Buckwheat

Paradise725

So I've followed this forum and the previous one for a couple of years now and I frequently see mention of planting buckwheat in food plots. Would someone mind providing a synopsis of why one should or would plant buckwheat? I've picked up a few tidbits along the way but want to make sure I'm up to speed. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buckwheat is usually planted as a soil builder and/or cover crop. It will grow in pretty much any type of soil and thrives in warm weather (it will absolutely die with a frost), making it very popular as a summer planting in new food plots (i.e. old logging decks). A popular rotation is buck wheat in the summer (2 crops of it if your growing season is long enough) then winter rye in the fall. This rotation will improve soil organic matter during the first few years.

Sometimes deer hammer buckwheat, sometimes they don't. Bees and other pollinators LOVE it, as do turkeys, doves, and other birds. It is a HEAVY seed producer if allowed to mature, so most people terminate it before that point if they don't want a second volunteer crop.

Cutman sums it up perfectly. As long as it is warm and a little bit of moisture it is nearly given to grow. I have junk soil so that is why I use it, this last planting is the first time I have ever seen deer actually eat it but for me that isn't why I plant it.

Cutman's explanation is perfect, but just to expand a little bit on the "cover crop" concept: Buckwheat germinates and canopies very quickly, when planted at the right time. This can be to your benefit because it creates so much shade that other stuff you do not want to grow either doesn't germinate or quickly dies, if it does.

Say you have an old pasture or meadow area and you want to convert part of it into an actual food plot. You can mow it and/or disc somewhere in middle to late Spring, wait a couple of weeks for new growth, spray that with 2 quarts/acre of glyphosate (generic for Round-up) and then plant buckwheat the same day. Before the stuff you sprayed has any chance of coming back, or new stuff germinating, the BW will take over. It acts very much like an additional spraying of gly; one that lasts 6-8 weeks before producing a lot of seed. In southern locations you can double-crop by allowing it to produce that seed and then flailing the plot before cultipacking. In northern locations, you can wait a little longer before planting and time the termination of the buckwheat to coincide with the planting of your Fall plot, usually a winter rye-based mix, like Cutman said.

Cutman's explanation is perfect, but just to expand a little bit on the "cover crop" concept: Buckwheat germinates and canopies very quickly, when planted at the right time. This can be to your benefit because it creates so much shade that other stuff you do not want to grow either doesn't germinate or quickly dies, if it does.

Say you have an old pasture or meadow area and you want to convert part of it into an actual food plot. You can mow it and/or disc somewhere in middle to late Spring, wait a couple of weeks for new growth, spray that with 2 quarts/acre of glyphosate (generic for Round-up) and then plant buckwheat the same day. Before the stuff you sprayed has any chance of coming back, or new stuff germinating, the BW will take over. It acts very much like an additional spraying of gly; one that lasts 6-8 weeks before producing a lot of seed. In southern locations you can double-crop by allowing it to produce that seed and then flailing the plot before cultipacking. In northern locations, you can wait a little longer before planting and time the termination of the buckwheat to coincide with the planting of your Fall plot, usually a winter rye-based mix, like Cutman said.
I like to plant wheat and Elbon rye in a fall mix. Any reason the above process wouldn't work for me ?

I like to plant wheat and Elbon rye in a fall mix. Any reason the above process wouldn't work for me ?

None whatsoever! :)

You don't mention where you're located, but for northern locales, I like to work backward about 8 weeks from the time of the Fall planting to determine when the BW should go in. If you want to do field prep before the BW, factor that in, as well. For NASCAR fans, it's kind of like how crew-chiefs work their pit strategy on a road course.

None whatsoever! :)

You don't mention where you're located, but for northern locales, I like to work backward about 8 weeks from the time of the Fall planting to determine when the BW should go in. If you want to do field prep before the BW, factor that in, as well. For NASCAR fans, it's kind of like how crew-chiefs work their pit strategy on a road course.

I'm in East Texas and I usually plant my fall crop this weekend, but due to ten inches of rain in August, I'm running behind. Thanks for your help!

Back