Triple C's Place

Really enjoyed reading all the history you have over the last 5 years. Some amazing bucks. I'm sure you get more excitement watching your grandson make a harvest over yourself. I know I do with my daughters.

As I have said before they way you bring your family together with your land is awesome.

Todd

Excellent 3C...all my old forum buddies are here!

Brian AKA Stickbowcrafter on former forum

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Left last Tuesday for a biz trip to Nebraska. Arrived back at Atlanta airport bout 5:00 friday afternoon. Fought the traffic and made the 2 hr trek east to the farm. Stopped in a little community called Woodville - just a wide spot in the road, and picked up a BBQ pork sandwich. Wish I had taken a pic of the place. Been there a long time. Anyhow, I arrived about 7:45. I was solo. Hopped in the Ranger and made a quick "security patrol" as I like to call it. It was hot! Got back...poured myself a Scoth and soda and admired the walkway that was built sometime last week leading from the front porch of the cabin to the fire pit. Then sat around the fire pit and watched the sun set. All was good with the world.
Firepit.jpg

Sitting at firepit.jpg

Like many of you guys, we've had a brutally hot summer. I can't recall a summer with more consecutive days above 90 degrees. If you have the Farm Logs app on your phone then you track rainfall and heat units. I really like the app. Anytime rain falls I get an update. I also like the heat units charts. Here's our 2016 heat units as compared to the 10 year average. As you can see we are way above normal.
Heat Units.jpg

If there's a bright side to the oppressive heat it is that we have had ample rainfall, particularly for the past 2 months. We were trending well below the 10 year average from mid February thru the end of May but over the past couple of months we've made up the deficit and are now right on the 10 yr avg.
Rainfall.jpg

Plenty of rain has kept things growing and green. Early this morning I went for a short walk in the thinned pines to see what plants were being browsed. Pics don't do browse justice cause it's so hard to see the browse in the pic. I'm not sure what this plant is but deer hit it hard. I have an exhaustive "Weeds of the South" book but I still have a hard time identifying them. I need a visit from Native Hunter for some hands on tutoring in plant I. D.
Browse.jpg

It wasn't but a few months ago that the area in the pic above was mostly a solid stand of pine straw. A few honeysuckle vines here and there, but prior to thinning, my pine stand was pretty much pure pine straw. Here's a pic before thinning.
Pines pre-thinning.jpg

Pic after thinning and you can see how much the canopy has been opened up. This pic was taken right after thinning in this section back in April and is now covered in new growth. Wish deer browsed dog fennel cause I now have that stuff everywhere.
Pines post thinning.jpg

I posted pics of our 27 yr old stand of loblolly on the QDMA forum. We also thinned this stand for the 3rd time. Thinning in the older stand took place last October. After thinning the ground was pretty much bare from all of the logging equipment. With all the rain we've had the understory is now over 6 ft high in places. Deer love this stuff!
Pines by creek.jpg

Mowed pine area.jpg

Wow. That thinning made a huge difference. Lot of food and security.

Looks great - love the walkway.

Todd

Thought I would post a few pics from areas on the property that I've either never or seldom posted pics from. My east boundary is a creek. I own across the creek. It's a beautiful creek that meanders thru hardwoods and is usually almost dry this time of year. Not the case with all the rain we've had recently. This pic of the creek is about halfway down my east property line.
Creek I.jpg

The following pic is near the area where the creek enters the wetlands area and the beavers are busy doing their handiwork.
Creek II.jpg

We have several mature hardwood draws that come up out of the bottomland area toward the north end of the property. Lots of water oaks, red oaks, hickory and the occasional white oak. Only one draw contains a lot of white oaks. I love sitting in this hardwood draw come October.
Hardwood Draw.jpg

