Recreating a Deer Woods

Hey Chainsaw, I’m still waiting to see pics of some of those big bucks I’m sure you guys were bound to have shot this year! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Chainsaw, I’m still waiting to see pics of some of those big bucks I’m sure you guys were bound to have shot this year! :)

Sorry Luke, there were no pictures of big bucks taken here this year.
It is hard to imagine with the giant deer the cameras caught this year, well giant for here, none of them were shot on this property by us. We did have a fun season and a great time, took a couple of bucks with poor genetics to make room for more giants to move in and learned some things that simply don't work when hunting these bigger or at least older bucks. While we killed zero big bucks this season we all had great hunting with many exciting moments, just very little results big buck wise. We are still trying to figure out all the ways we went wrong this season so that we don't repeat them.

The list of our missteps hunting this property will be posted on this thread as soon as I get a break from snow plowing. Lately the days have been wake up and plow snow until it warms up to five degrees or so. Then start the tractor and push the plowed snow banks back. For those of you who haven't got to enjoy the thrill of plowing here is what happens. On day one with say twenty inches of snow, the driveway is plowed say fifteen feet wide and this makes snowbanks of three to four feet high. On the next storm which could be one day later the plow pushes the new snow against the snowbank but not over it. The driveway then becomes twelve feet wide. A few more days of this pattern and UPS tells us they can not deliver any longer as our driveway is too narrow for their vehicle. Our snowplow though very large and cutting edge and very expensive(over $5,000) can not move those snowbanks. They must be scooped up with the tractor bucket and then dumped away from the driveway edge (at over a quarter mile of driveway with a four ft. wide bucket, that is 350 buckets of snow for each side of the driveway). So this cycle is being repeated day after day after day for now. The only thing that has interrupted this current cycle is getting stuck time and of course unstucking the plow truck is totally unproductive work, even more so than plowing snow. Soon though hopefully it might change and stop snowing for four or five days so we can catch up, POOR ME! I know you guys didn't need to know all this but next July when you are experiencing 100 degree type weather and we are lounging along the lake waterfront enjoying cool breezes and seventy-five degree days with no humidity, don't feel envious. We pay dearly in the winter for those cool summer lake breezes.

One great thing about the snow--we can let the dog out without tying her up. She will not leave the shoveled spot by the door. So there is good in everything, even snow.

DSC_3137a.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, you guys have gotten pounded over there. We're sitting on a foot or less here, but we're also just far enough South of Ontario to miss the lake effect. This weekend's weather is surreal with the temperatures. I'm hoping it's back to "normal" next week.

Can i complain to you Chainsaw? 1 degree here tonight! 2 weeks of this stuff. My daughter is in Charleston SC and she and dad and little one made a snowman yesterday! Crazy.
Deer are in the crop fields planted in radish cover crop. Extreme cold made that happen.

Yeah, you guys have gotten pounded over there. We're sitting on a foot or less here, but we're also just far enough South of Ontario to miss the lake effect. This weekend's weather is surreal with the temperatures. I'm hoping it's back to "normal" next week.
Good that you have missed the big snows. Just a few more days of cold and we can all get outside again and back to normal.

Can i complain to you Chainsaw? 1 degree here tonight! 2 weeks of this stuff. My daughter is in Charleston SC and she and dad and little one made a snowman yesterday! Crazy.
Deer are in the crop fields planted in radish cover crop. Extreme cold made that happen.
1 degree is tough for sure Fish. I see the whole country is experiencing extreme weather for their area. Cool though that the family got to make a snowman together. It is great that your deer have a field of radishes to eat during this cold spell.

There is a farmer up this way that makes the largest snowman in the area each year. This is a pic I had posted on the old forum from a few years ago. I need to drive over that way and see if they are still doing it. Them farmers know how to make the best out of everything nature throws at them, even snow!

The three guys on the left are the snowman makers, the two on the right are us tourists.

snowman1a.jpg

Good that you have missed the big snows. Just a few more days of cold and we can all get outside again and back to normal.

Counting down the days—this has been ridiculous. At least I know the deer have plenty of good accessible eats to get through this cold spell.

Was wondering how you must be faring. Not surprised to see the snow in your pictures - everyday we hear about the lake bands setting up over you. Gonna be a lot of snow everywhere in ny this year I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Wow I don't see how you guys deal with that. At least when I deal with southern summer heat and humidity I can just "go jump in a lake"

Elk and Farmhunter, I imagine your temps are similar to ours. Just checked ours, its minus 18.73 degrees but at least winds are calm. We have been in the snow plume more than normal this year for sure. Others have gotten it worse but we have our share. The snow that fell two weeks ago and about every day since that didn't make the ground is still sitting on the tree branches bending many of them to the ground. It is realistically all the deer can get to eat for now. Yesterday it warmed up to about zero for a short while but I just didn't have the desire to plow the driveway so I just let it sit there with the small amount of the days snow on it. My neighbor, a friend for almost fifty years just moved up here full time three weeks ago; I told him the winters were really not all that bad. He has seen the worst we have had in a long while in his first three full time weeks and may think I may be a little off on my interpretation of "not all that bad".

