Greenhouse Project

Well there is a market for all kinds of things as this proves. I learn something everyday. Got a friend in the business and we have never talked about this.

Glad you shared this here. Thanks

We went through a lot of inventory so lots of new plants coming in with critters on them. Once in a while something would boom in population and need controlled. I don't remember a lot of specifics but white flies seemed to be the most common. We would see a few, and get on the phone to make an order. A couple of days later a box of these little wasps would show up in the mail. Turn them loose and within a couple of days there were no more white flies.

Here is a website that sells stuff like this. I didn't look very close at it, but I think they cover about anything that could try to take over.
http://www.arbico-organics.com/category/beneficial-insects-predators-parasites

I'm going to have to try to remember this site...I might have to get some Fly Eliminators for my Father-in-laws farm.

Hey WB... I was watching your greenhouse project on "some other forum", and was amazed at the hard work you have invested. Good to see the shade cloth on and the other things you have accomplished. You good folks have me making all kinds of plans of things that I would like to do, but it is hard not spending hours reading all of these post and not outside accomplishing something. Is the length of your greenhouse orientated East to West? They are calling for only 90° today, and lower humidity, so I'm heading outside now while I'm feeling motivated. Hope the tooth is better and please keep the updates coming..... Jb

JB

The tooth was pulled two weeks ago. It cost me a month from working on the Greenhouse. I have been working myself back into shape this week. I have tire issues on the tractor and am doing weed eating relief on trees at the farm. It has been good for my health.

Got to get the front door and back door built on the greenhouse and move plants inside it. Have seen a few thunderstorms and the shade cloth and wiggle wire are a good combination. I have two ropes end to end right below the ridge on each side. I have one rope at the middle from long side to long side.

Yes we are location in an East-West line. Glad to have it this close. The gravel and floor level are high enough I don't have to worry about huge amounts of rain. My area of Middle TN has seen huge rainfall this spring and summer. We experienced hot temperatures too.

It has been much work but I am happy to have this resource for my tree operation.

I will put two covers on in October and blow air into the envelop. My exhaust fan and mechanical louvers work as designed.

Thankful for the YouTube resources. It made my preparation easy and helped me avoid costly mistakes.

Been side tracked doing other projects but I got the back door installed on the greenhouse. The back door will open onto a gravel pad where I will park my John Deere Tractor. The tractor on the farm was an easy target for those up to no good.

Back Door Installed.jpg

Thanks for reading this thread.

The front door of the greenhouse is much wider than the back door. I will be able to get my four wheeler inside the greenhouse. This door took more effort but it is installed. Thankful for a tool like a "dremel" to work on thresholds and door faces. This door is between 49 and 50 inches wide. Sorry for the poor quality on the photo - the sun was directly overhead and gave me problems.

Front Door Installed.jpg

I have about 60 plants inside at the current time.

Turkey Creek,

I will be as soon as I add to sheets of 4 year plastic and inflate them. Going to try to paint the doors this week.

I can bow hunt in KY now - so I will work the paint job in somewhere. :p

Awesome buddy. I have really enjoyed following along.

Thanks DogDoc.

How is your therapy going? I have a question about persimmons. I had marked 4 native persimmons about 3 or 4 feet tall. My son and grandson sprayed a plot this afternoon and sprayed those young trees. Will roundup kill them?

Sorry about the refs on the Cowboys. One of those crazy sandlot plays that worked - just for the wrong team.

Thanks DogDoc.

How is your therapy going? I have a question about persimmons. I had marked 4 native persimmons about 3 or 4 feet tall. My son and grandson sprayed a plot this afternoon and sprayed those young trees. Will roundup kill them?

Sorry about the refs on the Cowboys. One of those crazy sandlot plays that worked - just for the wrong team.

Shoulder is coming along well. Probably have close to 60% range of motion. I am ahead of schedule. Working hard and my physical therapist said id be shooting a shotgun in a month. That keeps me motivated.

If the persimmon trees had green leaves then unfortunately I think they are toast. I hope u am wrong. Sometimes woody plants take several sprayings to kill so hopefully it will only set them back and not kill them.

What if I removed the leaves tomorrow morning. It was sprayed this afternoon. Would that reduce the likelihood that they die?

I guess I could gather some persimmon seeds, put some sandpaper to them and stomp them in the ground in preparation for getting some more natives to come up in that section. I would have told them to put some garbage bags over those persimmons before they sprayed if I had been told. Not a big lost but it was avoidable.

Brush,

I am going to plant cutting in a sandbox in the greenhouse and installed an automated misting system. I do imagine I will have a few things to learn about it but I intend to learn how to grow cheaply. I want more established roots before I put them on the farm.

I have studied some on the Missouri Gravel Bed process and this got me motivated. Probably will attempt to reclaim the water if I can.

My next project is to collect rainwater off my stand-alone garage and 2/3 s of my house. I am tired of treating city water with acid to help my chestnut seedlings.

On my project to get Chinese Chestnuts in 95 TN Counties I have reached 50 counties. I got some seedlings to get distributed but I just knew if I carried them thru the hot months and then distributed them they would have a better chance of surviving.

You got a bow season opening on the 15th if I remember correctly. I hope the hunting Gods are kind to you and Elkie.

Wayne,can chestnuts be direct seeded now?I cant remember when I did it last year.My electric fence system is coming along nicely and when I can get a few more hours it should be up and running.My goal is to kill all plants inside the enclosure except what Ive planted.Im going to spray and use lumite both.Even some other fabric I have as well as some old carpet I think.I will prob put a couple beehives over there to help with pollination.

Diamond Hunter,

Yes they can be direct seeded now. If I collected a chestnut, I would put it in water today and check it tomorrow morning. I am hydrating it by soaking it overnight. I will also be float testing it. Now it may float the first hour or so, but many times hydrating it allows it to sink. If it is a floater after being in the water all night - we toss that chestnut.

I don't waste time on floaters!!!

After the night's soaking and float test, I dry the chestnuts extremely well.

Direct seeded chestnuts have to have proper protection against the critters. The "nose" knows - if they can smell it and it is not properly protected, the meal will commence.

I am looking forward to seeing the electrical compound. ;)

What if I removed the leaves tomorrow morning. It was sprayed this afternoon. Would that reduce the likelihood that they die?

I guess I could gather some persimmon seeds, put some sandpaper to them and stomp them in the ground in preparation for getting some more natives to come up in that section. I would have told them to put some garbage bags over those persimmons before they sprayed if I had been told. Not a big lost but it was avoidable.

Probably too late. It gets absorbed pretty fast.

As I have stated on other occasions, we have problems with equipment being safe at the farm. When I built the greenhouse I put a gravel pad on the back for parking our John Deere Tractor. Well I moved it to town this morning along with the bush hog.

Tractor In Place.jpg

Back