"Whitetail Hollow" - 90 Acres NE Oklahoma.

Good luck with him!
Good luck in the morning and I hope and pray that you have a recovery story!

Waiting in anticipation as I'm sure you are as well.
Hope to see the hero shot tomorrow morning...makes for a long night...we have all been there!
Good luck! Will be checking in tomorrow morning for the good news.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Hope you find him. At work but will check later today to read the story. I am sure the picture will be awesome! We'll be waiting.

I appreciate the well wishes and prayers you guys sent. I think the positive vibes you guys put out certainly helped my outcome and certainly gave me a positive attitude along with my wife telling me I would find him quick going into the search this morning...

Good news Johnny, very nice buck...Congrats.
Good stuff!
Awesome! Congrats!
Oh my, congratulations.

G
Very nice buck. Congratulations ! Nice to get one under the belt early in the season.
Wonderful! Congrats.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
Congrats, that is a fine looking buck.
Congrats. Very well deserved.
Congrats! Fine buck

Thanks guys for the kudos...story coming quickly!

Not sure what to think of this... I'm going to miss seeing pics of "laid back 9" on the hoof.
:)
Congrats! I bet you had a restless night!!!
It is kind of bittersweet...3 years of history on this buck and I thought he was over 5yrs old 3 yrs ago...he was top of the list based on age...

I found him less than 15 yards from where I left off last night and he is intact. Story to come but a teaser picture now...I am happy!

ab4e54b39df15b864350fe765257558b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm so happy and proud for you! He's going to look great on the wall!!!

Story time...

I hunted our deer lease Sunday morning and had a great hunt seeing numerous deer and some really nice bucks. After the morning hunt my wife and I hung a deer stand and then she left for home. I stayed because I had a bit more work to do. My friends Larry and Brian were in camp and Larry noticed I had a flat on the rear of my truck. Had a nail in it so I got my plug kit out and plugged it and pumped it up with a little compressor that runs off the cigarette lighter. After I got the tire fixed and got my work done it was almost 4:00 and I was about a little over an hour from home and I was worn out.

When I got near our home I noticed the deer hunters had arrived at the camp next to our property. A man who owned 160 acres there sold it all off in 10 acre parcels years before we bought our place. There are 8 of these parcels along our east border so we have a bunch of hunting pressure. I knew "Laid Back 9" was very active during the daylight right now per our trail cameras so I made the split second decision to hunt him yesterday evening even though it was very hot and the wind wasn't perfect...

I have history with this buck since we bought our place in January 2014. Here is a pic of him back then...

ec5b075fd90e2b95e3423b75b8b7b780.jpg

And a pic of him in 2015 when I named him...

3f3f4c2e16899bd9ccc1c1ffe6efe866.jpg

He typically leaves our property by the second week in October and is missi until January the following year. He did it year after year. I knew he would leave soon...

I made my way to the White Oak Stand which is almost geographically center of our property and climb aboard for the wait at about 5:20 or so...

At about 5:45 I had some turkeys pass by but I chose not to try for one and then a couple minutes later I had a doe and young fawn come headed toward our south plot. I wanted to take pictures but the doe was absolutely wired so I didn't chance it. About this time one of the 10 acre neighbors decided to start fixing one of their wooden tree stands with a hammer and she got nervous and they went back the way they came.

About 15 minutes later a young 8 point and doe fawn cam by and at almost the same time someone fired a high powered rifle in the woods to my NW.

A few minutes later 2 does and 2 fawns made their way past me headed toward our south plot...

Just before dark I heard something coming and the deer I was after walked up out of the creek bottom and was walking past at 10 yards when I released the arrow. The light was so poor I never saw the hit but he bucked like a bronco and ran headlong through the brush. I thought I heard him go into the creek bottom. I got down and picked up my arrow and searched around right there for blood but didn't find any for about 10 yards and it was sparce...I followed it about 25 yards and lost it and my light was getting very dim so I decided to back out till morning because I didn't want to push him to the neighbors land.

My wife told me I would find him after I told her my story. I had a fairly restless night and at first light I was in the woods looking in the creek bottom. I never saw anything so I eased out of the bottom back up to my stand and then moved toward where I had lost blood the night before. As I was easing along I jumped some deer out of the thicket I was in and they ran west deeper into our property. I went to where the deer ran from and my buck was right there and just 15 yards past where I stopped looking last night.

739e01ea2f3ac013225962ee4f4756d7.jpg

I gutted him immediately and noticed my arrow had went in slightly back of aim point because he was walking and it came out the gut area on his off side due to the angle. I got a lung and his liver.

I tried to get a picture of myself with the buck but my arm is not long enough...

0353170196828db3419ca9629b538e76.jpg

d97239f86f84ddb3dbff4e47a9dbc4c4.jpg

He has a main beam that droops and hooks down on the end that came in handy for loading him into my very tall truck...

83378f545336cb85b8c1b69feefe1166.jpg

f1f2af5df8ec2d973a8b210f49965313.jpg

I took him to the deer processors and asked them if I could skin him myself in their skinning shed so I could take the cape and head right away and they said that would be great. This buck was rolling in fat...

adb7f99b9bd3f042f2a043a498527299.jpg

Entrance

7d3fe40d3fcac7c2e15aa635fdd77382.jpg

Exit...

c3979b88390528befb504e0bbc1d3839.jpg

As soon as I got him skinned I headed to the taxidermist with him. I called him on the way and he was driving back from a Canadian moose hunt and said he was about 30 minutes away. We got to his shop about the same time. I have another buck with him there already and he said they would both be done soon. We picked up 5 bucks from him earlier this year...

That is the story :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow just an awesome story, hunt, and buck. Couldn't happen to a better guy. Congrats, and maybe you should pray for drought every year. Great job thinking of where and when to hunt. Can't kill one sitting on the couch. Loved the arms too short pick. Again, congrats.

Seriously, congrats! I really felt for you when you couldn't find him last night, with all the drought problems a win like this was overdue! What a great history and to have it finally come together for you, just awesome.

Great story, congrats on a fine looking buck! Glad the coyotes did not find him. Your deer must be getting plenty of food, that is a serious fat layer on that deer. Need to change his name from Laid Back 9 to Lots of Fat 9:D

Back