House and Habitat build thread:

I'm into native or naturalized plants right now. I figure if they are already growing that I might as well help them along and let nature do the work.
Here are three types of oak and an Elm. All are represented in large numbers and if done right I don't see why they wouldn't be the easiest cover and food source available.
8c3650fa78a319e172975e2c8d92178e.jpg

5fb3f58030da25c053ea410788a1fe9a.jpg

1b322dc370e34999f76008983675bfa5.jpg

4b467048726a1993c852dfc0109d693f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Even though I have a soft spot for the native stuff, I still have lots of "others" going on. I put the last of my chestnut, sawtooth, and various other plants into the ground for the winter. In the spring I'll dig them up and move them to larger pots to be babied for the summer. They'll go into their permanent locations next fall as much larger trees.
d5d5a11f611325dbb87e08a7c6235a56.jpg

The Elderberrry I started last spring did great this yr. You can see the was from the top of my original cuttings still on them. Everything else is new growth. I plan to use this yrs growth as cuttings next spring to fill in a boggy spot or two that we have up on the hill.
1fe1608557f223b0a68cba59883a37db.jpg

Hedge apples (osage orange) are an easy way to get quick cover. Most people don't like hedge but I see them as a great tree. They will survive any weather, zero pests or disease, they can grow into very nice/straight trees, deer LOVE their leafs, and they make great firewood. I take a bucket of hedge balls and throw them to the spots I want trees in a couple of yrs.
37346f840a2b0ca229a3c82f8ea5aab2.jpg

Last edited:
Took the kid snipe hunting today. Damn things are hard to hunt! They flush 40yds out and fly so low to the ground that you don't see them until they are 50yds away. Once you see them and draw a bead they are 60yds out. They certainly don't flush under foot like quail do and give you nice easy shots. We developed a method of sneaking up on marshy spots and "jumping" them. Turns out if you sneak well you can bag one or two.
d400d86b6dd8429ccb2383174a2ac1b1.jpg

ad648af150b338007e88e64dd5e552fd.jpg

Last edited:
What is that a snipe?Are you going to plant hedge

Yep. We had an unusual last couple of weeks and had 10-20 of them at my parents place. They were a blast to hunt but I think they migrated today so we had to get one last walk in today.

Yes, I plant hedge. They are easy, quick cover, high in protein, and preferred by deer. I also find them an attractive tree if taken care of.

Sorry about the pics with no explanations. About the time I walked in the front door this morning my wife was barking about getting to church on time. I guess I was cutting it close ;) Anyway, I got pics downloaded from tapatalk but didn't have time to write anything. I'm home now and getting it taken care of.

Last edited:
Thats what was confusing me,I have planted osage orange also and create mulberry bushes as they are the heaviest browsed plant that I have

Thats what was confusing me,I have planted osage orange also and create mulberry bushes as they are the heaviest browsed plant that I have
Mulberry is hard to keep alive when the deer find them!
We are a rarity around here. Most locals I know spend a great deal of time and effort trying to get rid of hedge. Get some crazy looks if you say you plant hedge on purpose!

I'm into native or naturalized plants right now. I figure if they are already growing that I might as well help them along and let nature do the work.
Here are three types of oak and an Elm. All are represented in large numbers and if done right I don't see why they wouldn't be the easiest cover and food source available.

Between your NWSG and such encroaching brush, there really isn't much more needed! But many over look the natural potential.

The job of wildlife is to make you a living off what the ranch provides!....(paraphrased from Walt Davis)

Nice update catscratch. Congrats on the snipe! I've never seen one that I'm aware of. The longer I do this the more I like nature's way. Early successional habitat is becoming one of my favorite habitat improvements. We've got one we created several years ago that bisects one of our food plots. Just drug a few downed trees into what was once a food plot and let nature take it's course. This is it's 4th year and it's now getting too many hardwood stems in it, mostly sweetgum. We will burn it this winter and let it start all over again.

I have also been really surprised at how much growth we got in our thinned pines. In the rows we removed, the growth is over head high in many areas. Lots of bedding and native browse. We are scheduled to burn this stand late winter which always releases a more diverse seed bank.

