Greenhouse Project

Soon will have the double 4 year covers on it. I will move my plants into it then.

At that point I can post a good set of photos. Thanks

Wayne

Been working in the greenhouse some the last couple of days. I need to do a better job of transplanting to large pots. I get too many irons in the fire and some of my plant suffer. Hope to do a better job planting timely in 2017.

Wayne...I've always heard that the key to a fulfilling retirement is to make sure you have something to do and look forward to every day. I'd say you have all the bases covered on having something to do every day! Just caught up on this thread and man, what a piece of work! You'd make a great neighbor! Thanks for sharing and keep em coming.

Wayne...I've always heard that the key to a fulfilling retirement is to make sure you have something to do and look forward to every day. I'd say you have all the bases covered on having something to do every day! Just caught up on this thread and man, what a piece of work! You'd make a great neighbor! Thanks for sharing and keep em coming.
Triple C - Our high school football coach was a talented man and he always told us to enjoy many different things. He made his own Jeep out of a damaged Volkswagen bug. He was a jack of all trades.

I can say the greenhouse and my trees are a joy. The One Thousand Chestnut Tree project has created many internet friends.

Thanks for the kind words. Good luck this hunting season. Is it real dry where you are? I have heard many drought stories this fall. I have been lucky here. I collected 9 gallon of Chinese Chestnuts yesterday off two trees about 55 - 60 years old. Had help from landowner and it took us one hour. ;)

Wayne...It's a dust bowl down here. As bad as it's been in a long, long time. .25 inches of rain since Sept 1 on our place according to Farm Logs app. Had decent rains throughout the summer but about late August, pretty much nothing.

Sorry to hear that Triple C. Makes fire a real risk. Only one time do I ever remember being in the woods in KY and it was so dry I left. There was a burn ban in TN and KY that year. I was about 1.5 miles from my vehicle in the deep woods on a new farm. My instincts said get out of the woods and I did.

Food plots suffer greatly with those conditions.

Kubota out in OK and Brushpile in MO have suffered thru long periods of no rain this year as well.

We have been fortunate here - been dry but not suffered very much. Got many timely rains during the heat wave. I watered trees very little this time.

Greenhouse Update

Today I sealed the door on each end with wood fir strips on the inside to restrict air flow around each door. I did purchase expensive weather stripping but will take that back as it was suitable for this situation. I am pleased with the finished product.

I tried last week and the week before to acquire the cover to get ship shape for the winter. McMinnville, TN is out of greenhouse covers at this time. Our temps for this week are fine but after election day the temps will be lower.

Sure hope I don't have to move plants into the basement on a temporary basis, but we shall see.

Anyone designing a greenhouse, 6 mil clear plastic is sold in lengths of 100 feet and my greenhouse is 26 feet long. I had no way of knowing that ahead of time. I just want to pass this detail along should any reader of this thread be in the planning stages on a greenhouse project.

Thanks for reading this thread.

Plenty of greenhouse plastic out there that comes by the foot! I would suggest you shop around a bit. AM Leonard, FarmTek, GrowOrganic and I am sure there are others.

Turkey Creek,

Do you mean the lineal foot or by the square foot. I need 32 by 28 to get a cover on this set.

Will these mail order firms sell it that way or will it be 32 by 100? Please advise.

Knowing what you know, what mil plastic would you suggest I get? I am getting clear because I am leaving my shade cloth on the greenhouse.

Thanks

I see 28' and 32' widths depending on vendor. Then your lineal foot would be the other dimension you mentioned. I dont know anything about the film other than that. Havent built a hoop house yet, its in the works thats why I know about the poly film sizing.

I have a code for free ground shipping from AM Leonard that I just got on an email. Not sure if it will allow you to use it but your welcome to try if you decide to order from there. I think FarmTek has a flat rate shipping of $9.95 most of the time as well.

Last edited:
Thanks Turkey Creek,

FarmTec website was the easiest to follow. Ballpark price slightly under $150 without shipping. AM Leonard site was not as easy to follow.

I have a Garden Center friend that is helping me. I am a retired state election official and I will work for a county in East TN as election day support. Our weather looks good thru then. I hope my cover is acquired by then.

I am headed to Ohio to bowhunt some this Thursday thru Sunday at noon.

Thank you for taking the time to help me. It is greatly appreciated.

Wayne

Thanks Turkey Creek,

FarmTec website was the easiest to follow. Ballpark price slightly under $150 without shipping. AM Leonard site was not as easy to follow.

I have a Garden Center friend that is helping me. I am a retired state election official and I will work for a county in East TN as election day support. Our weather looks good thru then. I hope my cover is acquired by then.

I am headed to Ohio to bowhunt some this Thursday thru Sunday at noon.

Thank you for taking the time to help me. It is greatly appreciated.

Wayne

I am sue there are other vendors as well, those are just some I have used for things in the past.
Your Welcome.

Wayne have you tried Morton products in McMinnville TN. That's where I'm ordering my greenhouse from.

Yes Morton's is where I can most of my supplies back in the summer. They are out of plastic and so is Cherokee. I am relying on my Garden Center Man, he has about 4 greenhouses to buy for.

I built my greenhouse from scratch. I got wiggle wire channel, shade cloth, exhaust fan, powered louvers and two stage thermostat from Morton's.

What size greenhouse are you buying?

Sounds like you have a nice setup
Get cover on and probably add propane heat and I will be done. So far I am pleased with my decisions and construction decisions.

Looking forward to learning how to use the greenhouse to my advantage. I believe one season will wise me up tremendously.

If I ever had a year of normal rainfall, I could supply you with seed, you name it, I have it. However even grass doesn't produce viable seed without enough rain.

Brush,

When I come visit you will wise me up and load me up on cuttings. I am looking forward to growing cuttings in the greenhouse setting.

Parts of GA and 'Bama have suffered drought also this year. We had the driest October in a long time. I watered on Sunday at the farm and I let our lack of rainfall slip up on me. Cost a few trees and many have been set back significantly. But I will have a new supply of seedlings in the spring. Got some Swamp White Oak, Chinkapin, Sawtooth, Burs, tons of Chestnuts, Concordia, and some more I can call right now. Got a good supply of DCO from Blitz.

I learned that I am not patient enough on my direct seeding. I direct seeded a significant number of DCO last year and thought they were a total loss. Not so - as I went back to establish new ones, I found 3 that made it even where I gave up on them and competition hid them from the sun. I have 12 locations with two DCO in the tube or hardware cloth cylinder. My goal is 18 locations with DCO - 12 in the north end of the field and 6 in the south end.

Reading Blitz materials closer, I discovered I should have been feeding my DCO more in the containers.

Elkie is having a great year. Proud for both of you. :)

Got my cover for the greenhouse this afternoon. I will put it on Friday morning first thing. Got some cold temps scheduled for Saturday nite / Sunday morning.

Glad to be at this point. I will post photos once it is installed.

Specs on Greenhouse Cover Purchase

Z Specs on Cover Purchase.jpg

Two people (me + one) started at 7 AM local time this morning. The photo below shows how it looked at 9:15 AM local time. The + one has the experience - I was motivated.

Z Cover by 9 30 AM.jpg

It has four ropes over the cover. Two you see on the stakes in the ground. The stakes are about 15 inches from the baseboard. This is necessary to raise the skirt up when ventilation is needed. Two ropes go end to end and you can see one at about 6 feet below the ridge plate.

Back