House and Habitat build thread:

Congratulations catscratch. I called him a "sturdy 150" (net), I'd be curious to know how low my estimate was?

G
I used an online Boon and Crockett calculator which spit out 150.5 after deductions. Didn't study it but it asked for tip-to-tip and greatest spread measurements, not sure how it came up with it's calculations. I stuck the same measurements into a P&Y sheet where you just add up all the points, inside spread, mains, and first 4 circumferences and got 161.5. I didn't do a great job of measuring so don't quote me on those numbers.

Thanks! I thought he had the chance to blow up into a true giant in a couple of yrs. Of course he might have gotten ran over on the highway too. Never know unless you let them go. But, he's the biggest deer I had on cam this yr and now I get to spend more time getting the kids ready for their hunts.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I wish getting run over in the highway was the biggest threat to the bucks using our area... Rifle season isn't until next Saturday and I have counted 14 single shots at prime time, morning and evening over the past 2 days down in the woods directly surrounding our 80 :(

Great buck and story, Cat. And I loved your skyline pic you posted somewhere of Kansas on your morning hunt. Beautiful pic. Congrats.

He's a toad in my book! Man, that is an awesome buck with a beautiful rack. Great story on a great afternoon sit. Always enjoy your updates.

Thanks for the congrats guys!
I put up three new stands yesterday for the kids that I'm really excited about. They should have a good place to sit for just about any wind direction, and two of the stands are just "deery" looking. My oldest really wants to shoot a nice buck, but has his eyes on an individual deer that we had on camera last yr and have found a shed or two from. I don't think chasing a single deer makes for a fun season, but if that's what he wants to do then we can try it. Of course I'm encouraging him to shoot anything that gets his heart pumping.

Correction...15 single shots now :(
That completely sucks!
How do you keep such a good number of bucks with neighbors like that? I watch your thread; you have multiple year histories with certain bucks, you see new bucks every yr, and you/your wife shoot great deer on a consistent basis. It seems like the odds aren't stacked in your favor...

That completely sucks!
How do you keep such a good number of bucks with neighbors like that? I watch your thread; you have multiple year histories with certain bucks, you see new bucks every yr, and you/your wife shoot great deer on a consistent basis. It seems like the odds aren't stacked in your favor...
I think maybe because some are poor shots...some bucks are wounded but make it like the "Hurt 9" buck and the big buck I killed with my Muzzleloader in 2014. We are also in big woods area so solid woods in every direction so some of the bigger wiser deer can feel a little pressure and disappear into the wilderness for a period of time and then we have a bunch of subsistence type hunters around us who just shoot deer period so we lose a bunch of does and small bucks.

0ur 80 has a 160 right next door to our east that is broken up into 16 10 acre "Hunting Camps/subsistence off the grid" type camps with several living on these year around. 3 of the 10's have electricity but the rest do not and they seem to change hands all the time so when you have no problem with one last year all of a sudden the next year you have heck with it. Very stressful! I have been wanting to get my posted signs up for about the past month for that side but right now I am trying to keep our place as quiet as possible but may have to start posting it after work tomorrow because rifle season is this coming Saturday for the legal guys and even with a fence I want the word out as well...

On our west side we have a lady who has several adult sons who hunt on her long skinny 30 acres that runs back to about 3/4 of the depth of our property and her house is at the very back of the property and right against our fence. They see deer from the house along a powerline easement to their place and shoot them there regardless of season. the other west neighbors are also kill them with anything you have in your hand type folks but from the truck decals I believe they fancy themselves to be "Trophy Hunters". Someone owns the land south of our place but I am not sure who and I heard a deer get for sure poached in there on Saturday. I could hear them talking from our house and the 4 wheeler came in and loaded it up and left but I don't think the owners poached it. I think from listening to where the 4 wheeler went that it is some folks from some really ratty trailers about 1/4 - 1/2 mile further west. My North Neighbor is a farmer with a few cows that mainly eat in some fields down lower but some really brushy semi open type area is near our fence. They have family and friends that hunt there but I never really see anyone in there except turkey and rifle season. During rifle pressure can be heavy or light depending on the day. I don't get a poaching vibe from that property but every other one around is poacherville deluxe and that last one could be this year just depending on who comes out to hunt.

I am a native American and a lot of the folks that live in the area are native American as well and some of the culture from that is just shoot a deer when you want it. I know this year our tribe gave every registered tribal member over the age of 16 a hunting license with a buck deer and a turkey tag for free, even the non-hunters. A bunch of these families will try to kill a "Buck Deer" for every HH member (Party Hunting). The Buck deer tag is good for rifle season only but I know for a fact some just read it as good for killing with a rifle whenever because they feel it is owed to them...I do not...I understand a resource can be taken advantage of and can be over-utilized and so we need to follow harvest guidelines to make sure there are enough for everyone.