Nice update catscratch. Congrats on the snipe! I've never seen one that I'm aware of. The longer I do this the more I like nature's way. Early successional habitat is becoming one of my favorite habitat improvements. We've got one we created several years ago that bisects one of our food plots. Just drug a few downed trees into what was once a food plot and let nature take it's course. This is it's 4th year and it's now getting too many hardwood stems in it, mostly sweetgum. We will burn it this winter and let it start all over again.

I have also been really surprised at how much growth we got in our thinned pines. In the rows we removed, the growth is over head high in many areas. Lots of bedding and native browse. We are scheduled to burn this stand late winter which always releases a more diverse seed bank.
I need to learn more about burning and when to do it for the results I want. Most land around here gets burned but it's late spring and intended to kill everything but grass (cattle country).
Are you basically making a brush-pile, then removing it after it has started growing natives under it?

NWSG are resilient to fire, so I don't think you will knock them back much with fire alone. Dec to early April is a good time to burn if you want more forb and brush regrowth with the grass. Starting out, I believe these are the best times to learn to burn...but may not be the safest times to burn. Keep in mind the further out from last frost date, then the longer bare soil is exposed to erosive forces.....in your area that would be weighted against ERC control....and desired setback of cool season annuals.

Summer and early fall fire can kill trees and really set back tall hardwood brush....with favorable moisture however these areas can come back heavy in low/mid-story brush if not disturbed for 5+ years. Grasses usually are slower to recover because of reserve depletion and more forbs appear.......however, a cool season plant flush will also occur (annual brome emergence would not be favorable for your area due to a large hit on soil water and NH4 nitrogen pool in spring).

IF you come behind a late winter fire with 'patch burn grazing', then forbs will dominate for a couple years. These will generally be forbs of low preference to cattle and deer, if the grazing is of continuous fashion...the trade is a good brooding area for game birds. With planned grazing, you could pull cattle just before forbs of interest germinate for a richer mix of plant species.

If you are interested in more forb density, then study the emergence time and day length of growth for those forbs. Weed ID manuals and other literature may be of help. Plan disturbance to release those plants.

K-state would have the best information for you about fire. A few links:

Thanks for the video's, I've watched them both a couple of times now. I wish the second one went into more detail about the results of each of their plots. I may look on YouTube to see if they had a follow-up or something.

I took your advice and found some stuff from K-State. They are a huge resource of local knowledge. Here is one of their publications on winter burning in the Flinthills. It brings up plant diversity, safety for wildlife, and drought resistance:
http://www.k-state.edu/media/newsreleases/jul14/grasslandburning73114.html

NWSG are resilient to fire, so I don't think you will knock them back much with fire alone. Dec to early April is a good time to burn if you want more forb and brush regrowth with the grass. Starting out, I believe these are the best times to learn to burn...but may not be the safest times to burn. Keep in mind the further out from last frost date, then the longer bare soil is exposed to erosive forces.....in your area that would be weighted against ERC control....and desired setback of cool season annuals.

Summer and early fall fire can kill trees and really set back tall hardwood brush....with favorable moisture however these areas can come back heavy in low/mid-story brush if not disturbed for 5+ years. Grasses usually are slower to recover because of reserve depletion and more forbs appear.......however, a cool season plant flush will also occur (annual brome emergence would not be favorable for your area due to a large hit on soil water and NH4 nitrogen pool in spring).

IF you come behind a late winter fire with 'patch burn grazing', then forbs will dominate for a couple years. These will generally be forbs of low preference to cattle and deer, if the grazing is of continuous fashion...the trade is a good brooding area for game birds. With planned grazing, you could pull cattle just before forbs of interest germinate for a richer mix of plant species.

If you are interested in more forb density, then study the emergence time and day length of growth for those forbs. Weed ID manuals and other literature may be of help. Plan disturbance to release those plants.

K-state would have the best information for you about fire. A few links:

Nice article. Winter burns tend to carry fire better since duff remains more 'fluffy' vs matted after snow or hard rain events.....especially in timber where leaf clutter is the main fuel.

