Greenhouse Project

I added outdoor lights and lights inside should I want to work at night. Four bulbs on top of center post.

Lights 4 Inside Work.jpg

I put one double fixture outside on the front wall.

Outside Lights.jpg

I will be purchasing some outdoor bulbs in the near future.

We added a double plug on the center post which will give us flexibility with heaters, fans, timers, etc.
Plugs on Center Support.jpg

Notice the welded wire in the background. That is my critter barrier - at least I hope it is. :rolleyes:

Got to get both doors built and then the plants will go inside. I don't want birds in the greenhouse with plants. Need to caulk some electrical connections. Generally cleanup.

Troubleshoot the thermostat wiring.

Get a bad tooth pulled that has grounded me for two weeks - that is Wednesday morning task.

Thanks dogdoc. :p It has been a bigger project than I expected. I have not cut any corners. Sure I will learn some valuable lessons going forward.

Thanks Brush. Will be a learning curve with temperatures in a greenhouse after I put the covers on and inflate the envelop.

I imagine I will be carrying more trees through a winter to their second spring to plant a stronger more established tree.

Turkey Creek,
Thanks for the feedback. I am pleased with my DCO for year one. I believe I can do better next cycle.

To summarize on the sand box setup - 12 inches deep, recollection system, normal water soluble fertilizer, can be misting system - may not be a misting system. NOTE: I do well with timers - I stay on schedule - I favor a misting system.

Every source I hear brags up the root system you get out of a sand bed.
I appreciate you sharing your wisdom and experience with me. :D

I've been thinking about experimenting with this... But I may start out with sand..

http://www.plantsci.missouri.edu/PS2210/mgb/mgb_home.htm

It has become apparent to me that rootmakers are not necessarily the way to go for my location.

Matt

We got the exhaust fan wired correctly. I spoke to the Greenhouse Supply where I purchased the specialty items. The mechanical louvers over the back door open when the thermostat shows the temp is 3 degrees below the target temperature setting. The logic is open the louvers to allow air to enter the greenhouse. That influx of air may prevent the target temperature from occurring thereby avoiding the exhaust fan from coming on. The exhaust fan equals electricity used. I believe my design will generate excellent air circulation.

Got my bad tooth pulled this morning so maybe Saturday I will build my front doors and the back doors. The front door will be a double to accommodate my four wheeler entering the greenhouse. This tooth cost me two weeks delay, great pain and $$. Good riddance! :eek:

Once again wbpdeer, another excellent thread. Lots of great info and photos too. Keep it up. I have wanted a greenhouse for years. When I look for info online and youtube, its a little overwhelming. So many styles and designs. When I was a freshman in High School Horticulture class we built a greenhouse with mostly donated materials. We made enough money selling flower and vegetable plants to build a state of the art greenhouse (in 1993) when I was a senior. It was a great learning experience. Your greenhouse looks fantastic and I hope to do something similar in the near future. Thanks for the great info!

I worked landscaping and ran a couple of greenhouse when I was in college, absolutely loved the greenhouses! You are going spend a great deal of time out there as it becomes an addiction. I would stay after work sometimes and just set in a lawn chair for a while to relax the day away.
Do you plan on using spray for the occasional pest problem? We used predators quite often with good results. That was a couple of decades ago, I image it would be even easier to do now with the Internet.

Got hard wall ends and will have a double cover of plastics in early October. I have a hip board down each side which is two feet above the base board. I have welded wire to keep out unwanted critters. Mice will be exposed to spring traps and d-con.
When you say pest problem are you referring to wasps and bees?
Your experience level exceeds mine in this situation. Just trying to understand what you dealt with.
Thanks.

We.would order and turn loose predators and parasites to control aphids, mites, beetles, fungus nats, and other insects like that. I'll see if I can find a website later today to show you what is available. It certainly isn't necessary. You may never have a problem. You may use sprays if it becomes a problem, but it might be nice to know it's an option.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Catscratch

This is something I have never read about. It does make sense. Thanks for sharing. Growing things from seed or nut is a good addiction to have. :)

We went through a lot of inventory so lots of new plants coming in with critters on them. Once in a while something would boom in population and need controlled. I don't remember a lot of specifics but white flies seemed to be the most common. We would see a few, and get on the phone to make an order. A couple of days later a box of these little wasps would show up in the mail. Turn them loose and within a couple of days there were no more white flies.

Here is a website that sells stuff like this. I didn't look very close at it, but I think they cover about anything that could try to take over.
http://www.arbico-organics.com/category/beneficial-insects-predators-parasites

Back