The odds are truly stacked and if we were in more open ground type area I would foresee we could not possibly see or take deer like we sometimes have the opportunity at but luckily rough country with lots of vertical ridges, hollows, switchbacks and heavily forested keeps some nice deer alive but we do lose some very nice deer to poachers yearly such as a buck I named "Brows" last year and a couple really big 10 point bucks with one poached in 2014 and the other poached last winter after seasons were over...

Long but explanatory of my frustration...If someone was looking to buy a property for big deer I am afraid ours has so many strikes against it that most all would pass yet thankfully a bunch of our neighbors are inept even with firearms during archery only or even non deer hunting periods so we get "lucky" from time to time....

Checked cams tonight. The one I shot was all over the place right before I took him: yard cam, .5 mile to the north, and shot 1 mile to the east. He had a very "muscular" body and was heavy as all get out when I loaded him!
61ec333dd6c55620fead300438f65f05.jpg
181430aaba0b33b78e44d9b45f9a74b0.jpg
8da4564bc5e884537ee56fcb53a0cbf6.jpg

The kids still have bucks available to hunt. The first one is standing in the same place as the previous pic of the one I shot. Shows nice size and good tine length.
53a8623151d1fe7d4f43ba1ebb88d33e.jpg
74803f89cfdfafd273e6e24ee3ed9e08.jpg

Plus other random deer that any 13 and 8 yr old kid should be happy to have a chance at.
d64c5c89bf2121016955be95470cbc66.jpg
a939ad87c9f29987db1587570f09f212.jpg
3ad37f093b7346f0220057b58fe47726.jpg

Congrats Cat on a very nice deer!

Did typing the post describing the hunt take longer than the actual sit? First hunt of season at like 2 hrs? unreal!

Little girl made the 17-2 team this year and she is excited to have a very good coach! We will go to KC and Omaha this season so maybe we can meet up one day!

Congrats Cat on a very nice deer!

Did typing the post describing the hunt take longer than the actual sit? First hunt of season at like 2 hrs? unreal!

Little girl made the 17-2 team this year and she is excited to have a very good coach! We will go to KC and Omaha this season so maybe we can meet up one day!

Thanks! I had no intention of typing up that story, but then Kubota kind of asked for details and once I got started it just kept going. I guess he will think twice before asking again!;)

I only hunted for a couple of hours this yr, but the hunt was very well planned with lots of time going into it. I've been grooming that spot for a couple of yrs with mock scrapes, blind sites and entry paths that I can sneak into without giving away my presence (neither while there or after I've left), and not stepping foot into the spot until the time was right. I could have hunted it any time since mid September but that would have derailed my plan so I stayed out. My hunting strategies get pretty specific and sometimes I don't get much of a season because of it. Now it's my boys turn though. I've purposely kept them out of the better spots in yrs past so that they could work their way up. Shoot some smaller bucks and learn how to hunt and shoot a deer. Hopefully this yr the 13yr old will punch a hole in a nice deer. I wouldn't mind him getting a bigger one than I got this yr but we'll see.

Your daughter is a STUD on the court! After watching her play in that championship game it doesn't surprise me at all that she made the team. I would love to meet up with you and the family, or have you stop by the place if you are traveling nearby. Just let me know a little in advance and we can work it out.

For anyone interested; the grocery store beans are still green. Most have produced pods and beans but are still holding green leafs. Pretty good for mid November but, the only way I see to take advantage of this would be to fence them off. The one's I planted in my fall plots didn't make it more than a couple of weeks before getting vacuumed up.
caae61528e7b549e22b91237e8d304a4.jpg

da21df297718af40540fa8eba10bfc58.jpg

The grocery store beans are finally showing signs of going out (except the lentils, they look fine). A couple of cold nights and heavy frosts were too much for them.

Nice buck Cat, looks like you got lots of good prospects for the kids and next year as well. I wanted to pass the one I took, but I would never pass that buck you took - that's a toad!

Thanks J. Lots of nice deer running around. I saw pics of your buck, nice one for sure!

Here is the only buck my boy saw on Sunday. He came though just at the end of his shooting range and didn't stop once, just walked right on though. Too iffy for him to let one fly, maybe next time. We had 7 does and fawns come through shortly after the buck. I thought the boy might have a heart attack he was so excited. Didn't want to shoot one but having that many deer close was crazy to him.
e1ea5ee54d4a5b440de9829e294b10fc.jpg
055284e78facc20a2c30abbac7437379.jpg

Last edited:
Back