this one or it wouldn't be flopped on the rocks.

DSC07817 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC07819 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC07820 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC07824 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC07826 (1200 x 900).jpg

After dinner I caught my first on a dry.

DSC07827 (1200 x 900).jpg

G

The next morning the herd moved through, #14 was particularly persistent coming back several times. I thought that they may have been begging for granola bars

DSC07833 (1200 x 900).jpg

but we caught 14 trying to eat charcoal while our morning fire was still burning. As soon as we put some water on it they moved in and fought over the still warm coals. At one point during the breakfast hour while we weren't paying attention, the herd bull started breeding right in the middle of camp.

DSC07834 (1200 x 900).jpg

Dan wanted to fish the pocket water below the meadow after breakfast. I got the bright idea to back track and swim the 600 yards back down to our new day camp. After about 300 yards and several white water stretches I pulled myself out of the water beaten and hypothermic, oh what fun.

DSC07837 (1200 x 900).jpg

Nice job on the bike. I like the Talley lightweight mounts. I used to use scopes wth upper end powder in the 7-9 range but now I'm using 14-15 power scopes on just about everything. I'm not sure how much bigger the higher magnification scope is in the VX 2s but it's worth a look...that extra magnification sure seems to help as I get older.

10x will work fine out to 300...if most shots are going to be 250-400 then look at 14x on the top end.....50 mm objective preferred in low light, like looking down into a ravine....there will be some weight difference between 10x and 14x models..may want to consider elevation and windage reticles. Two piece Warne bases and rings provide solid mount....have the smith use the two piece Brownell ring installation guide so tube is square in rings. Should like the savage....not the prettiest but solid where it counts! Break in the barrel correctly....should be no issues. Practice shooting up hill and across valleys...learning to read wind....much different than shooting in flat country. Pick a good bullet!

Does that new gun mount on the bike?

Hey Guys, I went with 3-9 40mm wind plex for the main reason that during my time in the mountains last fall my shots on monster mule deer bucks would have been about 50 yards. I would like to be a good shot 200=250 yards. I bought a couple of boxes each of Hornady and Barnes. I just picked up the gun in town this am and I may be in Love. I plan on a shoot and clean 15 or so shot break in. I believe that is what I did with my .204 but I will look into it some more. Gun rack on the handle bars.

D, what are your scientific thoughts on the charcoal lovers?

DSC07839 (1200 x 900).jpg

G

Last edited:
Congratulations on catching your first fish on a fly Geo. That Elk Creek looks like a beautiful place camp and fish. How long of a hike is it into first Meadow? And is second meadow yet another hike or is it right close to first?

Mmmmm jealous of the trout stream. Pretty awesome. Any timber rattlers on your journeys ?

Good looking gun. Send steaks!!!

fish steaks?

Congratulations on catching your first fish on a fly Geo. That Elk Creek looks like a beautiful place camp and fish. How long of a hike is it into first Meadow? And is second meadow yet another hike or is it right close to first?

Thanks Dave, the first meadow is 2 miles in which made for an easy hike. The second meadows are another 3 miles up.

Mmmmm jealous of the trout stream. Pretty awesome. Any timber rattlers on your journeys ?

I'm too high to see snakes, or not high enough.

G

For the adventurous soul, you have found contentment for a while looks like.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

For a while with hunting time fast approaching.

I haven't shot it yet, I'm waiting on a bore cleaning guide. It is weighing in at 8lbs.

DSC07855 (1200 x 900).jpg

Yesterday I was back up to my favorite little creek

DSC07866 (1200 x 900).jpg

I fished a green nymph up with no takers.

DSC07867 (1200 x 900).jpg

This pool was my destination and I knew that it would either make me or break me. Fortunately I hung the green nymph about 15 foot above me in a spruce on about the second cast.

DSC07868 (1200 x 900).jpg

The brookies were all over the parachute Adams.

DSC07873 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC07875 (1200 x 900).jpg

I caught a couple of native cuts for the diner plate before daily monsoon .

DSC07878 (1200 x 900).jpg

G

Man, I LOVE the pics. I will be up your way in Platoro for vacation next month, and back mid September hunting units 80/81. Your pictures make me feel like I'm already there.

Man, I LOVE the pics. I will be up your way in Platoro for vacation next month, and back mid September hunting units 80/81. Your pictures make me feel like I'm already there.

Thanks Ikeman, good luck on your adventures, let me know if you have any tips for me.

Just another day in CO, I had to take Hank for a walk. The Piedra was running a bit cocoa, no surface activity, I had some tugs on a gray bead head nymph. Today we are heading for the East Fork of the San Juan.

DSC07882 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC07885 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC07888 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC07892 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC07894 (1200 x 900).jpg

G

Back