Quapaw Meadows (My 160 Acres)...

I have determined that being a meterologist is the easiest job in the world. I honestly feel they are just actors reading a script and just depend on computer models to predict forecasts. What was suppose to be up to 4" of rain produced 0.4" of precipitation. Now don't get me wrong, the ability to predict severe weather and save people's lives is amazing but they have computer data now that can predict this.

I am thankful for the small amount I got. It will keep my plots and trees alive and still growing.

Todd

I have determined that being a meterologist is the easiest job in the world. I honestly feel they are just actors reading a script and just depend on computer models to predict forecasts. What was suppose to be up to 4" of rain produced 0.4" of precipitation. Now don't get me wrong, the ability to predict severe weather and save people's lives is amazing but they have computer data now that can predict this.

I am thankful for the small amount I got. It will keep my plots and trees alive and still growing.

Todd
That's why I am such a pessimist when it comes to rain - they always promise the moon and we end up getting nothing...my best rains have come on 10% days this summer. Those 80-100% days are usually nothing more than a few clouds...

Okay boys and girls....what has changed over the last several years?.....maybe mid-western Gulf hurricane patterns?...ahe!....no hurricanes on TX LA or MS landfall for how many years? This has a significant impact on the southern great plains and western SE US late summer weather patterns.....expect more late summer drought until 'hurricane season' returns! MY contacts in MS are experiencing the same dry summers and falls as we are! Should you shift planting times closer to fall?...yes, IMO.....adapt your management to the conditions! Pessimism just makes other people pessimistic!

Okay boys and girls....what has changed over the last several years?.....maybe mid-western Gulf hurricane patterns?...ahe!....no hurricanes on TX LA or MS landfall for how many years? This has a significant impact on the southern great plains and western SE US late summer weather patterns.....expect more late summer drought until 'hurricane season' returns! MY contacts in MS are experiencing the same dry summers and falls as we are! Should you shift planting times closer to fall?...yes, IMO.....adapt your management to the conditions! Pessimism just makes other people pessimistic!
You are correct and I cringe when I see fell Okies wanting to plant mid August but I really want to get 4 weeks worth of growth in the plot before season starts.

Planting near first frost gives you about the same type of growth as planting in a drought August... This is my first August planted plot failure I have ever had and I have been planting for many years...It has already been 41 degrees at our home...

My early September plantings just a few miles north are doing well though...

7eecb62eecfe4aaa622775044d212c98.jpg

Opening afternoon. Beautiful day but just a little warm. In the stand at 4pm with a soft SE breeze. Watched my Cowboys beat up on the Longhorns then headed to the stand. Sitting on my main food plot in front of the eaten down Eagle beans.
Clover 25 yards in front of me.

Well I came home empty handed but had a very enjoyable hunt. I ended up seeing a total of 13 deer. Two young bucks. I have this 1.5 year old 5 point buck that is still with his twin sister, mother, and this years fawn. I would have thought she would have kicked him away but I think last year was her first set of twins and just not experienced. He is never separated from the little family group. The wind was very light and this group came right under my stand and busted me. They didn't blow but just started acting very nervous and slowly left the soybeans. After they left the deer just kept filtering in. The 2nd buck (2.5 year old 8 pt) showed up about 6:30 and started grunting and chasing all the does on the plot. Most of them got fed off and left. I had a nice fat 1.5 year old doe offer me a sweet 15 yard broadside shot. I put the scope on her but decided I didn't really want to shoot a doe yet. The 8 point finally ran off all the does and fed under me for about 20 minutes offering shot after shot. He will be a nice buck in another 2 years.

So that was my first hunt of the season. No big boys showed up tonight.

todd

Evening day 2 finds me in a ladder stand with a,dry creek behind me. In between a bedding area and food plot. Hot. I'm sure I stunk the place up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Todd...Did my 1st sit of the season as well yesterday afternoon. Sat in our "white oak" draw and had deer come in almost as soon as I got settled. Had the same thing with a 1.5 yr old cow horn spike. Still with his family group. Most times they've been ran away by that age. It was a very enjoyable sit in decent temps. 5 deer came in. Good wind so didn't get busted. Just watched em which it seems I do more and more the older I get.

Always enjoy your updates!

Good luck Todd! I'm sharing the heat with you this evening. I am in the stand I had the close encounter with laid back 9 out of when I was hunting the hog in July...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did not see a thing-not even a squirrel. Just don't have too many good options with a SE wind.

I had PT on my shoulder this morning and then needed to run out to the 160 to do some mowing so I can park my travel trailer to spend some nights out there to hunt. Decided to check cameras so drove the tractor to the cameras in hopes of not overly spooking anything. It's still very hot so I have only been hunting twice. Received 0.2" of rain last night but you couldn't tell it all. At least it's something.

The new BBJ plot is doing well in spite of the dry conditions. Suppose to get some good rain tomorrow and friday so hope that forecast comes true.

Plot was planted Labor day weekend so it's been a month. Rye, wheat, oats, radishes, rape, sunflowers, and ladino clover.

I made a mock scrape on the edge of the plot and it looks like it is getting used.

Thought I'd show a pic of the throw and till plot. Not doing too bad considering how much time was put in it.

Back