The forgotten red oak

ncstewart

So I have been planting trees on my 30 acres for a few years now and have never planted an oak in the red family.
I am wanting to mix some in and just wondering which ones y'all like.
I'm planting in zone 7a. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last of my reds died 30 years ago because of some sort of disease. I did not know what it was because I was young and dumb. I have not seen one in years.

Sorry to here that. We had a bad kill years ago here as well but we still have a lot of red oaks left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We lost a bunch of red oaks from 2010 till now due to the oak wilt...we still have a few but they are not near as numerous as they were. I have noticed almost every living red oak I have looked at on our place this year is loaded. Not near as many white oak acorns this year as has been in the past couple years...

Shumard is our native red oak here and I have planted a few...

Shumard Oak. Read up on it. It is quickly becoming my favorite deer tree. Drops heavy and for a LONG time, produces at an early age (8-10yrs). The acorns are large and as sweet as a white oak (yeah, I tasted both of them). I planted about 10 last year and plan on planting many more this year.

Shumard Oak. Read up on it. It is quickly becoming my favorite deer tree. Drops heavy and for a LONG time, produces at an early age (8-10yrs). The acorns are large and as sweet as a white oak (yeah, I tasted both of them). I planted about 10 last year and plan on planting many more this year.

I have some planted. I hope they are sweet, too.

Never knew they were sweet, but they grow fast for an oak. I planted up 2 small fields in chinkapin, swamp chestnut, and shumard oaks back in 07. I mowed them the first three years then let them go. They have made a great sanctuary for now and what I hope turns into a great mast producing spot in a few more years.
As far as red oaks go, I'm a shumard fan too.

I love this tree

Actually I love any tree that survives Texas heat

Shumards are prolific producers here

I have over 100 in 1 gallon root pouches started from seed in march now~ 2-3 feet tall

easy to grow

bill

Back