Working at the Farm - Took a few I-Phone Pics

I've only done dormant to dormant. Will rethink that in the future. Always learning from the likes of you, Fish and others. Thanks.

Hopefully some of the more experienced grafters will chime in on that point dogghr. I know our dormant to actively growing worked well for us last year. Actually, I was putting persimmon grafting off right now for a few days until the leaves start coming out. Got my scions in the fridge ready to go.

NH, lord knows I'm no expert, but outside of grafting rootstock the majority of mine are dormant scion to growing wood.
I like a hint on pears and apples and with pecan, walnut, persimmon I like to see a inch or more.
I've had some takes, some failures, gotta play around with them to see what works best for a person's area I suppose.
I've got some pecan in my crisper now, waiting on the trees at the farm!

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Hopefully some of the more experienced grafters will chime in on that point dogghr. I know our dormant to actively growing worked well for us last year. Actually, I was putting persimmon grafting off right now for a few days until the leaves start coming out. Got my scions in the fridge ready to go.
The scion should be dormant (stored cool), but the stock is usually in some form of active growth. Some grafts require the bark to slip (peel), which only happens when the stock is awake.
A lot of dormant apple grafting goes on, but with persimmon i always wait for a tree thats awake. Last year i tried bark grafting a persimmon as it started to green up and i was still too early. Bark ripped instead of seperating from the wood.

Thanks Merle and Fish for that information. I consider both of you guys advanced in grafting because of all that you have done.

Yes, my crabapple bark was peeling real nice the other day. I could have probably grafted those crabs even a couple of weeks earlier. They are a variety that leafs out and flowers much more quickly than any other apple or good crab that I grow. They are the equivalent of Bradford Pears in crabapples...:D

My good crabs like Dozier and Dolgo are much slower about coming alive in the spring than those I grafted.

Thanks Merle and Fish for that information. I consider both of you guys advanced in grafting because of all that you have done.

Yes, my crabapple bark was peeling real nice the other day. I could have probably grafted those crabs even a couple of weeks earlier. They are a variety that leafs out and flowers much more quickly than any other apple or good crab that I grow. They are the equivalent of Bradford Pears in crabapples...:D

My good crabs like Dozier and Dolgo are much slower about coming alive in the spring than those I grafted.
I wonder how that affects the future spring growth of the variety you grafted, if at all? Ive grafted onto early spring crabs and if pressed i would say those Liberty trees are ahead of the Liberty trees on traditional semi-dwarf stock. But not by much. Maybe a few days.

I wonder how that affects the future spring growth of the variety you grafted, if at all? Ive grafted onto early spring crabs and if pressed i would say those Liberty trees are ahead of the Liberty trees on traditional semi-dwarf stock. But not by much. Maybe a few days.

Fish, I don't know the exact answer to that question, but what you have seen with the Liberty trees is about what I would expect.

I've got scions making leaves in one week after topworking. Seems fast.

Got the roof fixed.

Franklin Cider apple taking off well.

Food plot visitors.

Still holding on.

Apple trees loaded. This was a week ago.

I haven't got to turkey hunt yet. Was in Florida working this week and arrived home in wee hours of the morning. Hoping to get to hunt some next week. Wishing all a blessed Easter.

Last edited:
When I graft seedlings it's usually about 2 weeks before I see leafs. Small scion with a huge root stock so that doesn't surprise me.
Dude-go get a gobbler

When I graft seedlings it's usually about 2 weeks before I see leafs. Small scion with a huge root stock so that doesn't surprise me.
Dude-go get a gobbler

Hopefully next week I can find some time to get after one.

I need some new metal too.

All is looking very nice.

G

Thanks G. Since you may be missing your pear tree, I took a pic today of how far along the Kieffers are.

I noticed we will have a few pears this year...very surprising!

Metal looks great on the shed...

Thanks Johnny. That roof should easily outlast me unless we get another tree into it.

Pear fruit set is good here this year but a little less than last year. I have never seen such a fruit set on apples. It is crazy big both at home and at the farm. I'm really excited to see how the year plays out with them.

I thought I'd give you a little update on the scions you sent me. I grafted 2 seedlings of each variety you sent. Scions were in great shape. The 2 Hunters Choice are just now coming alive.
BliAuhj.jpg

eEIlThS.jpg

XSkAXUN.jpg

UvsXgbh.jpg

wVqEcV4.jpg

JDsEBOr.jpg

Thanks again for sharing.
Todd

I thought I'd give you a little update on the scions you sent me. I grafted 2 seedlings of each variety you sent. Scions were in great shape. The 2 Hunters Choice are just now coming alive.
BliAuhj.jpg

eEIlThS.jpg

XSkAXUN.jpg

UvsXgbh.jpg

wVqEcV4.jpg

JDsEBOr.jpg

Thanks again for sharing.
Todd

That's awesome Todd. Those things took off like bullets. You apparently did a great job grafting.

I'm anxious to hear how you like Ayers for an eating pear. I think you will love it.

Mt first turkey hunt got train wrecked by a pack of dogs running deer, but at least I didn't come home empty handed. This is from the new small property I recently bought.

My banana crop looks good this year.

Food plot coming to life.

Northern Whitetail Crabs coming to life.

Snakes coming to life.

Someone forgot to tell the Golden Hornets that they aren't recommended by UK for our state.

An old dog can learn new tricks. Training new apple branches with clothes pins.

A little beauty.

Hope it isn't raining in the morning. Might be my last chance to turkey hunt. Saturday is forecasted to be a downpour and I'm on the road again next week.

Back