Live from the stand 2017

Hunted after work Thur and again fri morn. 26 deer. Few nonshooters and one 9 pt w kicker. I’ve been dancing but acorns have them scatteredand jst can’t get one close enough.
07b9896132ede1c9c1a26cd61235df35.jpg
Rain alll day today and snow tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had cowpeas, sunflowers white clover originally. Last Saturday I planted WR, WW, cimson clover and chickory into it. The lanes worked out. He came right down the lane towards us.

Nice going jack, very nice deer. Congratulations. Full story coming?
Jackson was holding out for a buck this year. Last year he shot a basket racked 6 pt which was his first buck ever. He knew this year any buck he shot had to be at least 4 points on one side or an old doe. My rules. After seeing the small fork horns this morning we hit a long dry spell. Windy, cold and no sightings for 4,5 hours kinda got him down. I tried to encourage him by telling him how many pictures I was getting in the evening in the clover patch just off the main plot. I told him that I fully expected to see a deer come from that clover patch this evening. 45 mins later that's exactly what happened. We could see the buck in the clover patch working his way toward us. Binoculars confirmed he was an 8 pointer. Jack started to breathe very hard and I had to remind him to control his breathing. The buck turned down a lane I cut in the milo and was headed right for us. At about 60 yards he turned broadside and I stopped him with a grunt. The shot looked good and the buck mule kicked and ran toward us slightly to our left. It was 5:15. We waited 30 minutes and went to look for blood. Three steps out of the blind and I could see the deer down. He went 60 yards and was 30 yards from the blind when he fell. The shot was perfect. Only had to drag him 40 yards to the truck. Jack was beaming!

Jackson was holding out for a buck this year. Last year he shot a basket racked 6 pt which was his first buck ever. He knew this year any buck he shot had to be at least 4 points on one side or an old doe. My rules. After seeing the small fork horns this morning we hit a long dry spell. Windy, cold and no sightings for 4,5 hours kinda got him down. I tried to encourage him by telling him how many pictures I was getting in the evening in the clover patch just off the main plot. I told him that I fully expected to see a deer come from that clover patch this evening. 45 mins later that's exactly what happened. We could see the buck in the clover patch working his way toward us. Binoculars confirmed he was an 8 pointer. Jack started to breathe very hard and I had to remind him to control his breathing. The buck turned down a lane I cut in the milo and was headed right for us. At about 60 yards he turned broadside and I stopped him with a grunt. The shot looked good and the buck mule kicked and ran toward us slightly to our left. It was 5:15. We waited 30 minutes and went to look for blood. Three steps out of the blind and I could see the deer down. He went 60 yards and was 30 yards from the blind when he fell. The shot was perfect. Only had to drag him 40 yards to the truck. Jack was beaming!
What a happy day for both of you!

Amazing how close that story matches my son's. Great father & son bonding time!

Mrs. OkieKubota's story she posted on our land tour thread...

