Throw N Mow thread...

Everything was sprayed at my house 2-1/2 weeks ago and I sill have not out my seed out. Hopefully I will get it this evening or tomorrow. It's just hard to get motivated after work to do anything except eat shower and go to bed.

My seeding rate will be for 1-1/2 acre.

100 lbs Abuzzi Rye
50 lbs oats
10 lbs red clover
5 lbs ladino white clover
2 lbs PTT
2 lbs rape

Nice mix of seed Ricky. Sounds crazy but run to Walmart and get a small 10# bag of sunflower seed. Mix it in. Sunflower pop up very quickly and young sunflowers are like ice cream. A great early draw. They will die with your first frost (if there are any left) and wont compete with your other plantings.

Sounds like a plan dog. I may just do that. I planted 50 lbs at the beginning of spring. It came up real good and got to about 4" then disappeared in just a couple of days. I could not relieve with the low deer density I have on my property it was gone that quick.

Sounds like a plan dog. I may just do that. I planted 50 lbs at the beginning of spring. It came up real good and got to about 4" then disappeared in just a couple of days. I could not relieve with the low deer density I have on my property it was gone that quick.

I plant a spring mix from my local co-op that has sunflowers mixed in. The first year I had this beautiful stand of sunflowers. Fed a lot of dove and turkeys. The next year I planted it I didn't get see one mature sunflower. I called my co-op buddy (good friend) and told him that I think the sunflower seeds in the mix were bad as I never saw a sunflower. He was perplexed as he said it was very fresh seed. Everything else in the mix came up great. I didn't even know that deer would eat young sunflower plants. So the following year the same thing happened. I had some left over seed so I picked out some of the sunflower and planted them in my veggie garden--they came up great. I then did some researched and realized that the deer were eating the sunflowers to the ground after they reached 4 to 6". Last year I replaced my usual planting of winter peas with sunflowers in my fall mix and it was a great success. The deer devoured them until the first freeze. Planted them again this fall. I have planted just about everything that can be planted and I have found that young sunflower plants trump everything.

todd

I thought I would update my results from my experiment in spraying a 4 yr old grass choked clover field with 28 oz of gly and the simply broadcasting brassica seed.

No mowing, no cultipacking, spray and throw.

Here is the field on August 21st, ten days after spraying.

751aa7e07c14d82f913bee22205af143.jpg

10 days later on Aug 31st

1fd95669acd5d2dc237b19862b272b17.jpg

and today on Sept 16th

fab1f8a94b4a3b6c1093a2adca023b66.jpg

I'd call it a complete success!!!!

Not worthy of a pic just yet, but the small half acre plot I planted a week or so ago has germinated well. Considering it hasn't had much rain, maybe a .25" before and after I planted, the oats and turnips have germinated and look to be growing quite nicely. I also didn't spray this field, so the summer grasses have still put on some growth after mowing but surely that will slow to a crawl pretty soon. Not too worried, gives the deer something else to munch on while the oats take off. They are sitting about 2" tall now with the turnips just throwing the first set of leafs out. Time to set up an exclusion cage to really see how they grow bc I'm sure once the deer find it it'll be toast lol. Also interesting to not was that I think the seed I used was actually 2 years old and had just been in the barn the whole time. Hence why I didn't spend much time on the plot. Maybe 3 hours tops was spent broadcasting and mowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I worked 12 hrs today so did not have much time to do all I needed but did get my seed out finally. We are supposed to have a good rain tomorrow. Most everything is dead from the gly. It was a couple feet high in a lot of places but is lying down almost everywhere from spraying and putting the seed out. I still want to bush hog it sometime this week if I get a decent evening. If I can knock it out before the seed really does much I don't think I'll hurt anything so long as I get it this week. I also went back in my woods and threw some seed out. I have a very small plot and a short logging road back there I planted. We will see how it comes out. If I can get a pic in the next day or so I will post and show updates later. The mix I used is the same mix I posted earlier in the thread with the addition of 50 lbs of cheap sunflower seed. I saved about 5-6 lbs of seed mix to put on barren spit in a couple weeks.

I have some tilled plots and a Throw&Mow experiment area hoping for rain soon. I left this strip down the middle of some pretty fertile soil to see how it will compare to covered seed.

I9OWgAW.jpg

Also, I left areas on the edges of this plot for throw and mow. I did not want to till around the pear trees and this will give another good comparison.

01mvRu1.jpg

I was not able to distribute the thatch evenly, as my bush hog throws the cut grass almost into a wind row. I tried a higher then lower approach, but not sure I did a good job. Also, there are numerous turkey and crow in the area.

Here is my throw n now when I planted it the 21st of August...Turnips, rye grain, radishes, wheat.

ff182cdee7e747da0398d92d5183ce5e.jpg

Here it was yesterday...

b08971eff8b6301132919e0ca7ecb21c.jpg

The little bit of green is weeds...

Even with throw n now you must have moisture. We had none at planting time and less than 1/2" of rain since I planted the 21st of August with most every day being 90+ and windy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_1856.jpg IMG_1853.jpg I put out some lover and chicory on a plot just to try the throw n mow but I didn't mow it because it was supposed to rain that afternoon and for the next 10 days. well it rained that afternoon and a little a couple days later and that was it. It did come up and is still hanging on. I am waiting for a couple weeks and I will put some Abruzzi rye on it also.

It has been dry here. We got some rain last weekend and have a small chance next week. I will be leaving town for the first week of October and I am running out of time as far as planting goes. A week after we get back it will be bow season. I was considering planting this Saturday. Would I be better off disking and planting with the small chance of rain? It seems that the throw and mow method takes a good bit of moisture. I just hate to wait until deer season to plant.

It has been dry here. We got some rain last weekend and have a small chance next week. I will be leaving town for the first week of October and I am running out of time as far as planting goes. A week after we get back it will be bow season. I was considering planting this Saturday. Would I be better off disking and planting with the small chance of rain? It seems that the throw and mow method takes a good bit of moisture. I just hate to wait until deer season to plant.

Wish I had a suggestion for you. When I got ready to plant I swear the 10 day forecast had some rain in it for this weekend. So I planted and boom, chances were gone. I have small patches that are TnM and will hope for some moisture before the turkeys and crows get the seed. Seed in the other plots was covered with a disk harrow, that did a pretty good job. It will sit fine until enough moisture to germinate. The key is to get a couple of rains in the two week period after germination.

Back