What's a good source for chicory

Shade isn't heavy. There is an opening in the bottomland trees where a large garden was planted. Johnson Grass is encroaching along the edge of the garden.

Brush, all of the places I've grown chicory get quite a bit of sun. I do have some scattered big tree there, and the chicory seems to do fine near them except for close to the trees where the roots are more prominent. As for Johnson Grass, I've been able to avoid it so far, so I don't have a good feel for how to judge the shade tolerance it has. I do notice that at the edges of the woods that my NWSGs seem to thin out some, but that may have as much to do with tree roots as shade.

I have never tried chicory in shaded areas but mine is out in full sun, they like this alfalfa and chicory strip we have.

Plant your chicory as part of a mix with clovers and grains, if this will be a fall plot. If the shade is excessive for chicory, the clovers and grains will fill in. Few things are as drought tolerant as fall-planted chicory.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Just remember with chicory in a mix, it complicates the chemicals you can use to control broadleaf weeds. 2,4DB will kill it. I think Raptor/Clearcast is the only safe broadleaf herbicide for chicory. I find myself doing a lot of spot spraying when chicory is in the plot.
I do like it in my plots though. I get mine from Welter's.

Back