Sawtooth Oaks

The next sawtooth I find interesting is this one. The nuts never fall free from the burs. Much like a bur oak. And such, the tree is still full of acorns here in early November. Here's what they look like on the tree.

S3930002.JPG

Here's one from the ground...

S3940005.JPG

S3940006.JPG

Still plenty in the tree and this was taken on Halloween I believe.

S3940007.JPG

Deer don't care nothing about the bur surrounding the acorn. They eat the nut regardless. So I consider this tree another late dropper.
This tree has dropped plenty of acorns for many years running now. It's 14 years old.

ere's another pic of that sawtooth limb growing low in my backyard.

S3940002.JPG

I can literally walk up and see the empty burs, but hard to believe if the other day when I checked, there weren't still acorns attached.

S3940001.JPG

I reached down under this limb, which had limbs above, and scooped up a handful of acorns in seconds. They are everywhere! If you look on the ground under my hand, you can see acorns that I didn't have enough hands to grab. These latest pics were taken the same time as the "bur" sawtooth oak above, so I believe on 10-31.

S3940003.JPG

Stay tuned. It will be interesting to see if the whitetails find these acorns later in the fall when other food sources become scarce.

Looks like your acorn crop is plentiful this year. I have some limbs hanging down like yours, and that makes it hard to prune them. They produce so many acorns that I do not want to lose them.

Looks like your acorn crop is plentiful this year. I have some limbs hanging down like yours, and that makes it hard to prune them. They produce so many acorns that I do not want to lose them.
Lots of acorns around this year, which is why i think they arent eating the sawtooths up by the house as they have done in years past.
Most of my sawtooths are growing in areas where i dont wory about pruning, with the exception of a bark fissure in the leader. Low limbs are kept for food and screening.

I planted a few sawtooth oaks from native nurseries last fall, and have had about 75% survival so far, but not much growth, hopefully they take off next spring, So what about the Gobbler variety? Has anyone had luck with them?

I planted a few sawtooth oaks from native nurseries last fall, and have had about 75% survival so far, but not much growth, hopefully they take off next spring, So what about the Gobbler variety? Has anyone had luck with them?
Never planted that variety, but many of my seedlings have grown up to produce a small acorn.

Deer in the driveway when i got home tonight several hours after dark. Dont see that often, except when the ground is covered in sawtooth acorns, and that time is now.
They are a little late getting to these trees up by the house, but i suspect other sources are dwindling.

My sawtooth are just about done. But that's OK because the doe are here, the bucks are chasing - with 1 week to go. My chestnuts last into the 1st week in Oct and sawtooth start dropping at about that time into early November. The deer definitely seek them out. Make sure you get acorns from heavy producing, consistent producing mother trees. There are many strains that do not produce well. Plant as many as you have room for - you will not be disappointed. By the way, you can shorten the time to 1st acorn production by starting them in root pruning pots of some sort. I have 5 year old trees producing heavy that started producing at 3.

I hadnt really paid much attention to this thread but today when I was headed home i drove by a soccer club that is surrounded by red oaks.Then I noticed a sawtooth tucked in there in the line of reds. I pulled over and went back to check it out, there were 3 STO;s an only one had produced much but it had produced hugely. I could see the burs on the ground from a ways away.Deer turds were everywhere under that tree. I was only able to pick up 3 acorns, all of them were sinkers.Then as I drove further down the line I saw 2 more STO's, i'll have to go back tomorrow to check for acorns. The thing that got me was there were not many deer turds under the reds but that sawtooth had 5-6 piles under it.

Interesting observation capn. They are hitting mine around the house daily (nightly) now.
So many acorns on the ground a guy could literally roll an ankle.

Sawtooths have been done dropping acorns for a couple of weeks now. Most finished up in October. As I suspected, whitetails are venturing up closer to the house to gobble up the loads of acorns that having been laying on the ground here for weeks. Sources further out have been eaten.
This little guy was just off the backyard last evening. Momma was back a little further, reluctant to walk up to the house before dark.

S4030013.JPG

S4030012.JPG

Head down lapping up acorns that are covering the ground. We are in our 3rd weekend of gun season and for whitetails to be this eager to get close to the house in daylight says something for the attraction of sawtooth oaks.

Attachments

• S4030011.JPG
    S4030011.JPG
    235.1 KB · Views: 0
These gals cam through the other morning when I was home recovering from strep. Had to keep an eye out for deer. :D

S4020004.JPG

She picked her head up long enough to browse on the still green sawtooth leaves growing from a stump sprout.
S4020006.JPG

And sawtooths are pretty in the fall.

S4020007.JPG

But soon they become a lovely russet brown. :)

S4050002.JPG

We call this sawtooth hill here on the Home 10.... You can see a few trees front and center, but if you look behind them, you can see a lot of sawtooths that have grown up in competition....... they are slimmer. The wires in the foreground are on the apple trellis.

S4090001.JPG

S4090002.JPG

I dug around underneath one of the trees in the yard and found this. Lots of chewed up husks and still a few remaining acorns.

S4090016.JPG

The neighbor decided to start deer hunting again this year. We were nearly blasted out of the house several mornings recently. The locals have "disappeared" since. No doubt fewer in number and a little edgy about stepping out before dark. But, I did see my doe group the other evening, and what had been 5, was now 4. I'm ok with that. :rolleyes:

Good mix of habitat improvements Fish. I think I see Sawtooths, apples, miscanthus, and conifers in each of your pics. Looks like you've got it going on!

Those of you who have contacted me about acorns, they are sleeping soundly, boxed, and labeled in my fridge. Now, my wife wants rid of them ASAP, but I've been reluctant to ship with now the sub-freezing temps. The USPS doesn't have good hours for a working man who hunts his Saturday mornings. Still, they will be shipped very soon!

Good mix of habitat improvements Fish. I think I see Sawtooths, apples, miscanthus, and conifers in each of your pics. Looks like you've got it going on!
Thanks, catscratch. Every winter i do TSI, favoring cedars and oaks. Whitetails love it on sawtooth hill in October. Completely screened and more food than they can eat. The apples? Well, thats a love/hate relationship here on the Home 10. If i can manage it, i am going to fence in that portion of the orchard this winter. They have mangled my apple trees there for too long.

Do you have them caged? I've been contemplating an electric fence around some future orchard plantings instead of cages.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Back