Throw N Mow thread...

I cant drive my husqvuarna through a 3 inch dip without the deck hanging me up. Definitely a machine for smooth lawns.o_O

Thrown n mow that I did Monday got 4 inches of rain Thurs and Fri night. Grocery store beans/peas are sending out roots. If they can make it to soil within a day or two I think they will make plants. The general consensus is that the larger the seed the less likely it is to work with throw n mow, but I've been getting workable results with very large seed.
4daba4c801dbdcaa455a2e71ee277edf.jpg

b2f6a86a18fd0115aa97e37e8c21c25a.jpg

a440b65a8efad4403fa0964edf31f78d.jpg
e6d3a0bdfb9ecf9c31abfb3354f9a0e4.jpg
70356ac23ab1340d28ff0a09c22bb2d6.jpg
9ab5842d746bad0377464573a75828bd.jpg
60cdc06004257a92881febd9edddafef.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Had some leftover seed in the barn from last year. About 40lbs of oats, maybe 2lbs of turnip and maybe 3-4lbs of red clover.

Had a small, just under half acre field just off our road in a little valley. Never planted.

Threw seed and mowed over. No spraying. Figured the warm season stuff is more or less done growing anyways. Had over and inch of rain in the last two days and rain forecasted next week. Ground is moist. We'll see what happens...

IMG_2468.JPG

IMG_2471.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okie, there's no OM in that dirt. Use the throw and mow on that plot as well and build up the OM and it will hold moisture.

This is the throw n mow right next to that plot. Never been tilled...won't hold moisture either because we haven't had any at this location except 1/16th of an inch since beginning of July :( I did TNM here on the 21st of August and this is what it looks like now...the little green you see is weeds trying to claw their way back into the picture...with no rain whatsoever and powder dry ground even under the grass and weeds you will get nothing to grow. Rain...even small amounts...can make you either look like a hero or a zero...

1096f81280583ccb9fc4dc6f4a81f04e.jpg

This is the disked area taken the same day... Not much better. Both these areas have been planted since 8/21/16...

a8b790e395e600e08a73a231b3db4481.jpg

Okie, I'm still amazed at how many rains have shriveled up, or split around you. It's almost unbelievable. We've had the opposite this yr, everything that could have hit us did. I'm sure we will trade places in the near future.

Okie, I'm still amazed at how many rains have shriveled up, or split around you. It's almost unbelievable. We've had the opposite this yr, everything that could have hit us did. I'm sure we will trade places in the near future.
Just showing that no moisture whatsoever and it doesn't matter if you TNM or till...result will be the same...

Just showing that no moisture whatsoever and it doesn't matter if you TNM or till...result will be the same...

I just planted mine. Seems to me for years we tried planting on or before Labor Day.... Unless we have remnants of some tropical storm, it just doesn't seem like the moisture is there for fall plots lol. I decided to wait until well into september this year and see what happens.

Last edited:
I just planted mine. Seems to me for years we tried planting on or before Labor Day.... Unless we have remnants of some tropical storm, it just doesn't seem like the moisture is there for fall plots lol. I decided to wait until well into November this year and see what happens.

I used to plant August 15th or very close every year and had great plots in this location...

This was 09/10/2015

dce8fcb25356f2253c3986aaeea48fed.jpg

Same plot September 11th 2014...

7e52265efacb559871efea5195f42954.jpg

Is the problem TNM?....or is the problem calendar planting?

IF you pay close attention to your native cool season plants over time a few things will become consistent: 1) cool season plant emergence in Nature doesn't follow a calendar it follows climate, weather and field conditions, 2) cool season perennials break dormancy 1 or more weeks ahead of cool season annuals during late summer due to their stored root reserves, 3) cool season annuals emerge as new seedlings over several months during late summer, fall and winter because they don't have root reserves, and 4) not every cool season plant will appear every year....some years just are poor for some species. Dry years, wet years, high pressure warm fronts, cool fronts, rainfall timing, rainfall pattern, early frost, late frost, existing biomass, etc all interact and determine the cool season plant growing season and plant composition! Diverse seed mixtures lower the risk of total failure....leverage your planting by using diversity and pay attention to current conditions!

So why in the world do we fret when we can't grow something on 'our calendar'?....you have months to get it done....and some of what you plant may do better than other species! Did you diversify the mix? Did you consider conditions? Do you have a back up plan for failure?

IF your cool season plants haven't emerged, then don't fret as you have warm season forbs which can be managed....and this is what the deer will be using anyway until and while mast becomes available. Clip the top of some ragweed etc to stimulate new growth....forbs are tough plants and pretty good at working under dry conditions....manage what you have until you get conditions for what you want.....the animal is using what you have at any gives time, yet the animal doesn't live by 'hope'....we are the ones who live by 'hope'!

+

Diversity still helps though. We plant sorta by calendar but it is a 3 hour drive to the farm. A couple seasons ago we had everything planted had enough rain to get everything going and then the army worms showed up. They wiped out 85-90% of the rye and oats that had made it up to 3-4". Luckily though we had peas and clover and radish mixed in. The clover was not up enough to be under assault but the peas and radish were. For some reason which is unknown to me the army worms didn't eat the peas or radish. The plots remained viable into late December or early January because we didn't just plant grains.

Back