Triple C's Place

Love my pitch X lobs here in southern Indiana. Ive seen borer holes in some. Thats got me a little worried.

really nice thread - really enjoyed reading about the harvests - Also the fire pit is so well done, I'm a huge fan of that - and I love the view from it -
Thx farmhunter! That view has really changed since Jan 2011. Those pines were much younger and you could see forever. Still a very nice view but instead of looking over the pines we now look down thru the pines.

Love my pitch X lobs here in southern Indiana. Ive seen borer holes in some. Thats got me a little worried.
Southern pine beetle infestation is a bad, bad thing down here. I haven't seen an outbreak in quite some time. Not sure you guys have pine beetle issues up there but I'd definitely have any bores checked out.

Day Trip to Farm...
Did something today I haven't done but once since 2011...did a day trip to the farm. A lot of you guys been following my issues with a staph infection I posted in the general discussion section. Started antibiotics on Wednesday and haven't been out of the house since Wednesday afternoon. Meds are working their magic! I couldn't take another day of sitting inside so at 6:15 this morn, I rolled out of the driveway and started the 2 hr trek to the farm. Left just as the sky was beginning to gray. We live about 25 minutes northwest of Atlanta just off I-75. The farm is located 1.5 hrs east of Atlanta.

Thought I would take you along on the drive that I make most fridays around noon. I didn't start snapping pics until I was about 40 minutes into my journey. I travel south on I-75, then east on I-285, then north on I-85, then east on Hwy 316 toward Athens. I made the 20 minute drive down to I-285, went east and made the 12 minute drive to I-85 north and as I was approaching Jimmy Carter Blvd on I-85 I snapped my 1st pic...
JCB.jpg

A few miles north of JCB, I take Hwy 316 toward Athens. Luckily at this time of the morning and particularly on a Sunday there's hardly any traffic.
316.jpg

Around Lawrenceville on Hwy 316 I encounter a beautiful sunrise...
Sunrise.jpg

I exit 316 at Hwy 53 and drive thru Watkinsville which is where we raised out children. Brooks and Ashli live there now. On the way is the church we spent 20 years attending before moving to the metropolis - Briarwood Baptist Church. All the children were
baptized here. Lots of wonderful memories.
Briarwood.jpg

A few miles further down the road I pass thru the small town of Watkinsville and then head toward Oglethorpe County. Always pass right by Brooks house on the way. Hard to see in the pic as it's surrounded by really mature hardwoods. Small brick ranch built back in the 50s and out in the country. Noticed he hadn't left as I went by.
Brooks house.jpg

About 25 minutes from Books house I come to the sleepy little town of Lexington. Not a single traffic. Not much going on in Lexington these days. There is a beautiful courthouse which you can see on the right in the pic.
Lexington.jpg

About 7 miles from Lexington, I turn onto a single wide dirt road. There's lots and lots of dirt roads in the area.
Dirt Road.jpg

A short drive down the dirt road and I'm here! Always such a nice feeling to arrive. Thanks for riding along with me. Hope it wasn't too boring. Now for some farm updates.
Entrance.jpg

I arrived at the farm around 8:25. It's been 3 weeks since I was last there. Here's a few pics from today.

This water hole was created in 2012. Hasn't ever gone dry. Pines to the left are so much more open now that they're thinned. Love this water hole.
Water Hole.jpg

This pic is from the back of the area we had clear cut in the south end of the bean field, looking back toward the bean field. This was cut last October. Amazing what sunlight and rain will do to the ground compared to what was nothing but mostly pine straw this time last year. The water hole is on the left around the pines you see with the trunks showing. We have a large excavator arriving tomorrow to remove the stumps from this area. He was supposed to be here weeks ago but just got behind. No worries...we'll prepare it to plant next year.
Fallow behind beanfield.jpg

In a small sapling in the pic above I ran across a swarm of honey bees that had gathered on a limb. Hopefully they will find a nice hollow tree nearby.
Bee Hive.jpg

Good weeds. Not sure what this is but the deer love it.
Browsed Weed.jpg

I do know what this is and I hate it! Dreaded coffee weed / sickle pod. Very small area of infestation and pulled it up.
Coffe Weed.jpg

Here's a pic of the 1st logging deck from last fall. Dozer scattered all the slash. Come next January, we will be planting a few pear trees and hopefully, one of LLC's grafted Arkansas Blacks and Yates apple trees.
1st logging deck.jpg

Nothing new to report on trail cam pics. Same bucks hanging around and nothing that really gets the juices flowing this year. Love seeing these little fella's show up on camera.
Fawn.jpg

Brooks made it down and had the sprayer hooked up to the tractor when I made it back to the cabin. He is spraying most of the fields. We should be able to plant next weekend or the following weekend. While my visit to the farm was short...it was much needed. Thx for following along!