Nice article. Winter burns tend to carry fire better since duff remains more 'fluffy' vs matted after snow or hard rain events.....especially in timber where leaf clutter is the main fuel.
I did some looking at the K-State youtube channel and found one on burning to control Sericea Lespedeza. It was a long video but since I have an interest in controlling this invasive I found it an easy watch. I posted two pics from the video above. The first one is a measure of Sericea plant mass after burns, and the second is seed production (on test plots that went through a two yr burn cycle, each plot burned at a different season). The late summer burn seemed to have huge benefits for Sericea control.

My questions for you are: What are the wildlife implications for this time of burning? Will this type of burning negatively affect deer preferred forbs? It seems this burning would leave the land barren of cover for the winter... erosion problems? wildlife holding problems?

For one.....you will not control that plant.....two, suppression is a reasonable goal.....and three, why worry as you have livestock to impact the plant community?

Yes, late winter/spring fire promotes serecia germination...well documented...as are use of the follow up herbicides for suppression! Counter intuitive reasoning says that elimination of fire and herbicide will suppress serecia.....is that a true statement? No...of course not. Thus, there must be other issues leading to serecia dominance over the long term.

With planned grazing for the last 4 months serecia biomass here is about that of summer fire in the graph (ie a behaved low stature member of the plant community used by cattle before eating fescue or other tame grasses).

Deer here also use that plant until frost knocks off all leaves. I’ve been watching a ditch repair I’d did back in mid-summer…..that really set the plants back to a vegetative state for fall….80% of deer leaving the bedding area each evening would hit the serecia regrowth….about a third would make a hit on it in the AM while returning to bed…don’t know about night as no cam to monitor that. It is a good source of protein and tannins for the animal. They use tannins to remediate toxins of other plants but are limited in the amount of tannins they can metabolize which limits protein intake from the plant. It is a long day warm season legume also….most other warm season broadleafs (including striate lespedeza) have lost their nutritional value/biomass well before first frost here or other long day plants which remain are of low animal preference in general (eg western ragweed).

My point is to start looking at the whole plant picture and management on a property especially the plants you want to promote….not just one dominant low preference plant deemed 'invasive'! What is the main goal of most prescribed fires in the flint hills?....to remove decadent biomass of uneaten and untrampled plants from the prior year to promote a landscape of mainly lush vegetation for high animal gains under set stock grazing…..that goal is too heavily weighted on economics and too little on plant community dynamics. So naturally that annual management repeated the same over time will promote unwanted plants over the long term (serecia, western ragweed, brush, ERC etc). Late weaning and yearling calves are the most selective eaters of all cattle age classes......they repeatedly eat the best and leave the rest given the opportunity....and that will give you a weed issue every year when they leave! The day before I moved the herd last weekend, 8 of the weaning aged calves walked an electric cattle guard to gain access to fresh green forage ahead of the main herd as the main herd was down to stockpiled dormant Bermuda with slight amounts of green....I did nothing....it is just natural selection behavior for them and boosts performance.....the penalty for doing that is no access to water forcing them to again cross the electric fence to visit momma...repeated long enough and they will wean themselves from their mother....that is off-track a bit but I just want to stress how selective growing cattle are by nature and the long term ramifications selective grazing.

Serecia dominance is a byproduct of non-use of existing plants, inadequate thatch cover of soil, and/or non-uniform impact of the landscape (ie season long set cattle stocking). It thrives due to over-rest and lack of disturbance on properties with no livestock and on areas of working lands too far from water for stock to graze/trample properly under set stocking. Their fire study does not report high density grazing effects…just fire, one tool of the whole. Bring in the cow herd during the growing season should you have an outbreak to weaken the plant! On the other hand you may need a summer fire to bring serecia numbers down to a manageable level on infested ground before grazing to promote greater plant diversity. More than one tool is needed...IMO!

Notice in this K-state video that western ragweed is also present on the range land…yet there is no discussion of cattle avoidance of that plant? Like serecia, it is another symptomatic low preference indicator plant of a bigger problem (ie low stock density leading to too much animal selectivity). Broomshedge is another indicator of the same problem (selective grazing) as are many ‘pasture weeds’.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5d_jRHaSyE

