Quapaw Meadows (My 160 Acres)...

Todd - My Kieffers got toasted as well with late frosts. Seems to happen every year. Always get a little fruit but nothing like it should be. Orients on the other hand are just now beginning to open up. Hoping I get good fruit production from them this year and if so, will transition to later blooming varieties. Even the Bartlett pear is just now beginning to bloom. Love how easy the Kierffers are to grow but frustrating to see the fruit wiped out by late frosts due to the early time they bloom.

Great when your children love each other. Not trying to preach but I am a firm believer if your raise your children in the Lord then life is much easier and they will keep the Lord in their family also.

Can't agree more Todd. I'm blessed to be in the same position with my daughters.

Trees are looking great, hope the frost stays away for you.

Been a while since I posted on my land tour. Been very busy at work and last 2 weekends trying to get my daughter a turkey. We have come close a couple of times but haven't sealed the deal yet. With Average soil temps in the mid 60's and daytime soil temps in the 70's and decent chances of rain starting tomorrow I decided to spend my birthday today doing one of my favorite things--planting food plots. Last weekend I headed to Ross Seed in El Reno and picked up a couple of bags of Eagle Seed Manager's Mix Soybeans.
ODIw06Q.jpg

Headed to the 160 this morning and fired up the OSU Orange tractor and went to work. Planted 2 plots--each just a little shy of an acre. First plot was my was my Boggy Bottom Jr plot. This was planted in wheat and rye last fall. The grains were about knee high so I mowed the plot first and then tilled under all that nice green manure. The plot was very clean of weeds so no spraying prior to planting and since the Eagle beans are gly resistant I will spray with gly in about 6 weeks if necessary.
After Mowing:
Gu0Ly3V.jpg

After I mowed I spread my fertilizer and tilled everything under. After tilling I spread my seed and then lightly tilled the soybeans to get them covered. I'm always amazed how well the tiller buries the seed.
Finished product.
eTFCtih.jpg

Then repeated the entire process on my main food plot. This plot was planted in Eagle Beans last year and then over seeded with rye and brassicas in the fall.
Lot's of nutrients being returned to the soil
VravaNW.jpg

bqKDyW9.jpg

And of course no food plot is complete without an exclusion cage.
yjdR7n3.jpg

I have been fortunate to receive a few good rains but it is already dry--very dry. Praying this rain gives everything a drink this week. My boggy bottom plot looks greats. This will be the 2nd spring of the ladino clover, red clover, and chicory planting. I did go a little too heavy on the chicory but can't do anything about that now and the deer do seem to enjoy the chicory.
g2GqCx5.jpg

PHexrHd.jpg

If you remember last fall I got lazy and just decided to do a quick "throw and till" technique and it did really well. Just tossed my seed {wheat and rye} on the ground and tilled about 1" deep. After I tilled I did spread some ladino and clover and then just walked away. Took a fraction of the time and I see myself doing this again next year.
e7x2emf.jpg

QAZCgdb.jpg

I will hit this with some cleth in a couple of weeks to control the crabgrass and johnson grass that will come up.
I also sprayed all my apple trees. I may get a few apples this year but not many. I had tons of blooms on my yellow delicious but nothing else was blooming at the time however there are a few flowers that looked like they got pollinated.

God Bless
todd

I saw that but my pine seedlings are dying like mad right now...hot winds and no rains taking its toll...
Well praying you get some much needed rain this weekend. I planted about 20 trees, mostly pears and apples with a few chestnuts this winter, and have only had to water them a few times. Going after turkeys again Saturday for the oldest. I'm sure you'llbe Hunting this weekend also. If so good luck
Todd

What are you spraying your apples with? Half of ours are already done with flowering. As of last weekend the liberty, dolgo, and some other unknown tree that never has fruit were still in bloom. I'm hoping because this tree finally has some other pollinators we will get something out of it.

I didn't spray because the pollinators were hard at work. I need to spray though, I see the bags from last year ready to take over.

Our pears set good fruit even with the freeze in the last few weeks.

What are you spraying your apples with? Half of ours are already done with flowering. As of last weekend the liberty, dolgo, and some other unknown tree that never has fruit were still in bloom. I'm hoping because this tree finally has some other pollinators we will get something out of it.

I didn't spray because the pollinators were hard at work. I need to spray though, I see the bags from last year ready to take over.

Our pears set good fruit even with the freeze in the last few weeks.

I just use the Bonide fruit tree spray. There are better products but it's easy and I bought a big bottle several years ago and still have plenty left. It has done a very good job for me

A belated happy birthday Todd! I've had great luck with ladino clover. Thought I would plant Eagle beans this year in our biggest plot but don't think it's gonna happen. Grains are about 4 ft tall in it with clover at the base. Just gonna leave it for fawning and nesting cover and plant again this fall. Look forward to seeing your beans in a few weeks.

This plot was planted in Eagle Beans last year and then over seeded with rye and brassicas in the fall.

You mentioned that you added rye and brassicas in the fall. Back in the NE we need to get our brassicas in during July or early Aug in order to see decent growth. If you are not seeding until fall when do you generally experience your first frost?

Another belated happy birthday! Food plots are looking great. I'm ready to see how the eagle beans do for you too.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

This plot was planted in Eagle Beans last year and then over seeded with rye and brassicas in the fall.

You mentioned that you added rye and brassicas in the fall. Back in the NE we need to get our brassicas in during July or early Aug in order to see decent growth. If you are not seeding until fall when do you generally experience your first frost?
Usually don't get a freeze till mid November. Rape is what I over see with. Not going for bulbs. I should also state that my fall plantings are usually the first week of Septemper but eagle beans are a late maturing soybean so they might not get over seeded till end of September to first of October. As soon as the leafs start to yellow.

Big rains on the way for Oklahoma with chances of large hail and tornadoes. Hope the rain arrives bit can do without the severe weather but it is Oklahoma. Did a little turkey hunting yesterday with no success.
Looks like I am finally going to get my first fruit this year. Pear blooms all succumbed to a late freeze but this later blooming dolgo seedling has fruit. Excited to see what it produces since it is a dolgo seedling and not an actually grafted dolgo. Planted the spring of '14.
VXi2C11.jpg

Soybeans planted exactly a week ago and received 3/4" of rain the following day. I have take off.
sRpFnfL.jpg

Todd

Back