Quapaw Meadows (My 160 Acres)...

Cool pic of the bee. Not cool pic of the hog. Our DNR will come and kill any hog you report to them. So far, I've only ever caught one on camera several years ago. What kind of crossbow will you be shooting? You might have said.

I love watching pollinators.

I have an Excalibur Crossbow-purchased it a few years ago with Cabela Points.

That's cool. One of my female employees shot hers the other night with 3 targets back to back to keep bolt from passing thru. They can be impressive. She's killed several deer, and a nice 8 last year. Glad the wing is healing up for you.

Glad it finally came Todd. We got it today too. Things are changing for the better!!

Me too--thanks. We have had rain chances everyday for a week and somehow the fronts kept missing my place. My place has had less than 0.75" (according to Farmlogs) for September so far. My little plants received a small rain a week ago and most have germinated so they were at a very susceptible stage. This rain should should get them going strong now.

todd

Amazing what a little rain will do. Gotta love cool season annuals. Those little plants know they have a short growing season so they get it going fast.

I went out early this morning in hopes of seeing the boar. He had been hitting a bait station right before first light so I was in the spot early and unfortunately he didn't show up. I checked cameras and I have no more pics of him. Hopefully he was just passing through but I am sure he will be back. Since I have my feeders filled and plots done I'm going to give the place a rest till hunting season. I do have one more place I want to put a stand for the November rut but there is not a tree and cover is too thick for a ground blind---so I ordered a tripod tower stand that I plan on putting in this area. I have a great background and hoping this will be a great pinch point that connects my main plot and a heavy bedding area.

Just 4 days since I was there and I swear the BBJ (Boggy Bottom Jr) plot has thickened up and plants have doubled in size. Blend of rye, wheat, oats, rape, radishes, sunflowers, and ladino clover

Boggy bottom plot of chicory and clover is doing amazing and feeding so many deer. Very little morning use but starting around 5:30pm the plot is loaded with deer all night long. I over seeded the plot with some wheat and rye and I am seeing a little germination but the clover and chicory is so thick i think it is going to choke out most of the seeds.

I dumped a bag of rice bran and a mineral block and the bucks are loving the bran. I believe I have 3 shooters on the property but bucks are still together. I'm sure a couple will be leaving and I'm sure there will a few more to take their place. Can't wait till Oct 1

Todd - Boggy Bottom plot looks amazing! We're still in a holding pattern down here on fall planting. Couple of nice bucks as well.

Todd - Boggy Bottom plot looks amazing! We're still in a holding pattern down here on fall planting. Couple of nice bucks as well.
Really nice bucks! Food plots look great, should be a good season for you, best of luck.

Thanks guys. Very excited for this season. Cooler weather arriving this weekend and rain forecast starting Saturday afternon through Monday could drop over 4" of rain. Too much for the plots but my ponds are very low so 4" of rain should get them filled up and ready for duck season.

Todd

Thanks guys. Very excited for this season. Cooler weather arriving this weekend and rain forecast starting Saturday afternon through Monday could drop over 4" of rain. Too much for the plots but my ponds are very low so 4" of rain should get them filled up and ready for duck season.

Todd

They say we might get an inch over this way if it doesn't all dissipate coming from across the state like it usually does...

Hey doc, good to catch up on your place. How's your new pond doing? Is it holding water well? The persimmon grafts you sent me two years ago are doing well.

Hey doc, good to catch up on your place. How's your new pond doing? Is it holding water well? The persimmon grafts you sent me two years ago are doing well.

Hey Buddy---glad my Okie persimmon grafts are doing well. Maybe fruit next year!!

Pond is doing great---holding a lot more water and getting a good population of bass. I transferred about a dozen or so bass from another pond and they had a great spawn. Plenty of bluegills in there to feed them. All of our ponds are low right now due to lack of rain but I am really hoping that will change this weekend. Forecasting up to 4" from Saturday to Monday. I can't remember the last time we had a good soaker rain. Just a little bit here and there to at least keep everything alive.

todd

We are about as dry as it can get here...rain was in the forecast last week and ran out and put in some food plots hoping to time it just right. The ground worked up like talcum powder....and we only got 0.1". I've got 120 trees I planted last winter that I've been watering weekly...hope they hold on.
Glad the pond is living up to your expectations.
My persimmon grafting techniques have improved greatly in my second year...had a lot take this year.

Had the day off and I wanted to get a tripod stand up before season. I have wanted to put a stand in this spot for a long time but just never seemed to get the time to do it. There really isn't a good tree to hang a stand and since I will be using a crossbow this year I made it a point to get it done. It's kind of a main travel corridor with a pinch point very close to a bedding area. There are 4 major trails that meet at this area. There were a few beds in the area but it is not the main bedding area. I am planning on saving this area for early November when the seeking face usually starts up here in Oklahoma. As you can see in the pic there is a lot of sumac in the spot with several of them already beat up from bucks.

I was able to tuck up tightly again a treeline. The deep creek behind me prevents any movement behind the trees. The stand will be for a North and NW wind.

Looking back to the west:

Straight ahead (North) is thick Oak trees which are loaded with acorns:

And to the Northeast. Straight east is an open 5 acre pecan grove.

I'm pretty excited--I just have to keep self control and stay off the stand until the acorns start to drop and bucks are on the move looking for girls.

thanks
todd

Back