"OkieKubota walked me to my tree stand and made sure I got in okay around 1530 (best husband ever). I was pretty excited because this was my first hunt of the year. Around 1600 I had a small deer slowly cruise through about 70 yards from my stand. At 1629 I had a lone doe come in about 40 yards east of my stand and slowly made her way out of site. I was thinking here we go! I’m sure a buck will follow her in. Guess what?..... Nothing followed her in. :( I kept setting and wondering if I would see another deer before dark. The squirrels were packed in and I’m just setting there wondering if I’ll regain feeling in my fingers drain. Around 1810 I look ttowards the trail that walked in and I caught leg movement. Then I look up and I saw some horns. I’m already setup good with my NEW muzzleloader and just waiting for him make it to an opening, so I could get a good look at him. I’m not sure what happened, but all of the sudden he stepped into the clear and I saw an elk!!! I started shaking, knees knocking and couldn’t control my breathing. He was making his way to my direction and stop every little bit to take a whiff. I pulled myself together and kept telling myself to wait and not rush the shot. He finally gave me a good shot about 40 yards out. I took a deep breath and consciously exhaled and slowly squeezed the trigger. Through the smoke I saw him take off running and stop about 50 yards to my left. I thought “I know I put a good hit in him”. All of the sudden he started the wobble death dance. I watched him crash, while trying to reload with shaking hands. I sat for 19 minutes in my stand and tried texting Johnny, but I had no service. Once my legs stopped feeling like jello I got out of my stand and decided to video me walking to him. Many times I’ve walked up to my deer and watched the rack and body shrink, but not this time!!! He kept getting bigger!!! I then thought I may have killed a buck that was on the No No list. This moment was caught on my most funniest video. After circling Big 7 a million times, I knew I couldn’t drag him out by myself. I sat firm by him and had some quality time with Big 7 while we waited for Johnny. When Johnny found us and I saw the look of pride and happiness on his face., I lost my composure and started crying and hyper ventilating. I’ve been dealing with a health issue for a while that I was thinking that something like this would never happen again. Last year I only hunted a few times with my bow, before pain became more than I could handle. This harvest was extremely emotional for me. I know there’s no crying in hunting!! :rolleyes: I am beyond blessed and give God praise for giving me another hunt! I give Johnny all the credit for this successful hunt. He has always made sure I have the best locations to hunt to be successful. Thank you for taking time to read my story! God bless and happy hunting."

Mrs. OkieKubota's story she posted on our land tour thread...

"OkieKubota walked me to my tree stand and made sure I got in okay around 1530 (best husband ever). I was pretty excited because this was my first hunt of the year. Around 1600 I had a small deer slowly cruise through about 70 yards from my stand. At 1629 I had a lone doe come in about 40 yards east of my stand and slowly made her way out of site. I was thinking here we go! I’m sure a buck will follow her in. Guess what?..... Nothing followed her in. :( I kept setting and wondering if I would see another deer before dark. The squirrels were packed in and I’m just setting there wondering if I’ll regain feeling in my fingers drain. Around 1810 I look ttowards the trail that walked in and I caught leg movement. Then I look up and I saw some horns. I’m already setup good with my NEW muzzleloader and just waiting for him make it to an opening, so I could get a good look at him. I’m not sure what happened, but all of the sudden he stepped into the clear and I saw an elk!!! I started shaking, knees knocking and couldn’t control my breathing. He was making his way to my direction and stop every little bit to take a whiff. I pulled myself together and kept telling myself to wait and not rush the shot. He finally gave me a good shot about 40 yards out. I took a deep breath and consciously exhaled and slowly squeezed the trigger. Through the smoke I saw him take off running and stop about 50 yards to my left. I thought “I know I put a good hit in him”. All of the sudden he started the wobble death dance. I watched him crash, while trying to reload with shaking hands. I sat for 19 minutes in my stand and tried texting Johnny, but I had no service. Once my legs stopped feeling like jello I got out of my stand and decided to video me walking to him. Many times I’ve walked up to my deer and watched the rack and body shrink, but not this time!!! He kept getting bigger!!! I then thought I may have killed a buck that was on the No No list. This moment was caught on my most funniest video. After circling Big 7 a million times, I knew I couldn’t drag him out by myself. I sat firm by him and had some quality time with Big 7 while we waited for Johnny. When Johnny found us and I saw the look of pride and happiness on his face., I lost my composure and started crying and hyper ventilating. I’ve been dealing with a health issue for a while that I was thinking that something like this would never happen again. Last year I only hunted a few times with my bow, before pain became more than I could handle. This harvest was extremely emotional for me. I know there’s no crying in hunting!! :rolleyes: I am beyond blessed and give God praise for giving me another hunt! I give Johnny all the credit for this successful hunt. He has always made sure I have the best locations to hunt to be successful. Thank you for taking time to read my story! God bless and happy hunting."
I like a good deer hunting story, with a great ending too.

Back