Quapaw Meadows (My 160 Acres)...

Your place looks like it has great cover and browse. Do you have wild fruit trees as well as those you have planted?

Persimmons likely won't last here due to the cold temperatures. I understand that they are a great plant in their temperature zone where you are. Some plums are reported to be zone 4 hardy. I don't hear much about plums. Are they a great deer food and do they grow prolifically? And regarding blackberries, do the deer eat all types of your blackberry bushes all winter?

Persimmons likely won't last here due to the cold temperatures. I understand that they are a great plant in their temperature zone where you are. Some plums are reported to be zone 4 hardy. I don't hear much about plums. Are they a great deer food and do they grow prolifically? And regarding blackberries, do the deer eat all types of your blackberry bushes all winter?
It is hard to beat a persimmon tree. Drop fruit during the entire hunting season and very prolific. No pruning, no fertilizing, and a late bloomer so a late freeze never gets the persimmon. Plum trees are an early blooming tree so are very susceptible to a late freeze. Fruit is heavily browsed and plucked right of the tree by deer and other critters. I have both sand plums which propagate by root suckers and create very thick cover and also native plum trees which are a small bush type tree. I have blackberry vines scattered everywhere. The fruit doesnt last long. I see very little deer browsing on the actual plant.

1.46" of rain and I think that is going to be it for this front. Last rain was almost a month ago and that was only 0.05. I sure hope this trend doesn't continue for the entire year. Have some more chances this weekend and early next week.

Todd...Had no idea you had so many apple trees planted. 1st time I recall seeing that many pics of them. Look great. Your lazy plot looks eerily similar to our lower lower plot minus the pine trees here and there.

Kudos to you guys that got this forum up and running. Hard to believe it's less than a year old. Glad it has remained a "drama" free forum. Just good guys n gals with the same passions sharing their knowledge. Just 6 shy of 900 members and then on to 1,000. Love it!

Todd...Had no idea you had so many apple trees planted. 1st time I recall seeing that many pics of them. Look great. Your lazy plot looks eerily similar to our lower lower plot minus the pine trees here and there.

Kudos to you guys that got this forum up and running. Hard to believe it's less than a year old. Glad it has remained a "drama" free forum. Just good guys n gals with the same passions sharing their knowledge. Just 6 shy of 900 members and then on to 1,000. Love it!
This has turned into a really nice forum but it's all due to the great members we have here.

That is about a 1/3 of my apple trees. I have them scattered all around my other plots also. I also have about a dozen pear trees planted also and another 25 pear seedlings in pots in my backyard that I will be grafting this spring and then will plant after deer season next year when they are dormant. I have a few chestnut trees I need to plant, about a dozen oaks, and then 17 AC's that brush sent me. After that I am done with trees. So next winter my tree goal will have been met and then it's off to something else. I've enjoyed the trees but am getting close to burn out with the trees. I don't know how some of these guys go and plant hundreds of trees in one season.

Just fully caught up Todd! Your place is looking great and producing. You've put in some time planting trees among other things. It seems to be a wildlife hotel.

Great bucks running around too. Some good ones made it through and congrats on your NT, what a stud! I'd be tickled with him on the wall. Even more importantly, congrats to your daughter on her awesome buck. Great work to you both. Like bota said, don't want mine to grow up but can't wait to do exactly what you do with your daughter. Keep it up Sir

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

This has turned into a really nice forum but it's all due to the great members we have here.

That is about a 1/3 of my apple trees. I have them scattered all around my other plots also. I also have about a dozen pear trees planted also and another 25 pear seedlings in pots in my backyard that I will be grafting this spring and then will plant after deer season next year when they are dormant. I have a few chestnut trees I need to plant, about a dozen oaks, and then 17 AC's that brush sent me. After that I am done with trees. So next winter my tree goal will have been met and then it's off to something else. I've enjoyed the trees but am getting close to burn out with the trees. I don't know how some of these guys go and plant hundreds of trees in one season.

If you hang tight on grafting all those pear seedlings ill hook you up with some more late droppers doc.

If you hang tight on grafting all those pear seedlings ill hook you up with some more late droppers doc.
I'll take you up on that next year. I have 8 pears that I planted in the field that were from seed so I have no idea what they will become. They were planted directly out of 18's in the field and tubed. I am always for increasing my diversity. Native sent me some late dropping scions and I have some scions that I got from GRIN in the fridge also.
thank you!!
todd

Started off the day with a little coyote hunting. Called 2 sets this morning. First set produced. I was using my daughters .243. After a few greeting howls I went into cottontail in distress. In about the 15 minute mark I caught movement to the left and noticed a nice yote sneaking into the call about 50 yards away. A soft bark stopped him and the 243 did the rest.
n1XYAAh.jpg

Did my first skinning job. Head was a little tricky but think I'll do better next time. I don't have a fleshing board, fleshing knife, or a stretch board so just froze the hide. This is a learning experience.

Planted a couple more fruit trees. One Enterprise apple and a Kieffer pear. Both grafted to a seedling I started from seeds. We were blessed with a couple nice rains and now with the warm temps the rye, wheat, and Clover are really taking off. What a huge difference just 1 week makes.
Ladino bouncing back nicely.
bSZdQtT.jpg

Grains look pretty.
KlUwHtn.jpg

Now the bad part of an early spring. Pears will be flowering in just a matter of days and it's still February.
FORAcZp.jpg

Off Friday so gonna do some more calling and habitat work.
God bless
Todd

Congrats on the yote Todd. I have skinned more critters than I care to including birds, snakes, coon, possum, skunk, bobcat, coyote, Fox, ring tail cat, hogs, javelina, hogs, squirrel, rabbit, pronghorn, elk, deer, goat, cattle, bear, and a few critters I can't think of right now...

Supposed to be 20's here Saturday morning and I have peach and pear trees in full bloom...another fruitless year...

Everything looks great!

Yep, some crazy weather. Saturday morning suppose to be 29 degrees. All my apples are still in dormancy with no bud swelling. Moonglow pear still in dormancy but my kieffer and orient are about to pop flowers anytime. Plums are not showing any signs either. Seems lately I get fruit about once every 3 years due to early spring weather.

Back