Geo in Co

What is with the ear tag? Research?

Think it is an old brookie.

It is a little ways away, but a few years ago a team from Texas Tech were doing a study near Raton, NM. Those deer had green ear tags similar to Geo's, but they all also had collars. Interesting.

It is a little ways away, but a few years ago a team from Texas Tech were doing a study near Raton, NM. Those deer had green ear tags similar to Geo's, but they all also had collars. Interesting.

Most likely another study but these animals do a good bit of traveling in their migrations. I believe that the radio collars are designed to eventually fall off.

"What is with the ear tag? Research?

Think it is an old brookie."

I have learned of a few different studies done on mule deer in these western states. Mule deer aren't doing very well. 20% are said to die annually in Colorado due to cwd. South west Colorado is the only part of Colorado that doesn't have cwd. My observation thus far would indicate that mule deer are doing pretty well around here.

Good call on the brookie. I went to town yesterday for a San Juan worm and a couple of egg patterns and some answers. No conspiracy, there are 4 fish species that live in the res and river above, brook, bow, cut, and kokanee. The brook and the kokanee are the anadromous fish. Guy said that brookie may be 5 or 6 or 9 years old.

Color in the oak has peaked.

DSC07018 (1200 x 900).jpg

7 acres of food plot would probably be sufficient here too.

MFDC1298 (1200 x 675).jpg

MFDC1277 (1200 x 675).jpg

6 cord by measured volume.

DSC07023 (1200 x 900).jpg

G

This is what Dad and I do after deer season unless the fish are biting. Right at 3 rick on the trailer. Heat both houses with wood.

When you get a chance and the right setup I'd like to see a video of you catching and landing one of those trout.

Last edited:
Just returned from a Smokies backpacking and fly fishing trip. Seeing your pics had me itching to cast again.
You are sprinkling something on the brassicas. When i discover what it is, maybe my Indiana deer will eat them.

thanks AC/TC.

DP, that is a nice load of wood.

Doug, the nip in the air runs about a month ahead of Iowa, here.

Just returned from a Smokies backpacking and fly fishing trip. Seeing your pics had me itching to cast again.
You are sprinkling something on the brassicas. When i discover what it is, maybe my Indiana deer will eat them.

I used to hang out in the Smokies back before the Rockies became my/our #1 destination. I'm glad that you got out.

There are kokanee in Nantahala.

I'm still pouring the same magic elixir that I poured in Iowa. Do you think that is the secret?

MFDC1502 (1200 x 675).jpg

MFDC1503 (1200 x 675).jpg

because they sure cleaned up the patch.

MFDC1709 (1200 x 675).jpg

I topped off my stack last week

DSC07052 (1200 x 900).jpg

and Sunday morning last week it was 57 degrees indoors so I had my first official fire. I had to crack a window to get enough air flow to burn.

DSC07046 (1200 x 900).jpg

G

Lots of pride in a good pile! How long was the Brook Trout and also the salmon? A Brookie over 13 inches puts up a good fight!

I told you those Elk were like a needle in a haystack......

They don't care to hang around with people that's for sure.

Lots of pride in a good pile! How long was the Brook Trout and also the salmon? A Brookie over 13 inches puts up a good fight!

Wood pile? I concur. Those fish were 12-13".

I went up yesterday

DSC07079 (1200 x 900).jpg

being the gun opener to check on traffic at the trail heads. It looked like less traffic than peak bow season.

DSC07071 (1200 x 900).jpg

I don't know if the log jam stopped the spawning migration or if this is where the kokanee just like to do it.

DSC07066 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC07059 (1200 x 900).jpg

I didn't bother them yesterday. I did see some fish starting to come apart.

G

Thanks pretty cool. I believe Kokanee are the only salmon native to land locked water. Are these spawners swimming upstream from a lake?

Thanks pretty cool. I believe Kokanee are the only salmon native to land locked water. Are these spawners swimming upstream from a lake?

Not native but perhaps naturalized. I used the term anadromous but I now believe that term to relate to salmon/fish that migrate from salt water up in to fresh water streams. Kokanee are anadromous sockeye salmon that were stocked in to fresh water lakes. These kokanee are migrating up from Williams Creek Reservoir, they are probably 3-4 year old fish returning to their birth place to spawn and die.

G

There is a decent sized log rolled over and torn up next to my front yard compost pile

MFDC1796 (1200 x 675).jpg

MFDC1807 (1200 x 675).jpg

I might try a dozen greasy doughnuts.

G

Can you bear hunt out there right now? Catch those fish and smoke them for winter food.:)

Beautiful pictures and yarn spinning G. My kids are still talking about the scenery from our trip to Pagosa over the summer. Keep the fish & yard plot pics coming. Stay warm brother.

Can you bear hunt out there right now? Catch those fish and smoke them for winter food.:)

If I had a bear license I could be hunting a gun season, no bait or dogs. There isn't much meat on those skinny fish.

Beautiful pictures and yarn spinning G. My kids are still talking about the scenery from our trip to Pagosa over the summer. Keep the fish & yard plot pics coming. Stay warm brother.

Thanks Man. I've been weather watching around the country and I have to say the weather here has been rather boring the past few weeks, upper 60s, sun all day long. Solar heat keeps my house above 60 degrees till the sun comes back up.

G

Back