Triple C's Place

That will give him 6 days to hunt.

I'm looking at a hunt tomorrow then firewood gathering on the weekend so my season will be coming down to the same 6 or 7 days. I wish us good durability.

G

If Brooks ever wants to do a very similar hunt but with a much higher success rate, PM me. I go to New Zealand every April to hunt roaring red stags. The plane ticket is expensive, but everything else is cheap. Hunts are on public land with no guides. We get at least one stag every year and pass up numerous animals. The scenery and terrain can't be beat.

If Brooks ever wants to do a very similar hunt but with a much higher success rate, PM me. I go to New Zealand every April to hunt roaring red stags. The plane ticket is expensive, but everything else is cheap. Hunts are on public land with no guides. We get at least one stag every year and pass up numerous animals. The scenery and terrain can't be beat.

I'll guarantee you he will take you up on that. I was in New Zealand in 2009. Stayed outside of Queenstown. Had no idea the hunting was so good there. Incredibly beautiful country and cool local culture. Thew back a brew called Monteith's Black that the local boys drank. Can't find it here in the U.S. He's all about DIY hunts and can flat cover some nasty terrain. I will let him know when he returns from CO.

George - Just got off phone with Brooks. He's headed back Monday for 1 more week. Fly's into Eagle CO around noon on Monday and out the following Monday. 1st time flying. Said he couldn't make a solo round trip drive. Hope he is able to make it happen next week!

Good luck to Brooks, hope he gets on a good. But from the sound of things, he's happy just knowing the trip is booked.
Good luck to Dad, if he decides to pull an OkieKubota in East Georgia.
Our 10 day forecast has little rain, but like you say, a cold front later on. Our schedules are working out for a Wednesday planting, so probably a Wednesday planting it will be.

Good luck to Brooks, hope he gets on a good. But from the sound of things, he's happy just knowing the trip is booked.
Good luck to Dad, if he decides to pull an OkieKubota in East Georgia.
Our 10 day forecast has little rain, but like you say, a cold front later on. Our schedules are working out for a Wednesday planting, so probably a Wednesday planting it will be.
lak...I headed south yesterday on business and Brooks headed west to Colorado. Rode to the airport together and awaiting his first Spot Me update. He's not as diligent as Dustin was about checking in. Should get an update today to see where he is hunting. Dustin and Jaden are coming down this weekend. We're going to put up a few ladder stands. Jaden is now 12 and will be 13 on December 1st. This will be his 1st year hunting alone from time to time so Pops wants to make sure he has safe ladder stands to hunt from.

What a beautiful place. Y'all got it going on!
Thanks a bunch Stonewall. Certainly been a labor of love since Jan 2011. Still adjusting to how different the place looks since thinning the pines. Previously, it was like being in the Black Forest prior to thinning. Now it's very open with lots of stuff growing under the pines.

Not a habitat update as we still haven't planted fall plots but a pic of an annual occurrence. Brooks turned 39 on Sunday so we had a little birthday gathering on Saturday evening. Momma baked him a chocolate cake and made sure he got his annual birthday kiss. Not sure he was real thrilled by the look on his face but deep down, I know he was.
IMG_1920.jpg

American Beautyberry has sprung up all throughout the thinned pines. Deer don't heavily browse it but certainly find the plants they like and browse it pretty good.
IMG_1890.jpg

Pokeweed often goes untouched as browse but certain plants just get hammered. This one and a few around it have been heavily browsed all summer.
IMG_1886.jpg

Just wanted to say how much I enjoy your updates.
Landscaped in Atlanta for a few years and still like seeing that beautiful red clay.

ahem...too few candles on Brooks Cake...LOL

Poke has been getting hammered on our place this year. Pretty sure I haven't found any of them that haven't been browsed. I guess the dry conditions have them seeking it out...

Tell Brooks "good Luck" from the hollow and it should be a good time putting up stands this weekend! I will be doing some of the same at our deer lease for the final stretch coming into October 1st...

ahem...too few candles on Brooks Cake...LOL

Poke has been getting hammered on our place this year. Pretty sure I haven't found any of them that haven't been browsed. I guess the dry conditions have them seeking it out...

Tell Brooks "good Luck" from the hollow and it should be a good time putting up stands this weekend! I will be doing some of the same at our deer lease for the final stretch coming into October 1st...
Thx Okie! Got a good feeling about Brooks this week. He's solo so no brother or camera man to have to deal with. Always a right of passage when the young un's get old enough to hunt by themselves. Remember the 1st sit both of my boys did solo and looking forward to Jaden to begin the same. I'm guessing he's gonna feel mighty proud this weekend locating just the right tree to put up a ladder stand for him.

Cool kid/man pic. Mom's are always mom no matter your age. Hope he scores with the Wapiti. It was a Poke thicket that I jumped the four bears from last week at 15 yard.. They love the stuff and once my export animals make it your way, you can have the same pleasure.

AC, we planted our fields Saturday in the dust and heat with no promise of rain in sight. It was brutal. Struggled through it. But guess what, when I got home, Sunday's forecast had changed from 20% chance of rain to 60%. Don't recall ever seeing it go IN our favor. We got nearly 0.6 inches there Sunday night (nearly 2 here at the house) and they got a pop-up 0.25" last night. Nice.

TC,
My brother and father and two of my brother's friends are going to Colorado in October to do what your kids are doing...no guide. They will be in Rio Grande National Forest near Durango. I think they will be there about 10 days. It will be interesting to see how this ends as my brother is gung ho but not the best preparer and my dad is 73 (although he is in good shape). My brother's friends have some experience out west so they have that going for them.

As for me I'm saving up for the guided hunt with a base camp!!

Great to see the new browse in the thinned pine stand. Hope to see an elk on the ground soon. And hopefully a whitetail soon.

Cool kid/man pic. Mom's are always mom no matter your age. Hope he scores with the Wapiti. It was a Poke thicket that I jumped the four bears from last week at 15 yard.. They love the stuff and once my export animals make it your way, you can have the same pleasure.
The Bears are within 60 miles and keep expanding every year. Won't be long before I get a bear pic.

Great updates and cool pics!
Thx cat!

AC, we planted our fields Saturday in the dust and heat with no promise of rain in sight. It was brutal. Struggled through it. But guess what, when I got home, Sunday's forecast had changed from 20% chance of rain to 60%. Don't recall ever seeing it go IN our favor. We got nearly 0.6 inches there Sunday night (nearly 2 here at the house) and they got a pop-up 0.25" last night. Nice.
Could see the rain coming when I left Sunday. Mighty timely on your planting.

TC,
My brother and father and two of my brother's friends are going to Colorado in October to do what your kids are doing...no guide. They will be in Rio Grande National Forest near Durango. I think they will be there about 10 days. It will be interesting to see how this ends as my brother is gung ho but not the best preparer and my dad is 73 (although he is in good shape). My brother's friends have some experience out west so they have that going for them.

As for me I'm saving up for the guided hunt with a base camp!!
I'm with you on the guide and lodge. Got a spot me update from Brooks last night. Showed his elevation at 10,200.

Great to see the new browse in the thinned pine stand. Hope to see an elk on the ground soon. And hopefully a whitetail soon.
Me and you both on the elk. It's been 9 or 10 yrs since his last bull. We'll be chasing white tails as soon as it cools down.

Pokeweed is funny. I know we have talked about it before but you can have plants next to each other and one is browsed heavily and the other one not even touched. Weird.

Back