Lak,
It isn't as difficult to deal with as you might imagine that is for two retired people with no commitments, a freezer full of deer and store bought meat, vegetables, a pantry filled to the brim with food and many gallons of drinking water, a full propane tank (first year not burning wood), backup generator and a toasty warm 3800 sq ft. barn to live in and enjoy the days when we are more or less pinned in. We quickly learned to work and play according to weather conditions. Ie; inside jobs are done in the winter only. We save them up just in case of a winter like this. Preparing for inside jobs is done during good weather. ie; if you need boards or materials for a winter project, minus anything degrees is no time to go get it. The most difficult part is I sure would rather be outside doing habitat work which is done only a few days a winter some years like this one. But then when would the honey do list ever even get looked at if the weather was always tolerable? Walking parts of the property is still doable but we must pick our days of course.

Now for the people of working age it is another story. Imagine days of being a dairy farmer in this weather having to feed a few hundred cows everyday no matter what to say nothing of maintaining herd health, milking and waste management. In these temps seemingly everything breaks or freezes and needs emergency repairs always on the most brutal of days. I can't think of a tougher job than being a dairy farmer during these cold spells. Now dairy farmers, and a number of other professions must do no matter the weather, I look at in this weather and say "How do they do it?"

I also have the utmost respect for all of those who work outside day after day in these brutal cold conditions. From the guy who delivers propane, to the tow truck operator who pulls people out of ditches, to the snowplow drivers who work long hours plowing in unimaginable conditions, to nurses and other caregivers that get to work every day and night no matter what the weather, and actually to everyone that works through the winters here. They are the toughest most disciplined people I have ever known. How they do it is beyond me!

Last edited:
Can I complain here too. 2" of snow maybe last night on top of 4" that fell 1 week ago and is mostly gone. 30 degrees right now going back up to upper forties. 10 day forecast temps are going back into the fifties with constant sunshine.

G

You t tough Chainsaw as are your neighbors. Minus 6 here again and we haven’t been above 10 for a long time. I don’t mind winter but this last month starting to wear on me. And I can only imagine having to plow drive daily.
My power been off all night and I’m sitting in front of fire w generator running. Making me think of the farmers you spoke of. I know typically old Farm houses only heated first floor w second floor only getting residual heat. Guess that’s why they wore night caps. Stay safe Chain.

Hat's off to you northern guys! Guess everything has it's trade off. I know from years of following Chainsaw and others up north, you guys have some of the finest looking land anywhere. Dealing with that much snow is beyond my ability to relate.

Man, all those snow pictures are depressing. It's amazing how pretty everything is up there in the summer and early fall then to see this. Sheesh.

Man, all those snow pictures are depressing. It's amazing how pretty everything is up there in the summer and early fall then to see this. Sheesh.
The cold and snow does get to us but soon it will be gone and just a faded remembrance. Ironically the snow probably has a lot to with the spring thru fall beauty of this area. In many spots the ground is not frozen even now! The snow is melting from the ground up slowly in those spots even in this cold. We can't see it as it melts so slowly. By spring the water table here will be 1 to 1/2 feet down. It is likely and partly the stored up ground water that makes everything grow so well and that feeds the many, many streams and creeks that the Lake Ontario fish spawn in. Of course the lake effect dew and lake effect rains of spring and summer don't hurt either.

I hope your power is back on Dogghr. I didn't realize you were having temperatures that cold as well.

I was reminded by the local news yesterday that winter officially only began 2 weeks ago.

Actually, in terms of overall snowfall this year hasn't been too bad. The cold, in the absence of major storms, has allowed the lakes to make some nice ice. We have a great base now that will likely support fishing right through March. And the cold temps probably put a whuppin' on the bugs, so we have that to look forward to...

But Chain is right--it's tough for the working man (and woman). Winter means taming your expectations to fit conditions.

I like that Keith, "Winter means taming your expectations to fit conditions". That sums it up perfectly. Good point on the ice as well, without open water the lakes can't produce so much snow.

Finally the thaw is under way. It is 26.5 degrees out, that's plus degrees not minus. YAHOOOO! It's snowing but lightly and there is a 46 degree day forecast for the near future and a few days over freezing as well! The deer may get their break. AS Buckly stated, the deer have already endured a tough winter and the official winter is only two weeks in. Hopefully the coming thaw will give them a fresh start in preparation for the second winter that is sure to come. I hope all the rest of you tundra guys get the predicted thaw as well.

It does come back each year LLC but not all winters are as tough as this one has been so far.

Back