Protein Feeders

What protein feeder is everyone using? I am looking for a long term investment and not cheaply built, cheesy stuff. My current spinner type feeders like to plug up and not feed with the humidity and rain.

I hear ya on that. In the past I never had a problem with feeders other than batteries dying. This weekend I went to change the battery and add some corn to one I haven't touched since deer season. The feeder still had about 10 pounds in it and was clogged, moldy, and really nasty. I had to take it back to the house and clean it up. I guess I will get it out there in a couple weeks.

Whatever you choose make sure that it is coon proof. Non target specie waste can exceed 30-40%. So unless you want B&C coons this is critical. You also want it easy to refill. Best if opening is large and not very high so it can be filled easily either from the back of a truck or on the ground. Major pain if ladder required and lots of waste if your trying to pour a 50# bag thru small opening. Make sure the baffling system inside assures complete flow of pellets and doesn't bridge or dam the flow. That just requires you to need checking it more often to confirm all material is being distributed.

I am a fan of gravity flow free choice feeders vs timed release. I see no reason to restrict feeding if the goal is to feed. Depending on where you are located size of feeder can be important. If a very dry climate you can get away with larger feeders filling them less. If lots of moisture a smaller feeder filled more often to avoid mold and spout issues is preferred.

The Banks feeder above looks good though I have never used them. Lots of folks in Tx make high quality feeders but freight may be an issue. I can offer suggestions if interested as I've used numerous different kinds.

I appreciate all of the replies. Baker I will take any suggestions you have to offer. You hit several points that I am trying to over come like moldy feed, plugged feeders, and I want free choice feeding.

Happy to help. I have somewhere around 140-150 feeders feeding about 300-350 tons a year. Can share any experience that may be helpful.

Baker I'd like to see those when you have time on here. Are any of them bear resistant?

Happy to help. I have somewhere around 140-150 feeders feeding about 300-350 tons a year. Can share any experience that may be helpful.
I am doing this on a 60 acre property surrounded by cattle country and woods that no one hunts. Currently my deer fight over protein pellets which I know is causing social stress. Would one feeder be enough for 60 acres? I am thinking once we go to the unlimited meal plan it will decrease the fighting/ social stress. I have a dominant buck that will guard the feeder until he is done and then everyone else moves in to clean up leftovers. This is and will be the only improved property in the area.

Baker I'd like to see those when you have time on here. Are any of them bear resistant?
I have no experience with bears and don't want any. I'll dig thru my pics and see if I have some feeders. Suppose it is a good time to figure out how to post a pic.

Here is an All Seasons that was not coon proof. After experimenting with numerous strategies I finally found cut buckets to work Unfortunately not patentable. All in all like these for farm ..easy to fill, clean, and not too expensive.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    395 KB · Views: 11
These are the kind I use in Mexico. Have a few on the farm also. Hold 600lbs. Whole top slides off making easy to fill. No place for coon to sit and the vertical plate under the spout stops the coons that can do chin ups. I know many like their boss bucks. I have a few and don't like them. Filling hole is too high and too small. They do flow well though.

Attachments

• IMG_0039.JPG
    IMG_0039.JPG
    240.4 KB · Views: 8
Baker, do you believe an openly available protein feeder will prevent the fight I have going on now? I feel like once they figure out that they can freely feed anytime this should ease up. I will also have a food plot program up and going this fall to assist with nutrition. I have owned the land for less than a yr and have focused most of my time on habitat and other improvements like fences etc.

What you are seeing is typical dominance issues deer contend with every day. Those social pressures will be there regardless . There are a couple of ways to ease the tension around feeders. You can increase the number of feeders on you property but with 60 acres there is only so much you can do. Another option is to have 2 feeders in the same location. In mexico we have a protein feeder and a cotton seed feeder in every pen [ have to fence out hogs and cattle ] This allows the bucks to move around a bit and while some are on the pellets others are eating cotton seed.

Frankly I wouldn't worry about it too much though. I've seen as many as 14 bucks clustered around a feeder and over time they all get a chance at a meal but dominance is on constant display.

I've been feeding Attwoods 13% stock pellets through 3 different American Hunter spin type feeders since February in Kingfisher county Okla.
I haven't had any get molded or clogged up.. It may be the pellets your using. I will add that I dont think the deer like the stock pellets that well but a couple of weeks ago I switched to Rice Bran pellets and the deer love them.

I've been feeding Attwoods 13% stock pellets through 3 different American Hunter spin type feeders since February in Kingfisher county Okla.
I haven't had any get molded or clogged up.. It may be the pellets your using. I will add that I dont think the deer like the stock pellets that well but a couple of weeks ago I switched to Rice Bran pellets and the deer love them.
I have been feeding record rack berry flavored nuggets out of moultrie 30 gallon spinner feeders. Every rain mine are plugged up.

Where did you get that coon guard? I have the same Banks feeder but coons get onto it.

It was made for a wood duck box post (4"x4"). You can find them online if you google it, and you can also find the plans on how to build one.

Back