In recent years K-state has been looking into increased density cattle grazing and dual specie grazing to suppress serecia. The results on seed production are very favorable! However, an 8 paddock rotation with a 50 day minimum warm season grass recovery for good stocker cattle performance requires a 7 day stay in each pasture. Forage quality will dive hard over the last of those 7 days, thus animal intake and performance will yo-yo. Further, there are long term ramifications on the plant community by grazing rangeland before it has fully recovered…..same way same time year after year…Mother Nature will figure that out! Triple the number of paddocks in that study and reduce grazing stay to 3 days…..the need for fire and perhaps sheep may become unnecessary…..because you have impacted all of the plants more equally and provided longer recovery (70d) for warm season grass recovery…..animal intake and performace will be good on a 3 day stay and higher on 1 day stay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vk1vesUH0E

They are thinking outside the box which is a good thing! When invasive plants are suppressed by grazing in one growing season and enter the next growing season weakened while desirable plants (NWSG) have been allowed full recovery, what plant community will you be promoting? Has the need for fire and/or herbicide not been reduced or eliminated? Is that not economically advantageous?

Quick question (you gave me lots to digest, I've read over it once so don't go too hard on me if I missed something):
You are proposing 24 paddocks with a 3 day stay and a 50 day recovery to help plant communities and diversity...
How many yearling steers would you run per acre on this rotation? 90 days total stay in the summer...

Any severe summer disturbance of warm season range which doesn't allow warm season plants sufficient time for near full recovery will promote a flush of cool season plants in the fall. These opportunists fill unoccupied spaces. Regrowth/germination of warm season forbs should occur. Deer will seek lush growth post-burn. Gamebirds may benefit from easy to catch insects and remnant exposed seed. Wildlife which can escape will adapt....those who move very slowly (box turtle) won't escape.

Any time the soil is bare of litter and lacks full plant canopy, erosion amount and risk increase....and rate of soil water evaporation increases.

In general, erosion on perennial pasture land is 5x or more lower than on cultivated land. Even with fire, erosion increases on grasslands, but if the perennial grass is well established erosion risk is reduced because the grasses recovery very quickly.

Quick question (you gave me lots to digest, I've read over it once so don't go too hard on me if I missed something):
You are proposing 24 paddocks with a 3 day stay and a 50 day recovery to help plant communities and diversity...
How many yearling steers would you run per acre on this rotation? 90 days total stay in the summer...

That was just an example based on the program in video.

Stocking rate should be a bit higher under the 24 than 8 paddock system due to more grass production with longer recovery and higher utilization efficiency. But let's say stocking rate is the same for both......what do they normally set stock calves for the season in flint hills?....I have no clue of your carrying capacity or forage yields but will use one 500 lb steer per acre and 50 ac so 50 steers as example. Savvy, stocking rate for both is the same 1 steer per 1 ac....most people start out with normal stock rate for their area anyway when starting a rotational system....then adjust over time according to seasonal production.

Animal impact is described in terms of animal density and this will determine how uniformly a paddock is impacted, the amount of forage actually eaten, and the amount trampled. The number used for animal impact is the lbs of beef per acre. So total weight of 50 steers is 25,000 lbs of beef....same for each system.

50 ac....8 paddock system....6.25 ac paddocks....7 day stay/paddock......25,000 / 6.25 = 4,000 lb stock density

50 ac....24 paddock system....2.08 ac paddocks....3 day stay/paddock.....25,000 / 2.08 = 12,000 lb stock density

More plants get impacted at higher density as paddock # increases. There will be a threshold density number required to impact low preference plants...many times above 70,000 lbs/ac and several moves per day.

Days grazed play a role as well....since cattle have the option to avoid some area which are fouled or high in low preference plants under a low density set up....thus uneven impact. With smaller paddocks, there are less areas of light impact.

Anytime you are trying to tweak plant diversity 2 factors are highly important.....
stock density to set all plants back evenly...and...time required for full recovery of the most severely grazed desirable plant before grazing again. There is no set numbers for those....each area and year differ.....that is where monitoring and planning comes into play.

Nice buck your boy got Cat and some nice sheds as well. You take kids "snipe hunting" far different than I was treated to as a kid:eek:! I got left in a dark woods holding a burlap bag like an idiot!!! I get the occasional woodcock that migrate thru but nothing worth hunting. I love seeing the ducks on the water as well. My son is talking about picking up waterfowling again once he graduates if he has time.....it's a blast, but not much fun by yourself. You got quite the diversity there at your place.

Back