Attachments

• Oglethorpe Oak Trunk.jpg
    Oglethorpe Oak Trunk.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Oglethorpe Oak.jpg
    Oglethorpe Oak.jpg
    456.7 KB · Views: 0
  • OO Leaf.jpg
    OO Leaf.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for the ride. I felt some nostalgia, some love for the land, and some appreciation of beautiful countryside. I bet you got some good preaching and some good eatin' at Briarwood B.

Just curious AC why you go through Watkinsville instead of staying on 316 to the 10 Loop to US 78 to Lexington?

Thanks for the ride. I felt some nostalgia, some love for the land, and some appreciation of beautiful countryside. I bet you got some good preaching and some good eatin' at Briarwood B.
lak...Lots of good preaching and you know there was good eating!

Just curious AC why you go through Watkinsville instead of staying on 316 to the 10 Loop to US 78 to Lexington?
Tommy...mostly for nostalgia reasons. We lived there for 23 years and just always like riding thru the area. It's at least 10 minutes longer. If I'm in a hurry I just stay on 316 to Athens.

Enjoyed the ride along. Sometimes ya just gotta get away - even if it's just for a day.
Thx docdog! Ride wasn't habitat related but figured I'd show a few pics of my drive.

That was fun ride, enjoyed it. Glad you are doing better. That sitting around house gets old…in about 10 min. Thinned areas are looking great.

Triple C ! Always enjoy the updates- glad you are recovering.

If you need to spray sickle pod go with flex star gt 3.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triple C ! Always enjoy the updates- glad you are recovering.

If you need to spray sickle pod go with flex star gt 3.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Y'all set us up a weekend to get together (except the first one in October). Just give me two weeks notice so I can get it on my calendar.

Enjoyed the drive and farm pics. I wont complain having to drive 40 minutes anymore. :D
I missed the thread on your health troubles. Great to hear you're on the mend.

I enjoyed the ride and was able to see approximately where your land is located, which is further from the coast than I envisioned. Isn't it amazing that land draws you to it and the peace you felt when you arrived!

Day Trip to Farm...
Did something today I haven't done but once since 2011...did a day trip to the farm. A lot of you guys been following my issues with a staph infection I posted in the general discussion section. Started antibiotics on Wednesday and haven't been out of the house since Wednesday afternoon. Meds are working their magic! I couldn't take another day of sitting inside so at 6:15 this morn, I rolled out of the driveway and started the 2 hr trek to the farm. Left just as the sky was beginning to gray. We live about 25 minutes northwest of Atlanta just off I-75. The farm is located 1.5 hrs east of Atlanta.

Thought I would take you along on the drive that I make most fridays around noon. I didn't start snapping pics until I was about 40 minutes into my journey. I travel south on I-75, then east on I-285, then north on I-85, then east on Hwy 316 toward Athens. I made the 20 minute drive down to I-285, went east and made the 12 minute drive to I-85 north and as I was approaching Jimmy Carter Blvd on I-85 I snapped my 1st pic...
View attachment 2316

A few miles north of JCB, I take Hwy 316 toward Athens. Luckily at this time of the morning and particularly on a Sunday there's hardly any traffic.
View attachment 2317

Around Lawrenceville on Hwy 316 I encounter a beautiful sunrise...
View attachment 2318

I exit 316 at Hwy 53 and drive thru Watkinsville which is where we raised out children. Brooks and Ashli live there now. On the way is the church we spent 20 years attending before moving to the metropolis - Briarwood Baptist Church. All the children were
baptized here. Lots of wonderful memories.
View attachment 2319

A few miles further down the road I pass thru the small town of Watkinsville and then head toward Oglethorpe County. Always pass right by Brooks house on the way. Hard to see in the pic as it's surrounded by really mature hardwoods. Small brick ranch built back in the 50s and out in the country. Noticed he hadn't left as I went by.
View attachment 2320

About 25 minutes from Books house I come to the sleepy little town of Lexington. Not a single traffic. Not much going on in Lexington these days. There is a beautiful courthouse which you can see on the right in the pic.
View attachment 2323

About 7 miles from Lexington, I turn onto a single wide dirt road. There's lots and lots of dirt roads in the area.
View attachment 2321

A short drive down the dirt road and I'm here! Always such a nice feeling to arrive. Thanks for riding along with me. Hope it wasn't too boring. Now for some farm updates.
View attachment 2322

Triple C - I had to laugh reading the summary of your 4 hr (2x2 hrs) day trip to your property. I laughed because I find myself taking day trips more often now than a few years back...time is more limited with the kids having all their sport activities. I actually live right of off JCB.......I know the feeling; I can't wait to leave town but I always take I-20 East and recall that you sometimes take that same trip. Once I pass Covington, I finally have some peace... I look forward to making the trip tomorrow morning...not exactly looking forward to cutting grass, liming the food plots, etc in 97 degrees but it "recharges the batteries" nonetheless. :)

Last edited:
Loved the ride along and history lesson:D Baptist church = good preachin and good fried chicken! Nothing like pulling in to the gate, best stress relief available. Sicklepod:mad:

Back