If you followed my thread on the QDMA sight you may remember me posting this pic in February 2012. We planted bare root Wax Leaf Myrtle whips that were 12 to 18 inches long at the time of planting. Wax myrtle is native to the southeast and makes a great screen. It is evergreen and forms a very bushy multi-trunked plant growing to a height of 20 feet or so.
Wax myrtle at planting.jpg

Here's a pic of one of the wax myrtles planted almost where Brooks is standing in the above pic. The fence is about 5 feet tall. The wax myrtle is circled in red. Four years later the plant is pushing 10 feet or higher. Great native screening plant for areas in my zone 8b and higher.
wax myrtle 2016.jpg

And finally...a few deer pics. A couple of weeks ago I set a camera overlooking white clover in our bean field. One thing i've learned about white clover is that with ample rain it just keeps putting on growth throughout the summer. Always cool to see fawn pics.
Doe n fawn.jpg

Deer in clover.jpg

Less bucks on camera this year than in previous years. I've a bout come to the conclusion that this is my last year supplemental feeding. It's very expensive and I feed so much more than deer...pigs, squirrels, crows, raccoons, turkeys and deer. Too much waste. If I feed next year at all it will be in the feeder you can see in the background in the pic above. It is a galvanized steel DD trough feeder that raccoons can't get in nor can pigs.
Bucks I.jpg Bucks II.jpg

That's all for now. Thanks for reading along. I don't wish time away but I am most definitely looking forward to cooler weather when the family will look forward to coming down. Happy trails from the Triple C Farm!

It all looks great 3C! Are you going to replant the loblolly pines they removed?
Okie - I won't replant until I do a final harvest on the stand. I'm hoping to create enough cover to support quail in the pines. Just this morning, I had a visit from a local friend that is an avid trad bow guy. He loves to hunt pigs. He bow hunted last summer and whacked quite a few. I was showing him around the thinning of the older pines and had a quail to flush in front of us! Pretty exciting. We have a couple of covey on the farm for the past few years. I will thin the younger pines again in about 7 years and may even do a 4th thinning of the older stand to open the canopy up even more. Not sure I will ever do a final harvest in the older stand. I love the open pine look with lots of understory. As long as I don't get a pine beetle infestation I will probably not do a final harvest any time in the foreseeable future.

Wow...quail!

As a boy I used to love traipsing through the grown up fields and broads with an old long Tom 16 gauge single shot shotgun. I remember in a good day I could jump a couple covey of quail and get 4-5 rabbits and a few squirrels. Now quail are just about extinct in those old stomping grounds...

The other day I was driving up the blacktop portion of road that leads to "Home 10" and a bird ran out into the road and I accidentally hit it...I stopped and it was a male bobwhite :(

TC, just catching up with your thread. Wow such beautiful pictures.

Your plant looks like Nightshade. Probably Black Nightshade. One of those toxic plants that deer browse.

Great update TC. You are right about the hot weather, but most of those native grasses love the heat, humidity and water. Walkway is a great addition.

Great update, love the fire pit and walkway. You have some great sons! Nothing like having a quality workforce that enjoys those projects.

Thanks guys!
NH...figured you would know what that plant was. I'm getting better. Carry my weeds book with me often while out and about the property but still lacking when I see a plant I'm not familiar with and can't immediately find it in the book.

As for the walkway...Brooks does that stuff for a living. Brought one of his guys down for a day last week and put preservative on our entrance fence and sunk the stones in the ground for the walkway leading to the fire pit. Pretty sure he gets somewhat of a kick out of doing stuff and not telling me prior. No complaints here! His sis and mom never liked the fire pit after he moved it from out in front of the center of the cabin. They are now happy, happy, happy.

Tenured Student...pics forthcoming on the biscuits. And as for your screen name...it's time you changed it. You are no longer a "tenured student". You're a freakin' PHD in forestry!!! Let's go with something like "Tree Doc", "Deer Doc", Eco Doc, or something to the like. Might as well put it out there that Tenured Student earned his PHD from Clemson University. That is not an easy accomplishment.

Back