Geo in Co

Oh my - and the vacation gets better, and better and better.........

It has been a long time since I caught a true lunker bass, for northern Michigan I'm calling a 6 pounder a lunker. I'm guessing the above bass to be 4-5lbs? For 7,950ft I'm calling them lunkers. I've already crossed off the bucket list an 18" rainbow and 2ft of powder.

G

I had just caught a 6 pounder but I didn't know how to hold the fish out in front of me and my Brother didn't know how to get the top half of my head in the picture. I rowed back in to shore and Gary was just bitching his ass off, his lure is in the weeds. That's to be expected with a sinking lure in a foot of water. I gave him a jointed Rebel floater and the first cast to shore he caught this 6.25lb, no more bitching.

G

bass (1200 x 791).jpg

LOL, George. "his lure is in the weeds. That's to be expected with a sinking lure in a foot of water." Sounds like my brother too.

You should see my brother get a spinner caught on a limb while casting and then fight the tree for ten solid minutes, spooking every trout within 20 miles with that whipping, leaf ripping, expletive-laden fury. ROFL. Brothers are the best.

So my life of leisure in Colorado continues, I did get some work done last week so I'm not a total slug.

DSC07269 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC07262 (1200 x 900).jpg

I have yet to see any undulates migrating through the hood. It has been colder and snowier in the Midwest than in CO.

I have been processing wood products

DSC07272 (1200 x 900).jpg

but the pile is still sturdy.

DSC07268 (1200 x 900).jpg

I wish that I could say the same about my dwindling venison supply.

DSC07256 (1200 x 900).jpg

The house is usually pushing about 80 degrees during the day when the furnace is lit. After 10 cool years in Iowa, I wasn't sure how I would adjust to being warm but me and Hank seem to be doing ok.

DSC07266 (1200 x 900).jpg

The news from Iowa, not so good.

The new owner still hunted with bow and friends my old Sanctuary. One not very impressive 10 point was killed. The new guy didn't bother with a hunting license this year. Some small caliber weapons fire was also heard.

My vast array of diverse plantings, including my tall grass, up front will be planted in to alfalfa next year by the Amish. Penny weed and curlydock will prevail.

The new guy figured that he would just stiff me on 2g still owed for the tractor and implements. The deal was 6g worth of equipment for 3g. I asked a friend to go check on the tractor before it got cold and he contacted me after it got cold to tell me that the fluid inside the engine block was frozen solid. While he was there he noticed a buggy and horse parked in the shed. The Amish have been given permission to hunt Hickory Ridge. So Hickory Ridge went from good hunting to public poaching in less than a year?

G

So the new guy really didn't buy it for hunting then. Kind of a shame but, what can you do. Too bad about the tractor too.

Sad to hear about the Iowa property. Your neighbors will surely be missing you when they see the quality of deer diminishing...

So the new guy really didn't buy it for hunting then. Kind of a shame but, what can you do. Too bad about the tractor too.

Sad to hear about the Iowa property. Your neighbors will surely be missing you when they see the quality of deer diminishing...

The new guy paid the record price for recreational land based on the deer heads that I had on the wall, he just doesn't have a clue.

Hickory Ridge was an island in a sea of poaching which has now been submerged by the tide.

I knew that I was the single most important factor that made Hickory Ridge the place that it was.

It's kind of funny in regards to the tractor, I probably would have sold the stuff to him without a contract but he insisted that I write up a contract. So I did and we even had a witness to our signing, sign it. It has become a matter of principle now that he ruined the tractor, he will pay me or end up with an interest bearing lien on the property.

G

I guess the new guy lives somewhere else and is using the Amish for his field work in exchange they get to hunt the sanctuary...you are right...no clue...

Is there a reason the tractor didn't have anti freeze?

I guess the new guy lives somewhere else and is using the Amish for his field work in exchange they get to hunt the sanctuary...you are right...no clue...

4 16 Farm 089 (1000 x 750).jpg

Ah the Old Beater, 5 gallons of gas, 1qt 30 weight, and a half gallon of water and it was ready to work. Run with the radiator and gas cap loose. I told the new guy, after the last usage of the fall, put a gallon of antifreeze in the radiator and drag the disk for a 100 yards.

G

Been hearing troubling reports from the Amish in general as major exploiters of natural resources, i.e. Game species.

He will get to exploit the field for his field work, exploiting the deer is an added bonus.

Been hearing troubling reports from the Amish in general as major exploiters of natural resources, i.e. Game species.

I have caught a number of them poaching and lying about it, such activities apparently do not jeopardize their Salvation.

My Amish friend John became the recipient of the carcass from my 10 point that Teddies criminal customers last poached out of my Sanctuary with rifles during bow season three Octobers ago. When I asked John, the Father of 4 young daughters why he didn't thank me for the tasty venison that I provided his family, he lied and said that said animal never existed. I told John that he is going to keep having baby girls as long as he keeps lying and he said that would be just fine with him. Another lie.

One time John showed me a trail cam picture of an Amish guy trespassing, carrying stolen sheds, smoking a cigarette, and packing a side arm. I asked John if this guy had to go before the Big Cheese as a result of being caught? He did. I asked what his punishment was? There was no punishment. Why not? He is the Bishop's son.

G

Rather heartbreaking to see what you have accomplished crumble in the hands of thugs. It sounds to me as if you sold a bunch of private property stress....which in the long run is a good thing for your health! I am sure CO brings it's own unforeseen stresses, but at least you are free of the stresses of hunting land ownership. Enjoy life my friend!

Come to OK....the same can be said of some Native Americans. More to do with an individual than a group, but some groups live by different law and ethic.

Back