Triple C's Place

Brooks seals the deal on a Colorado bull and so does his buddy!

Not a monster but pretty good for a DIY hunt on public land.. After Dustin and Brooks came up empty on their hunt the week before last, Brooks decided to head back out this past Monday by himself to give it one more try. As fate would have it, a buddy of his that Brooks took out 3 years ago for the 1st time was out in the same area with his brother where Brooks took him 3 years before. Guy happens to come into town and calls Brooks late last week. Brooks convinces hime to pick him up in Eagle, CO at the airport on Monday. All goes as planned and Brooks, his friend and his friend's brother are back out there at the trail head Monday afternoon. Said the bulls were insane bugling all week. Brooks is camped on drainage over from his buddies. Wednesday morning, he has bulls bugling
above him and below him. Unknown to him, his buddies have worked their way over into the drainage that Brooks was hunting and his buddy arrows a nice bull before dark. They recover it and pack it back to camp. The buddies are ready to head out and Brooks convinces them to give him this morning to hunt. He was working up the mountain with bulls bugling above and below him. He had this elk come in at 30 yds and presented him with a front quartering shot. Perfect shot and the bull crashes down the mountain and expires about 200 yds from where he was camping. Disappointing that his brother had an arrow deflect on a bull week before last but sweet redemption that he was able to get it done this week along with one of his buddies. Both bulls caped out and meat packed on ice in coolers in the back of his buddies truck ready to head back to GA in the morn. Proud dad for having introduced him and his brother to the outdoors and archery when they were just big enough to draw back a bow.
IMG_3405.jpg

Brooks buddies bull from yesterday morning.
IMG_3372.jpg

Packing out to the trailhead this afternoon.
IMG_3441.jpg

Last edited:
What an awesome hunt, elk steaks are the best. congrats to him and his buddy. I also love that Kuiu camo.

Thx for the comments guys! He'll be back tomorrow and hopefully make it down to the farm for dinner. I'm heading down at lunch. Dustin and grandson Jaden and I will be setting a few new ladder stands tomorrow. High forecast of 94 degrees. Still way too hot to hunt but looks like cooler weather is headed this way.

Gage...Interesting observation on the Kuiu camo. Brooks been wearing Kuiu before anyone ever heard of it. Remember the 1st time I ever saw it and thought it was great looking camo and truth is it is really high quality, hi-tech clothing.

[

Gage...Interesting observation on the Kuiu camo. Brooks been wearing Kuiu before anyone ever heard of it. Remember the 1st time I ever saw it and thought it was great looking camo and truth is it is really high quality, hi-tech clothing.[/QUOTE]

It is good stuff for sure, but I only have a few pieces as I am a little too round for their sizing. Congrats to Brooks again, and I hope he shares some of that excellent table fare.

Any of you guys looking for an easy-to-assemble, lightweight ladder stand to bow hunt out of then check out the Ol Man Bowlite stand. They're a breeze to assemble and only weigh 45 lbs. Easy for 1 person to set. Has a wide base at the ground and then a low profile single step ladder. Stand is 15 ft tall. Plus, they are inexpensive. We have 3 Millenniums that are by far the most comfortable stand I have ever used but once up, you have to be really motivated to want to move them. At 60, I've decided that ladder stands are going to replace hang-ons for me. I was looking for something that wouldn't interfere with drawing my recurve and decided to try a couple of these stands due to their weight, ease to move around and relatively low profile. Think I'm going to like them. Strap a tree strap on to hook into and should be good to go. Grandson had to climb in to check it out after setting it.
IMG_1954.jpg

After great luck with Ol Man climbing stands I tried an Ol Man ladder stand several years back.. I fully agree, they are great. But I am a believer in putting two tie straps on any ladder stand.

Back